Awesome Games Done Quick Raises More Than $1,000,000

By Adam Smith on January 13th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

I play games very slowly, whether they’re awesome or not. I can perform a speed run of the first level of just about any first-person shooter released between 1993 and 1999 but beyond that fairly limited subset of locations (mostly military bases and pump stations), I’m cautious and methodical. On top of that, I’m also more likely to explore new worlds instead of returning to old haunts in order to improve my mental mapping, making navigation a reflex. Thankfully, the world has plenty of dedicated digital dervishes and many of them gathered for the Awesome Games Done Quick charity event, raising more than $1,000,000 for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. The videos are linked below.

Most of the videos are listed here but my personal favourite hasn’t made the cut. It’s Gunpoint, completed in what the game’s creator, Tom Francis, reckons is about half his best time.

In a world of high scores and enormous crowdfunding campaigns, it’s easy to take huge numbers for granted, but that is an extraordinary amount of money.

, , .

Top comments

1. Xerophyte says:

Reddit is normally a fairly useless place but I’ll make an exception for this list of timestamped run links: http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1ui4dn/agdq_vods_thread/

If anyone is curious but unsure what to watch, the Punch-Outs, F-Zero GX and the Super Metroid race were all spectacular this year. On the PC side, the Borderlands 2 run was nicely insane (4-player coop!) and had some neat developer commentary, the Doom 2 race was good and Duke Nukem 3D in 12 minutes was nutty. Valve’s Zoid Kirsch did commentary on Metroid Prime (on which he was lead gameplay dev) which was also quite interesting.

1. Premium User Badge Tinus says:

That list of videos is not complete yet, only spanning about half the games that were played. Everything is viewable on the Twitch page though, you just have to do some detective work to find the exact run you want to see. Full schedule here: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule. That should sort you out until they get the individual runs on Youtube.

Edit: forget what I said. Xerophyte’s got the goods.

• Xerophyte says:

• Alexander says:

Not anyone’s fault you’re hanging around circlejerk and politics all the time.

• Tacroy says:

How can you not mention TAS Block? It was insane to see tool-assisted runs done on actual hardware. Particularly the Super Mario World…. thing.

• Xerophyte says:

Mmm. TASBot is cool but I’m not sure it’s where I’d send someone new to the concept of videos of people playing video games really fast to start with, it’s often very hard to understand what the hell is going on. The Super Mario World thing was pretty fantastic but I think you need to have some sort of knowledge of what they did to understand just how insane it is and it’s not exactly a game done quick.

• Leosiegfried says:

Only watched the MGS Castlevainia Goldeneye but will be coming back and watchin archived footage from the small amount i saw i was very entertained

2. meepmeep says:

Also important to note that this event raised double that of any previous event, demonstrating that this formerly niche hobby is rapidly hitting the mainstream.

3. lowprices says:

It’s nice to see a gaming charity event that doesn’t automatically donate to Child’s Play. While there’s nothing necessarily wrong with getting games for sick kids to play, I feel it’d be more useful to pump money into organisations that deal with treatment first.

EDIT: Forgot to add, $1,000,000 is a pretty damn impressive amount to raise, so well done everyone involved.

• RvLeshrac says:

Trillions upon trillions have been dumped into treatment research, and that money has generated close to zero returns.

Personally, given that all of our treatment advances have come from government-funded research, I’d like to know where all this private money goes. With Child’s Play, I *know* what the money is spent on.

• Xerophyte says:

The PCF works with screening, information and outreach which are all reasonably effective at improving early detection rates.

As for Child’s Play, I dunno. It’s a fine initiative, a great way to leverage a gaming comic into a serious and helpful charity and it makes the world a better place. On the other hand, I have to admit that the lack of toys for sick kids, while unfortunate, is probably not one of the great social ills of our time. Ultimately I’d rather give my money to MSF and send a doctor to a sick kid than anything else, it seems the more pressing need given the current state of the world.

• Tacroy says:

You might already know this, but their sister marathon (Summer Games Done Quick) goes to MSF (aka Doctors Without Borders).

• empfeix says:

Leshrac you have the exact same thoughts as me. Still, there are many worse ways to waste your money than this particular charity. Maybe if we stopped putting GMO’s into our food and had better air, water and lifestyles around the world we could do just as much cancer reduction as putting millions into big pharma’s pockets.

• MattM says:

Visit their website. They tell you exactly what they do with the money.

4. marrakoosh says:

Blindfolded Punch Out was incredible. Thought the Mirror’s Edge race was pretty spectacular, just because by it’s very nature its about running fast.

Goldeneye was great, if just for the cardigan-toting co-player whose favourite phrase was shouting ‘SOLID! SOLID!’ after a level.

All in all, really, really cool and meant I spent my time watching many different games rather than the usual League of Legends streams.

5. Gargenville says:

(I can’t figure out how to say what I want to say without being a jerk about it, sorry)

• tormos says:

this is either a really good modnote or the world’s greatest internet comment.

6. valiuse says:

I’m like a week or so late on this, but I am very appreciative that you enjoyed my run of Gunpoint that much. It’s my first game I’ve been speedrunning and I’m humbled to see that its appreciated so much. Thanks.

Also, direct link if you’re wanting: