Wuh-Oh: Metal Gear Rising Unplayable Offline

By Nathan Grayson on January 10th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

I might be a big, mean robot, but mainly I'm sad and jealous of your humans hands. My cruel master gave me giant boat paddles for arms, and I will never be able to hold a sword or, indeed, my mewling robotic children.

Edit: Steve Key, European Brand Manager for Konami, confirms that this was an accident rather than a DRM issue and the publisher has applied a fix: “MGR PC Update – offline problems *should* now be fixed.” That’s quick work and commendable.

Oh no, say it ain’t so. Another single-player game that boots its owners back into cold, cruel reality the second an Internet connection drops? That would be the saddest of shames if it were the full story. Fortunately, that doesn’t appear to be the case. While it’s true that Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on Steam falls to freshly sliced pieces when an Internet connection isn’t holding it together, the issue is apparently not intentional DRM. Signs instead point to a Steam API error, though Konami and Platinum have yet to respond in any official capacity.

The closest thing we have to a developer or publisher response at this point is a confused “bwah?” from Platinum producer JP Kellams, who tweeted that he has “no idea” why this is happening. He promised to bring it to his team’s attention immediately. “Don’t freak out,” he added. “I’ll try to find out what’s up.”

In the meantime, NeoGAF users have narrowed down the problem’s cause to Steam’s API. We still don’t know if Konami intended for it to function that way, but – at the very least – third-party DRM software is not responsible.

Given Kellams’ surprise and the nature of this not-quite-DRM, it seems like this is all just a big mix-up. Until Konami issues a comment and/or fix, however, it’s impossible to know for sure. We’ll keep you updated.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Clavus says:

Konami responded “in official capacity” 9 hours ago and promised us a fix, so the article lacks a bit of research:

• BobbyDylan says:

Twitter isn’t research.

• Luringen says:

When it’s public statements from developers or publishers, it is.

• misterT0AST says:

Which makes it even worse.

• Wauffles says:

Why tho

• Syra says:

Because.

• alw says:

Maybe ‘cos it’s basically a propoganda outlet – it exists only to put forward a point of view beneficial to one party. From a journalistic point of view, anything on it should be viewed with scepticism and should be backed up by other sources before being reported on. Just a guess, anyway.

• Cam says:

If the people answering on twitter are the same people who would be answering if a journalist showed up in public, then it doesn’t matter what the difference is.

It’s not like a politician, for example, would lie on twitter but not when they’re in front of a microphone, right?

• Clavus says:

If it’s the official verified Twitter of the publisher, which is the ideal channel of communication for these kind of quick updates, why not?

• Mathaw says:

Twitter is purpose designed to be an ephemeral feed. It’s not a PR archive or press repository. If you didn’t see it when it was posted then it’s already irrelevant.

• Torn says:

The fact that tweets are ephemeral over the long-term isn’t relevant here. When the article was written, a quick look at Konami’s twitter feed for official responses would have taken 2 minutes.

• Angthe1932 says:

my roomate’s mother makes $76 hourly on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $18909 just working on the laptop for a few hours. why not try this out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2. Greggh says:

Now THAT almost scared my 100-million-pieces-sliced soul outta my body

3. Tatty says:

There’s also a bug similar to the one CRYSIS has/had. If you’re using an HDMI monitor you’ll be booted into 24hz at 1920×1080. I’m running an ATI card so the fix is thus: Run RadeonPro and force vsync on. Also force the game to run in your monitor’s default resolution (if you’ve got a 60hz monitor anyway, dunno how it works otherwise).

• XhomeB says:

I think they said on twitter they’re working on a fix for that one.

• Tatty says:

They’re bigger men than Crytek then. Last time I checked, the bug was still in CRYSIS/CRYSIS 2.

Apart from that, I’m loving the game. The first boss battle is everything I love about Kojima’s vision. And I know Kojima didn’t do this game. ;-)

• Low Life says:

Yeah, this was quite annoying as I wanted to play the game on my TV. Windowed mode works properly, so you can also use that (and maybe try the various methods of making a windowed game borderless window instead).

• darkChozo says:

I get a fun thing where my monitor seems to think that the 1920×1080 output is in an unsupported format and displays a nice message saying so over the game. Still good at 1280×720, though.

4. XhomeB says:

Steam DRM rears its ugly head again. If I recall correctly, Dead Island suffered from a similar problem for quite a while.
    Anyway, the port is actually GREAT. Runs super smoothly, the only issue is the max resolution being locked to 1920×1080, but that is bound to be circumvented by modders or fixed by PG/Konami down the line.

• Luringen says:

The mouse controls are bad though, but since it’s only for camera movement it’s not a big deal. The camera doesn’t move at the same speed as the mouse as it’s capped at a fairly low max speed, and aiming with bazookas, etc. works badly as mall mouse movements are not picked up. Apart from that it’s a good port.

5. derbefrier says:

I was thinking about buying this and saw that pretty much every negative steam review was all about this drm thing. People who actually played the game seemed to be really enjoying it though.

• Ocki says:

Yeah, it’s pretty enjoyable. I played for about 1,5 hours and had no issues so far. It runs nicely on my 2-year-old rig. Much better port than Deadly Premonition and Dark Souls as far as I can say, despite the problems mentioned above.

• subedii says:

Yeah it is a pretty decent port I’m finding.

An addendum to that is that there are plenty wondering just why the game is so HUGE (around 27GB). I haven’t got confirmation for this, but I suspect it’s because a lot of the cutscenes are pre-rendered movies.

Now unlike almost every other console port I’ve played, I didn’t actually notice this at first. The movies have been re-rendered in 1080 for the PC (hence why I suspect they’re the source of the size of the game), and visually there isn’t the kind of clunky drop or change in visual quality or style that I’ve come to expect from switching between in-game and FMV. To be honest, I don’t think I’d have realised for a while except that I had a frame-rate counter running in the corner (to make sure that maxing the settings didn’t cause any drops) and saw that it dropped to 30 FPS during certain cutscenes.

It’s pretty seamless. This is good, and other devs: PLEASE take note. It doesn’t take a tonne of effort to do and it makes such a massive difference compared to the janky cut between cutscenes and gameplay that seems to be the status quo. Short of actually running those scenes in-engine PC-side, at least re-rendering them is the next best option.

• Wedge says:

No, people have looked at the file structure, it is 24GB of movie files with a 3GB game. Must’ve been working off the PS3 version where you can put movie files like that on there because Blu-Ray and why the hell not.

And while it is sort of dumb, I do think it’s better than the many PC versions of games that have ugly 720 compressed pre-rendered scenes that look awful compared to the in-game graphics (hi Deus Ex: HR).

• subedii says:

I’m not sure whether you’re agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Because you start off saying “No” but then everything in your post seems to be stuff I concur with and thought I posted. :)

I was also thinking of Human Revolution when making that post. Completely incongruous. They deliberately tried to keep the models and characters looking the same, but aside from the obvious low resolution movies, they also had very different lighting to the main game. I just didn’t see the point.

6. Wauffles says:

GAME BROKEN

(to clarify game is now not broken)

7. mukuste says:

Again it’s Durante who is figuring shit out, the same guy who made the Dark Souls PC fix.

8. Scumbag says:

There are some teething issues with the port certainly, including save issues, resolution problems and this Not-DRM thing, but it is one of the better ones out of Japan for an older ported game.

I will also add:
    RULES OF NATURE!

• welverin says:

Older? The games not a year old yet, I’d call that speedy for a game that wasn’t originally planned to release on PC. We’d still be waiting if Ubisoft was publishing it.

I just hope they still plan to release MGS5 for PC, everything I’ve seen about that lately hasn’t mentioned a PC release.

9. Tei says:

If the game had any problem, I did not notice it.

As soon it was available, I was able to play it. It had to stop after one minute, … the game is very intense and my hands hurt (I am not good with control pads).

10. altum videtur says:

NANOMACHINES, SON!

11. internisus says:

It’s definitely a solid port, but I very much wish I could take it to 1440p or 120fps.

There are a few more irritating problems, however, at least for me. Every time I bring a menu screen up or see the game over screen, my mouse pointer appears over the game in the dead center of the screen, which of course leads me to take one hand off my controller and shove it away again. One of those types of annoyances that I worry is so small that it may not be fixed. Worse, I suppose, is that in both cutscenes and codec conversations dialogue is out of sync with lip movement. The lip movement actually looks good, like it would fit well, but all of the voice audio is just a half-second too late, which really pulls me out of things.

It’s great that they acted so quickly regarding the online-only problem, but I’d really like to hear from Konami or Platinum that they intend to provide support on these other issues as well, even if they won’t be resolved overnight. Of course I’m thrilled to get a Platinum *and* a Metal Gear game on PC at all, and as I said it’s a good port; I just want it to be its best.

12. aiusepsi says:

A lot of this sort of stuff often comes down to how well the game uses the Steam API, which is often badly.

It’s actually possible to use the SteamAPI in such a way that the game will still work (albeit with Steam functionality disabled) even if Steam isn’t running at all, and there’s instructions on how to do it in Valve’s documentation.

Anyways, looks like the drama is over, this time.

Edit: Looks like a lot of this can be chalked up to just Steam noobishness. The guy posting the “official response” in the Steam Community forums isn’t tagged as a developer on the game http://steamcommunity.com/app/235460/discussions/0/630802344150872350/ and they’ve got the game set up on Steam so that it won’t autoupdate (noupdateafterinstall 1) http://steamdb.info/app/235460/#section_config

I assume they’ll figure it out soon.

• Moraven says:

Wish more games did that. One thing I liked about Impulse downloads and of course GoG.com

• Mathaw says:

I assumed that this is crucial for offline support in general?

I’ve never needed to access my Steam library when my internet has been down (purely through chance), but I’m still dreading that fateful day that I’ve set-aside several hours to tackle a single player campaign only to be prevented by Steam.

It’s like an imaginary game of chess that hasn’t started yet.

• aiusepsi says:

Not really, if Steam isn’t running at all then the Steamworks API isn’t available, so the game has to be sure to check that it is available before trying to call it. If you’re running Steam in offline mode, then the Steamworks API is still available, but you just have to be sure that you’re prepared to handle the error conditions that might occur if Steam’s offline, e.g. if you try and get information from a leaderboard or get a list of multiplayer servers while Steam’s offline, it’ll fail. So they’re slightly different things.

13. rolandormcquiston says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site….. http://www.dub30.com

14. Hathouty says:

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site…>> http://WWW.BAY93.COM

15. Hencts says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $87 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her payment was $21413 just working on the computer for a few hours. read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

16. Scandalon says:

Anyone tried it on a simpler Dual-Core system? G860 here (basically a 3.4(?)Ghz i3). The min/recommended CPU specs scared me off, but I’m fine with everything else.