A Rash Of Updates For Road Redemption

By Alec Meer on January 14th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

It’s been eight months since we checked in to see just how convincingly spiritual Road Rash sequel Road Redemption was smacking people in the face with a chain at 100MPH. Successfully Kickstarted last May, it’s recently stuck a helmeted head above the parapet to show off a current build. It looks somewhat as one might expect/hope – a 16-bit ethos transposed to 21st century tech with something of a Mad Max aesthetic.

‘Redemption’ does seem a somewhat inappropriate word to include in the name of a game that’s basically about causing people grievous bodily harm in order to win a motorbike race, but perhaps these riders were even more terrible people before they adopted that as a hobby.

BIFF. And also OW.

Dev blog updates have been somewhat spotty, but last November saw one chatting about plans for co-op and multiplayer, if you like.

Early days still, of course, but if you like the look of that you can still pre-order/fund the game directly even though the Kickstarter is long over.

It’s worth reminding y’all that this is neither an officially-sanctioned Road Rash game (the Curse Of The IP-Squatting Electronic Arts strikes again) or developed by anyone who worked on the original bike’n'battery games. It’s just some experienced devs (“from the likes of Sega, Sony, Bioware, Gameloft, Tequila Works, Disney Interactive, EA Sports, EA, LucasArts, and more” who really, really like motorbikes and common assault.

Regardless of how one may feel about its heritage, Road Redemption has also been Greenlit, so it’s headed our way fast for sure.

, , .

1. LionsPhil says:

I know it’s a sequel to some other game, but I can’t help but look at this and think of Full Throttle’s obligatory-kind-of-iffy-action-sequence-inserted-into-an-adventure-game.

Rikard Peterson says:

I’m not surprised to see this as the first comment. When I saw that top image, my first instinct was to post a Full Throttle quote.

2. supernorn says:

Is it bad that I lost all interest as soon as I saw him pull out a gun? Road Rash was all about being up close and personal. It makes me feel like they totally missed the point of what made the game this is based on any good.

• J Arcane says:

I had precisely the same thought, re: guns. Part of the fun of Road Rash was that all the combat was up close and personal, and there’s almost none of that in this trailer.

• Gargenville says:

It’s kind of horrifying because Road Rash has always been a goofy slapstick thing but if you add guns to the formula it becomes this creepy death sport.

jrodman says:

In my book, just swapping out the low res bitmaps and putting in 3d models goes a long way towards making this creepy death sport. I think the style/sensibility of the original game can’t work very well with realistic models.

• Keyrock says:

Same here. The last thing I wanted to see in this game was guns.

• Blue_Lemming says:

More agreement from me, even when you didn’t have a weapon you could kick people on the other bikes. Adding guns just makes it look like a poor mans GTA.

Also the scaling of the bikes against cars makes it look like 8 year olds on mini motos. Which is something.

• GameCat says:

Same here. Also camera should be much closer to your bike.
      And where the hell are choppers? Especially these three wheeled with seat for second player.

• The First Door says:

Oh, I’m glad I’m not the only one to think that! It just looks a little annoying, to be honest. Road Rash was really good at letting you concentrate on the riding while still fighting. Having to turn the camera to shoot and not see the trucks coming towards you seems silly.

• OscarWilde1854 says:

Even worse: It actually seems to be the focus…. in that entire trailer I only saw him try to actually hit one person with some kind of purple melee weapon and get hit by a truck at the same time… The rest was just guns.. the whole time.

• Convolvulus says:

It’s an early development video, not a trailer. Guns are featured heavily because they were just implemented in this build. We have no idea if gameplay will focus on them.

• hypercrisis says:

Hear, hear! At first I thought they were perhaps emulating the style seen in THQ’s Road Rash game which took the larger scale of an open island, but then the guns came out and the racing looks secondary.

Road Rash was a racing game not a murder game. The violence was a way to cheat to victory, you didn’t even need to if you were good enough.

• Toby says:

I’m glad that there are more people out there that thinks that guns in the game isn’t the way to go. Like others have already said, the whole up close and personal combat was the point. Adding guns takes away from that. Not to mention that while the fighting was violent in Road Rash, it was never about killing your opponents as much as it was to “temporarily” put them out of the race. Killing each other changes the tone of the game altogether.

• derbefrier says:

I am going to disagree. I think its a good idea. Road Rash was a fun beat ‘em up on motorcycles but in my opinion adding guns doesn’t break the spirit of the game at all. Adding to that formula isn’t going to take a way from that. You are all making assumptions the whole game will revolve around guns. I think you are being to narrow minded. Its been a very long time since a road rash game and no one has ever really attempted to copy it or update it with modern tech. this is that chance don’t let nostalgia hold this game back damn-it. With projectiles i can envision all kinds of fun. throwing a stick into the wheel to send your buddy flying etc..

3. d_chandler says:

Looks fun for about fifteen seconds.

4. Agent.Brass says:

I still remember the music from the original, and some guy who kept calling me “bras” which i never understood.

Also, why is the traffic driving in the same direction on both side of the road?

Cinek says:

Cause it’s a road between England and continental Europe.

jrodman says:

As an ignorant american (USian) I worried about this very thing in Euro Truck Simulator 2. That is, I wondered what would happen when I drive through the euro tunnel.

Then I found out that you don’t drive through the euro tunnel. :-(

I still don’t know how the trains solve the problem.

Cinek says:

You ever seen Matrix Reloaded scenes with the Twins?
          That’s how.

Cinek says:

Looks completely NOT like a Road Rash.
    I hoped for a 3D remake with some enhancements – meanwhile this seems like random motorcycle game with poor graphics, quirky racing and totally dull combat (which in original was the best, most fun part of a game).

6. PopeRatzo says:

That looks like it would be a fun game if I had a grappling hook I could shoot out of my arm and latch onto and jump on other vehicles and pull other riders off.

Just a thought. Please, God, if you send me Just Cause 3, I promise to be good for at least the time I spend playing the game.

7. Themadcow says:

Funny how often gaming remakes miss the point that people just want the same game with shiny new graphics and modernised UI’s / menu’s.

8. pyrosz says:

That video doesn’t make me want to buy this at all… the top image on this page makes me think they had the idea of what made the “other” games really good, and then they screw up the scale, add guns and make the bike look like they are stuck to the road with glue. Glad I didn’t put any money down. Still makes me want a good remake though.

9. bstard says:

Well Angry Joe, here’s one for the 2014 list.

10. Geebs says:

20th century graphics – yes. 21st century? No no no no no.

11. Nikita "Hot Stuff" Khrushchev says:

Ah, Road Rash. I have a fond adolescent memory of one of the Road Rash games in which there was a track that was perpendicular to a brick wall and the puny AI racers could not make the sharp 90 degree turn. Therefore, every racer would fly full speed into said wall sending cycles and cyclists scattering. I fear such a newfangled game would lack such stupidity.

12. satan says:

Guns and grenade launchers aren’t road rash…

If they’d just remade Road Rash 2 with say… 20 riders instead of 15, more weapons, lanes, vehicles, locations… gah why am I wasting my time.

13. Chizu says:

The minute that gun came out, I was so disappointed. I want melee variety, bats, chains, crowbars, improvised weapons. Maybe the option to THROW your melee weapons for a one-off range hit.
    But firearms are so boring.
    I’m a little relieved I didn’t kickstart this. I’ll wait to see how it goes, but gosh I can just see the gunplay ruining the experience. (if guns are included they should be like, rare and severely limited).

Otherwise this game is just going to be every motorcycle chase in a grandtheftauto game ever.