The Last Phoenix Looks Like A Game I Want To Play

By John Walker on January 13th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

As I established when writing about Secrets Of Raetikon, all games should be about playing a bird. Prescient adopters of this new law are Barbossal with The Last Phoenix. Greenlit back in October, this “aerial combat adventure game” sees you playing as the winged mythical beast. With this emphasis on aerial melee combat, and a desire to provide a Metroid-ish approach to skill gathering and exploration, it could be pretty ace. It’s certainly pretty.

We’re late to this one. The trailers date back to September 2012, and the game was Greenlit months back. But since we’d missed it, you may have too, and it’s well worth a look. The team aren’t exactly brilliant with updates, their Steam page untouched in four months. And this is still a way off – their surprise at how much people enjoyed the demo build has had them stretch their ambitions.

Here, take a look – it’s pretty swishy. Although be warned, the opening musical sting will give you a heart attack if you accidentally leave the tab open and then reload your browser.

And here’s another:

Oh, and you can play it.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
    • TechnicalBen says:

For some unknown reason I was expecting this video instead:

1. db1331 says:

2013 was the year of the bow. 2014 is shaping up to be the year of the bird.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Can’t help it. I keep thinking of Prey’s ridiculous resurrection mechanic.

3. LionsPhil says:

The point at which you are having to do Vectrex-esque outline highlights around all your geometry to allow gameplay to function is the point where your ugly, grungy art effects have gone too far.

• cafeoh says:

Harsh. But I reckon there’s probably more than a hint of truth in that.
      Too many times have gameplay been dictated by fancy graphic algorithms. The opposite (of which an example could be ltheory) is much more awesome.

• TechnicalBen says:

Wait. Your talking about digital gaming, and saying it should be done without maths?

Jackablade says:

Maths is the tool of the Devil and the enemy of all things good and wholesome.

• cafeoh says:

No I’m not, I’m not sure how you drew that conclusions. And no, still, no idea how this has anything to do with maths.

jrodman says:

I’m torn.

I really like the goofy outlines.
      I don’t much like the look of the vaguely sepia junk it outlines though.

• Gargenville says:

Looks like the phoenix boss from Child of Eden (the GOD DAMNED SEQUEL TO REZ nobody played because it happened to have optional Kinect support and thus came in the dreaded purple case)

(jeez this has nothing to do with this string of comments, stupid internet is hard)

4. pepperfez says:

I want to play it too, but that is just a hilariously abysmal name. Not only is “The Last X” a cliche, there only ever was one phoenix. It’s always been the last one!

• Geebs says:

I was going to point this out too. They could redeem it by also calling the sequel “the last Phoenix”

• The Sero says:

I don’t know how they missed the chance to include the phrase “Murder of Crows” somewhere in the title!

5. LionsPhil says:

In other news, I’m trying to decide if the spate of pacemaker ads down the side of RPS at the moment are some kind of cutting social commentary on the sedentary nature of gaming as a hobby.

(Yes, yes, I know they don’t pick them. Some targetting algorithm thought they fit, though.)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I don’t see them. Are you alright? ;)

• The Random One says:

Considering that story about the girl that started to get ads for baby clothes before she knew she was pregnant… Phil, when was the last time you had a physical? We worry.

6. mikmanner says:

How do you turn off detective mode? Heh, game looks interesting though will check it out.

7. amuleth says:

It looks like the remake of Amiga game Agony. But it had better wing animations.

Jackablade says:

This looks suspiciously like it might be a game demo from the Global Game Jam 2012 that’s been polished into a full game.

I suppose that’s not all that suspicious really.

9. crinkles esq. says:

I’m not really understanding the bird fight mechanics here. Seems rather simplistic. But having a phoenix in a game just makes me pine once again for the lack of a Gatchaman action game.

10. Gnoupi says:

The whole “bird flying and resurrecting the landscape” made me think about this Fantasia part: