Sadface: Sadwick To Return In The Whispered World 2

By John Walker on January 15th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

Remember when we told you about The Whispered World 2, and you were all like, “Yeah, it was quite good, but Sadwick was so bloody annoying.” And we were like, “No, but look! This seems to be about a brother and sister who aren’t Sadwick.” And you were like, “Well, okay, we’ll see, but that seems good news.” Well, we’ve seen. For reasons we cannot fathom, Daedalic seem to think it’s a good idea to send out press releases boasting that Sadwick will be playable in the new game.

So the game is to have two playable characters, Sadwick and Renie, the little sister from the trailer. The older brother, Noah, is of course Sadwick, because, etc.

There are two possibilities.

1) They’re insane, and seeing all the people saying how much they hoped Sadwick wouldn’t be in it, they thought, “Shit! No! People are looking forward to it! What can we do?!”

2) There is a contingent out there who have been bombarding Daedalic with concerned missives about the lack of Sadwick’s presence in the game’s announcement last month, demanding to know if their arse-voiced hero would return.

I fear it’s the latter. There are, by my count, far too many idiots out there.

When I reviewed the original game for Eurogamer back in 2010, I put it like this:

“The actor providing our hero’s voice needs to have his vocal chords removed, sealed in a lead box and fired into space. You know that hateful baby voice Adam Sandler insists on doing in half his films? Times it by 20. It’s excruciating to the point where I taught myself to speed-read just to skip his voice as quickly as possible. It’s like having your favourite poem read out by Joe Pasquale.”

We’ve asked Daedalic if the same man, Robert Lyons, will be return for this sequel. They say they have no information on that yet. In the meantime, here’s a reminder of just how bad it was:

This announcement gets more strange when it’s accompanied by brand new screenshots, none of which feature Sadwick. It is the most peculiar of announcements (although at least this time they haven’t given days of exclusivity to a website with a broken video player). The game looks like it’s going to be utterly beautiful – whether it will be tolerable is yet to be revealed.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Thirith says:

God, that *is* dreadful. Whatever made them think that voice was a good idea?

2. Cerzi says:

Am I the only one who kinda liked the voice after getting used to it? I know it’s not like the game was released *that* long ago, but the voice combined with the soundtrack stirs some pretty vivid memories of the game. It had something.

• Turambar29 says:

I also liked Sadwick, and even liked his voice – it was *supposed* to be annoying, right? Once I accepted that, it was kind of charming. The puzzles were truly crazy, but I loved the art, the story, the atmosphere of the game… I don’t particularly care if Sadwick is in the sequel or not, but I’m definitely eager to see more Whispered World goodness!

• NecroKnight says:

I can understand that not everybody liked his voice, but it wasn’t that horrible. It sounded OK to me, even though it was irritating sometimes. Also, he sounded Scottish occasionally.
      If we ignore Sadwick, the voice acting as whole was rather good. I really loved listening to the games many characters.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I liked Sadwick’s voice and found it to be particularly fitting for the role.

3. Geebs says:

Vocal chords?

4. tomimt says:

It does kind look like Daedelic wants to sabotage their game… or then Sadwick has some sort of a crazy following I don’t know a thing about. Perpahs there’s a church of Sadwick somewhere, where the mass is spoken in the voice of Sadwick.

5. fuggles says:

Having played and enjoyed the first one… It’s not really a game that immediately screamed that it needed a sequel.

6. sventoby says:

The goggles, they do nothing!

7. rustybroomhandle says:

Fine by me. The little twit grew on me after a while. :)

8. Brinx says:

To be fair: While the voice acting wasn’t perfect at all in the German version, it still was significantly better than this. (Just listened to the English version the first time ever.)

• Noviere says:

I was just going to ask if maybe the German version wasn’t as awful as the English one.

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

The German voice acting wasn’t great but it was still way better than the English one. I think that might explain a lot. They just screwed up on the English voice acting, not the character itself.

• TehK says:

Really?
          I played the German version (because Deadalic’s German versions are usually a lot better than the English localisations), but when I watched the video, I thought that the German and the English voice was very similar.

• Halfgild Wynac says:

The Russian voice was much better than that as well. They hired the actor who dubbed Harry Potter in films. Not the ideal choice for such character, but way better than THIS O_o

9. Unclepauly says:

Well, at least I learned a lesson today. Don’t tempt fate by clicking any old video someone tells you to click. Now.. it peroxide ear safe?

10. RiffRaff says:

Didn’t he die at the end?

I have blocked most of the game from memory to try and preserve what remains of my sanity (sadwick was far from being the worst thing in that game), but I seem to recall taking great delight in erasing the little bastard from existence at one point. please don’t take that away from me guys. :(

• mr.black says:

MAJOR SPOILER FOR THE END!
      Yeah, so it seemed whole world was actually just a SPOILER WARNING, AGAIN!

imagination of a kid in coma, and Sadwick was his tiny, ill id. So if you wanted to wake the kid in real world, you had to destroy the whole magical world – the prophecies were right Sadwick was, in a way, bringer of doom.
      Be that all as it may, Sadwick here should be older than 19-12 year old kid in the first game, so there’s a fair chance another actor/voice will be chosen for him.

11. strangeloup says:

I couldn’t even get five minutes into TWW because Sadwick’s bloody voice was just so awful.

Didn’t really like the art style either, but that’s a lot more subjective. That being said, their Dark Eye games (Chains of Satinav and Memoria) are actually really neato, so evidently there’s some talent there.

12. randmpeep says:

I actually enjoyed TWW and Sadwick (voice and all). It was a game that loved to poke fun of itself, and Sadwick was a great vehicle in doing so.

13. TehK says:

Haha and I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by that guy.
    Seriously… I’ve been arguing with some friends about this, who really think that Sadwick was cute and a great character. For me, it was the reason that I didn’t play through the game (which is a rare exception when it comes to P&C Adventures).

That said, I usually really like Daedalic’s work (especially the two Edna games) and perhaps, if they get a different voice actor, I’ll give the new Whispered World a go.

Comment on this story