Fear Not: Energy Hook ‘PS4/Vita First,’ But Only On Console

By Nathan Grayson on January 10th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Energy Hook is kind of an awful game title. Personally, I would've called it 'WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE: I Can Swing Everywhere On This Rope Thing And Be On Top Of Buildings And There Are Missions In This Game Eh I Don't Really Care More Swinging WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'

A series of troubling headlines emerged recently, claiming that airborne acrobatic fanatic (and distant Spider-Man 2 relative) Energy Hook would be coming to PlayStation first – in other words, before PC. If true, this would’ve been especially upsetting given that the game’s $41,000 Kickstarter tethered its neon beam rope to PC, Mac, and Linux. “You funded this for your platform of choice,” developer Happion would’ve been saying, “but Sony kicked us a few extra bucks so yeaaaaaaaaaah.” That, however, is absolutely not the case. Confusing wording nearly left us stranded high and dry, but Happion’s Jamie Fristrom was all too happy to swing in and save the day.

After some initial reports got backers hot under the collar, RPS touched bases with Fristrom to clarify the situation. He explained:

“I meant ‘first of the consoles - I realize now that was really murky. [Day-one launch] will be concurrent with PC. (And PC is really first because you can get the current build RIGHT NOW).”

Phew.

That’s all taken care of then. I’m glad everything worked out for the better, too, because Energy Hook looks quite promising. Spider-Man 2 gripped many of my young hours in its radioactive mandibles, and nearly every aspect of it was middling to terrible except the swinging. So a game all about said swinging (plus new stuff)? Sign me up.

The finished version of Energy Hook will be out sometime in 2014 on PC, Mac, Linux, and I guess some consolebox or another, you know, if you swing that way.

, , .

1. Moraven says:

Sony did a lot of investment into Indies for PS4 and most of them are “console” exclusive with same day PC watch. Was a big worry for a lot of fans of already in development games. Of course some may end up as a pure exclusive or timed exclusive.

Have to be clear with your words especially if you are funded by a Kickstarter.

• Angthe1932 says:

my roomate’s mother makes $76 hourly on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $18909 just working on the laptop for a few hours. why not try this out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2. Apsley says:

Have I really just read ‘RPS touched bases’?

I feel so dirty.

Cinek says:

I apply a rule simple:
    Never support kickstarters that get released on consoles (whatever this is a stretch goal or a primary one)
    This saves me a lot of worries

• Surlywombat says:

So you either never support a kickstarter (fair enough) or you are a time traveller!

• HadToLogin says:

Or he simply read what is written on kickstarter pages, you know, use control+f and look for console, xbox, ps, playstation. And only kickstart if his find comes empty.

• Runty McTall says:

I think, by the literal interpretation of his words, he won’t know if a game is going to be released on a console at some time in the future, even if this were not announced or even planned during the Kickstarter.

• Grey Poupon says:

I’m pretty sure that if by the time the project is finished they’re not willing to give you what you were promised, you’re entitled to your money back. Especially if the promised date has passed (in that case I think you can ask for your money back either way though).

All it takes is one monetary shitstorm to stop all of them from even thinking about delaying the PC launch in favor of a console launch.

4. rolandormcquiston says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site….. http://www.dub30.com

5. Hencts says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $87 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her payment was $21413 just working on the computer for a few hours. read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

6. MattM says:

it’s kinda crazy how the spider-man series of games progressed. Every review I read of S-M 2 noted that the complicated web-slinging was the highlight of the game and saved it from the rest of the rather mediocre elements. Thus in future games the developers decided to greatly simplify the web-slinging. WHY?
    Edit: I haven’t played all of the latter games, only some so I could be missing the great web-slinging revival. Has anyone else tried them all and would care to educate me?