Thecatamites’ Commercial Collection: 50 Short Games

By Adam Smith on January 13th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Stephen ‘thecatamites’ Murphy has given us Goblet Grottos, Space Funerals, Murder Dogs, Pleasuredomes and much more besides, and he’s never asked for anything in return. I’m tremendously pleased that, for the first time, it is now possible to exchange coin for the deliriously creative creations of one of fringe gaming’s strongest and strangest voices. For a minimum of four euros (higher prices are at the purchaser’s discretion), you’ll receive the titular FIFTY GAMES, each of which was made in a single day during 2013′s final months. Along with FIFTY GAMES, you’ll find yourself in possession of a loader for the FIFTY GAMES, essays on each of the FIFTY GAMES and illustrated notes about the project. A tremendous piece of history.

The collection doesn’t have a launch trailer, which is a terrible oversight on the part of thecatamites’ undoubtedly enormous marketing team, so I’m going to drop the opening theme to Space Funeral here instead.

I’m reminded of the IGF Pirate Kart, a collection of glitchy, imaginative constructions that are often directed toward deconstruction. The difference, of course, is that all of these games were made by one designer. Remarkable.

For Crime Zone alone, which pre-empts Kentucky Route Zero’s manipulation of perspective, thecatamites deserves to have treasures laid at his door.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. postrook says:

Thanks RPS. going to go buy this right now. I feel like I owe him some money for giving us the amazing Space Funeral, anyway, even if this doesn’t turn out to be as good as that.

2. Spacewalk says:

How fitting that all of these games originally appeared on the site that birthed the Pirate Kart.

3. megalosaurus says:

Is the catamites the greatest man who ever lived? Let us consider his competition:

1. Eumenes of Cardia, 2. Don John of Austria, 3. Clive of India, 4. Lawrence of Arabia, 5. the catamites.

So we see, clearly, the catamites is not the greatest man who ever lived as he is not ‘of’ somewhere. Once (if) he earns that appellation we might review this judgement but not before.

That said he is a wonderful human being. And as postrook says above, I feel I owe him something for the glorious Space Funeral. BLOOD! BLOOD! BLOOD!

4. Fenix says:

At the risk of making myself the target of universal scorn, I have to confess I do not “get” thecatamites. I swear I tried :( but it doesn’t work.

5. Nevard says:

There’s actually 51 short games, I have been lied to

6. Turkey says:

I feel like Thecatamites should be paying me for exposing me to the horrible nightmare that is Ruth White.

• xaphoo says:

Seriously. This middle-aged Californian woman has created the most evil music I’ve ever heard, certainly the most oppressive. And I listen to a lot of metal. When she comes up on shuffle I face the serious question of whether or not I have the mental fortitude to withstand her recitations for a couple minutes.

7. The Random One says:

CRIME ZONE is better than Space Funeral. Everyone, wiggle money for this man.

8. Felixader says:

Woaaah! WITH DIFFICULTY Levels! I never would have thougth of such a thing!

(is this a bot or a meme that i do not understand? Anyway i would be weary of klicking this link.)

9. Cheese Wold says:

Not sure how I feel about this guy using other peoples music without permissions in a commercial release.

• thecatamites says:

Heya,

All of the 50 games have music made by me or one of my friends. The older games where I used other people’s music aren’t included in the package and are still free. I don’t do that anymore + generally regret that I did but since the older games were generally constructed entirely around those songs I don’t see a way out short of basically deleting them all (which is still on the table) (give me two years).

• Cheese Wold says:

That’s really great to hear! I’ll be happy to buy this after reading your response,

What upset me was seeing “White Waking” described in this article as “the opening theme to Space Funeral”, with no mention of the original artists. It is very heartening to hear that you make your own music or get permission now.

• siegarettes says:

To be fair, Space Funeral got me into Les Rallizes Denudes. I listen to them now basically every single time I go running. That would have never happened otherwise.

• Geebs says:

I’m not sure that there’s ever an excuse for exposing actual human ears to music which sounds like Oasis ran out of cocaine and forgot to turn on the autotune.

I could make better music by shitting on an accordion, and I can’t even play the accordion

10. TheBarringGaffner says:

Got this right away, I’m a huge thecatamites fan. The notes on each of the games adds a lot of context, and playing them all together is a very different experience from playing them on their own. It paints a sorta coherent picture of the author’s life at the time, instead of being really confusing and surreal.

11. Trif says:

Is there a way to buy this without a credit card?

Comment on this story