Out Of Exile: Banished Releasing In February

By Nathan Grayson on January 10th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

This! Soon!

Things are going to get ugly in the intergalactic Milky-Way-orbiting RPS space pyramid when it’s time to review splendid-looking city builder Banished. We’ve already divided into embittered, warlike factions in anticipation of the day we decide who’ll do the honors. Those factions will, of course, splinter with time, rotting into sticky morasses of selfishness and treachery. The Smiths – made up of Adam, Graham, and Quinns’ restless ghost – might be all buddy-buddy now, but even they will fall into disarray when push comes to shove. Mark my words. And that day will arrive… oh hey, in a few weeks. Banished is coming out in February. Wahey!

As of now, Banished is officially content complete, so developer Shining Rock has elected to pluck a release date from the ethers. The rather astounding (especially for a one-man project) game will be out on February 18th. It’ll run you “around $20.”

It’s been a long road for Banished’s creator, but the finish line is finally in sight.

“Testing progress has been slow over the holiday season, so the current build will be tested until release, checking everything I’ve touched in the last month and a half – the final tutorials, help system, and minor code and balancing tweaks. Just to be sure things are in working order.”

“Ah, I remember when I quit my job and thought I could make a game in one year. It took three times as long, but it was definitely worth it, and the process was really satisfying!”

So there you have it. Prepare to banish friends, family, and other elements of your personal life. You’ve got tiny people to manage. And me, well, I still have a harrowing workplace conflict to prevail over. If I can turn The Mascots (Horace, Ian Cacodemon) against The Old Ones (John, Alec, Jim), then I’ll have everyone right where I want them. And then, well… mwahahahaha [skitters off into space pyramid vents].

__________________

« | »

, .

1. TillEulenspiegel says:

Really looking forward to this one. Like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress, it’s an impressive example of what one single person can accomplish in a not-too-unreasonable timeframe. From a blank slate to a finished product in three years is well within the range of normal development times for a nontrivial game.

And it’s only very slightly delayed from the original public estimate of late 2013.

2. Squirrelly says:

Most exciting release of the year for me! (Except maybe Mount and Blade 2, but it’s hard to tell where that’s at). Really hope this one blows the doors off, I’d love to play more city sims that are close to one-to-one simulated

3. stoner says:

Been following this for over a year. So looking forward to it. And, at only $20, a great deal as well.

4. rolandormcquiston says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site….. http://www.dub30.com

5. BTAxis says:

I’m so getting this at the earliest opportunity.

6. Merijeek says:

One-man studio can produce a tutorial, PGI still hasn’t managed anything apart from a basic MWO tutorial on movement.

7. Hathouty says:

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site…>> http://WWW.BAY93.COM

8. Smashbox says:

Can’t wait for this game! Congrats to its creator for this accomplishment.

Looking forward to buying this!

9. Hencts says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $87 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her payment was $21413 just working on the computer for a few hours. read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

10. iucounu says:

Delightful! Very like Dwarf Fortress, but with nice graphics. Can’t wait.

11. Hencts says:

12. Jomini says:

I rather dislike how bland the visual style and the interface looks.

• noodlecake says:

It’s very unlikely that someone would be a very good games programmer AND have a fantastic art background at the same time. Derek Yu is the only person I can think of, and he’s a freak of nature. I think this guy has done a pretty good job. The art style is a little bland but it does work.

13. Carra says:

Being a long time fan of city builders like Caesar/Anno this will probably be a day one buy.

14. kud13 says:

I think I’m the only person here getting Settlers vibes from this game, rather than DF or somesuch.

Regardless, it looks lovely, and I am certainly buying this to add to my great pile of games to play someday. I will be buying this to support ambitious developers and DRM-free citybuilding games.

• TWChristine says:

No, I’m with you there. Then again, my foray into DF went something like “Ok, everyone at RPS talks about this so I need to atleast give this a try……..aaaand I have no idea what I’m doing……I don’t understand what this Wiki is telling me……Yea, maybe some other time.”

I was however, a huuuuge fan of Caesar 3, spending hours upon hours fine-tuning my cities. I always try to get into SimCity (1-4) and usually bounce off after a while, so I’m hoping this might be somewhere in between SimCity and Caesar.

• Kerbal_Rocketry says:

I wonder how many people who compare it to DF have played Dwarf Fortress a lot.
        To me the defining feature of DF is the organic story telling, how the game will evolve as you play and the fort will gain character, i generally follow the lives of a few dwarfs to both keep an eye on happiness and since its interesting.
        Hopefully Banished will be similar, with names and personality rather than “Peasant #42″ and a single build that is perfect for all settlement starts.

• BluePariah says:

Actually, it strikes me as a rather more serious version of Tropico 4. Same scale (isolated island) and level of detail. However, I’d say Banished probably (haven’t played it obviously) has more elaborate trading (T4′s is pretty basic) but less elaborate down-to-the-citizen level of simulation (wants, needs, moods, politics etc). Either way, I’m totally down for this. (and Tropico 5!)

• SheffieldSteel says:

The inspiration for this came mainly from Anno 1404 (Dawn Of Discovery), I think.

15. shimeril says:

Definite Day 1 purchase this. Should save me heaps from not buying other games. Well, that’s my expectation anyway.

16. McTerry says:

YATTA!!!!

17. nindustrial says:

Very intrigued and cautiously excited for this one. But how dare you tease us with a possible Quinns-from-beyond-the-grave review! I now demand it!

18. Ergates_Antius says:

When you do the WIT on this, be sure to cover the agriculture side in detail. Growing stuff is where it’s at, not enough games let you grow stuff.

19. DelrueOfDetroit says:

Look at all of those golden grahams.

20. Fattsanta says:

Really psyched about this, havent enjoyed a city builder for quite some time.

Comment on this story