White Heat: White Night Is Beautifully Unnerving

By Adam Smith on January 15th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

White Night is a ‘narrative survival horror’ game that I first learned about earlier today. Two minutes later, I was as excited for its release as I am for just about any other game coming out this year. Not coincidentally, two minutes is the length of the most seductive trailers I’ve seen for a long time. We missed the video’s debut in October but now that the light of our lanterns has fallen upon it, I urge you to watch it without further ado. Think Alone in the Shadows and Fog of German Expressionism.

Everything, from the beginnings of the plot to the country of origin and animation style, reminds me of a segment from French animated film Fear(s) of the Dark. The film has five short horror stories, each from a different director and in a different animation style, and the fifth segment involves an elderly gent exploring an abandoned mansion. In the dark. The clip below isn’t the best representation but it’s the best I could find.

Here’s a little more detail about White Night.

In order to survive this long night, the player will have to solve puzzles based on the use of light. His safety will depend on the different light sources scattered all around the manor. Some will be fragile, while the most powerful will take efforts to be reached… But if darkness is active and lethal, a mysterious presence will also enlighten the night.

Spotted via Tom Senior’s Twitterings.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. GameCat says:

Looks like Telltale’s The Wolf Among Us have strong opponet in “games that look like friggin comic book that came to life by some sort of magic or what” category.

I want more games with these graphics.

2. PopeRatzo says:

I love the graphics, too. I would like to see them in a movie or a graphic novel. Maybe a cut scene.

is the era of good games over?

• Eddy9000 says:

Thank you!
      I w really enjoyed this when I caught it on TV a few years back but then forgot about it until the art style of this game reminded me of it, but then of course I’d forgotten the name. You saved me a long night of googling ‘black and white french animation”.

Prophet be with you.

• Jackablade says:

I’ve never heard of that before. Is it any good?

3. Zenicetus says:

This is a much more effective use of black and white than that recent colonial mystery/horror thing that came out last year. That other game looked like a filter effect over a normal environment, which just ended up being confusing to navigate.

This looks much better, like it was actually designed for the severe B&W look. And maybe a little Edward Gorey influence in the graphics too, which doesn’t hurt.

• Detocroix says:

This is very much true. The said game actually used normal (albeit somewhat desaturated) textures and just greyscaled and upped contrast/brightness on top of that.. this on the other hand is actually designed with the visual style in mind.

Well they might do that here too, but it looks much less noisy.

4. DudeBro says:

There was a horror game that came out in the late 90′s/early 2000′s that was very similar to this, but didn’t look as stylized. Desaturated, Alone in the Dark type survival horror, with crazy moody use of lighting (mostly from your flashlight). Anyone remember the name? I vaguely remember the main character being a hat and a trenchcoat, detective type.

EDIT: Found it – it was Nocturne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbfx2vTKkYk

5. home security says:

Any idea how much it will cost?

Comment on this story