Indie Royale’s Latest Features Hexcells & Gun Monkeys

By John Walker on January 16th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

The Indie Royale bundles are certainly amongst the more hit and miss out there. But their latest is a definite hit, simply by containing Hexcells. Have I mentioned Hexcells before? One might argue it’s also worth purchasing for some of the other games in there, like PixelJunk Shooter, Gun Monkeys, Megabyte Punch, Ride ‘Em Low and Stronghold HD.

But it’s mostly about Hexcells.

Indie Royale’s USP is that you can pay what you want in an upward direction, but there’s a minimum price. At the time of writing it’s £3.32. Pay more than that, and you’ll drive the price down for others. Pay the minimum and it’ll slowly crawl upward. Chuck in a fiver and you’ll get an album by MY OK BBS. They’ve currently shifted 5,000 bundles overnight, but it’s interesting to note that only one person has paid the “recommended” price of £16 so far, and no one any higher. Clearly the altruism of Humble Bundles isn’t stretching so far today.

Pretty ace bundle. Meanwhile, Humble Bundle X has is about to burst through the $1.5m mark, given a second boost with the addition of HOARD, Strike Suit Zero, and Toki Tori 2+.

, , , , , , .

1. TechnicalBen says:

Must not buy. Must not… must……. … …

lorddon says:

That sounds like your best friend’s mom could certainly pay the recommended price then.

2. Noburu says:

I came for the Hexcells i stayed for Ride Em Low…

3. mukuste says:

If you get it mostly for HexCells, it seems you’d be better of just buying that since it’s cheaper on its own.

4. FuriKuri says:

Hexcells is probably the only game I’ve agreed with concerning the opinions of Mr. Walker in such matters. It is truly excellent. I did, however, find it a little short (but on balance, worth the price I paid).

Although it IS a little annoying when you’ve been thinking about a cell for awhile and forget which mouse button does what and (inevitably) click the wrong one and have to start over (because I’ll be damned if I settle for even one mistake). I feel some more work with the UI wouldn’t have gone amiss.

• eruvalar says:

I agree. A great game overall, and a nice reminder to play more puzzle games for me.

But confusing the mouse buttons when mentally already at another hex was a problem. Especially when trying to quickly redo the progress after the mistake. I was getting angry there for a second and had to remind myself that I am playing this for fun. Slowing down again helped a lot.

Not that actual mistakes did not happen.

• mechabuddha says:

I was having the same problem until I realized that the default mouse controls are the opposite of Minesweeper, which I’m much more used to. I switched the mouse buttons and my error rate went way down.

• Rally.Plane says:

Hexcells disappointed me.
      Walker talked it up so much – I expected something as good as spacechem or better, but it’s awfully short and awfully simple.

It’s about as challenging as half-finished sudoku, and 30 puzzles it offered lasted me barely an hour.

5. bit_crusherrr says:

I got this, tried gun monkeys, there was me and 2 others playing. Megabyte punch has no online so I’ll have to wait ti try that. Ride Em Low is a shitty phone game.

However the £3.40 or w/e is totally worth it for PixelJunk Shooter.

• Frank says:

Yeah, I’m holding out for a Pixeljunk bundle some day.

(And I’ve already got Hexcells and it’s expandalone, which I accidentally bought and played first.)

• Jalan says:

Coincidence would have it that thus far, every Steam-released Pixeljunk game has been in an Indie Royale. Just not all at the same time.

• Ben says:

Sadly, Gun Monkeys doesn’t have busy servers 24/7. Join the official Steam group and watch out for organised get-togethers where you get a lot of players showing up for an hour or two. Next one is hopefully this weekend. Also, gift your second copy (I assume you get the standard two-pack with the Royale) to a friend you know will be around for matches a lot.

6. boyspud says:

Oh damn it, I just bought Stronghold HD last night for 3.99. Oh well, at least this way I can get someone to maybe try multiplayer with me. Haven’t tried any of the games yet, but theres something about Megabyte Punch that just looks brilliant. Reminds me of PS 1.

7. Ovno says:

Probably falling foul of the “I spent all my money during the steam sale & xmas effect”

8. hypercrisis says:

Bundlestars has an interesting new bundle, has highlights like Tropico 4, Earth 2150 and Stealth Bastard, coupled with absolute abominations like Garry’s Incident

RobF says:

Yeah, it’s a crazy bundle that runs the entire gamut from inspired to utter guffcakes. Well worth it for Stealth Bastard and Tropico 4 anyway.

G-Lord says:

Ok, ok, I bought it for Hexcells. Happy now?

Yachmenev says:

I would say that Pixeljunk Shooter is the best pickup in that bundle. Extremely nice and stylized Gravity game, with great physics and fantastic soundtrack.

I don’t understand how you not could be excited for this on PC (if you haven’t already played it on PS3).