Loadout Bringing 44 Billion Guns Out Of Early Access

By Nathan Grayson on January 17th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwrrrrrrrrrrrmouth

Loadout is one of those mangun shootythorpes we see far too many of these days, but of those sorts of games it looks like a rather nice standout. The style is eye-catchingly cartoony, the humor is zany, and an emphasis on weapon customization means there’s apparently a possible 44 billion gun combinations. It’s not quite Borderlands… or maybe it is since 87 bazillion is a made-up number. I don’t know. Bottom line: that’s a lot of guns, and Loadout has personality to back them up. It’s about to go from Early Access to final release, too, so soon you won’t have to pay a single sent to try it out.

Loadout will officially launch – whatever that even means anymore – on January 31st. Right now it’s on Early Access starting at $9.99, but soon it will be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (until microtransactions inevitably pop up, though I’ve heard this one is actually really lenient about them).

So let’s see: goofy third-person shooter, has lots of guns, no more Early Access. Yep, I think that just about covers it. I’ve actually been in the neighborhood for a new Dumb Gun Game to pour all of my Man Emotions into (in the form of bullets, of course). Do those of you who’ve tried the Early Access version of Loadout recommend it?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Ham Solo says:

It’s kinda fun to listen to the Devs play, they seem to be nice, funny guys.

2. Disrespecting says:

It’s an alright game, but i can’t see myself playing it for any decent amount of time.
    The gun options/crafting are fun, but theres just better games out there.

3. yobokkie says:

” soon you won’t have to pay a single sent to try it out.” That’s good, I try to never pay a single person who’s been sent to ‘try it out’. If it was a girl I might consider it but only if my wife let me.

• Smashbox says:

I was racking my brain … what pun could I be missing?!

• yobokkie says:

Yeah I know that feel, I hurt my brain on that one and yet I’m sure there must have been an epic pun waiting to be unearthed. Ahh well…

4. Flappybat says:

Can we stop listing combinations as a meaningful number? It always gets massaged like the Borderlands 2 trillions of guns and never represents significant differences.

• Gargenville says:

Borderlands 2′s weapon randomization is AMAZING, it’s just they made the bizarre design decision to keep giving you new guns every three steps to make sure you’ll never care about or learn to utilize the characteristics of any one of them.

5. BooleanBob says:

From the headline I thought the name of the game was 44 Billion Guns. A bit disappointed now.

6. The Random One says:

See, this is the exact same thing Gotham City Impostors did, except it’s a lot more acceptable because they were upfront about how thir game would go F2P and you were paying for a free game for the benefit of being FURST. Is it silly? Is it sillier to pay ten bucks for a game that will be free in six months or to pay sixty bucks for a game that will be fourty bucks in six months?

• cafeoh says:

I like that last idea.
      Makes me feel better about buying Snow.

7. RedViv says:

I don’t get it. A massive lady? How can they? That’s not cool at all! Lady characters need to look traditionally spicy and sexy to be cool! So weird!

• jezcentral says:

Does the avatar being overweight affect the hit-box? Surely you would be making yourself a bigger target?

• Kollega says:

Not much bigger than the guys whose shoulders are twice as large as their waists.

• dE says:

It’s okay. It’s Hilda. No gender stereotypes were deconstructed in the making of this trope.

• cafeoh says:

Do you realize that you are the one sexualizing these games characters by making these remarks? The devs don’t care about that most of the time, but they are forced to go one way or another because you people are so edgy about that.

No amount of irony is going to hide that, it’s a bad way of thinking in the first place.

8. killmachine says:

i’m really excited to see this game finally coming out of closed beta. you could buy your way into early access but as it seems, there wasn’t really a huge deal of marketing behind the game and people just weren’t aware of it. that’s what i get when i try to enter a match in the european region.

however, this game is really fun. you won’t believe the weapon crafting until you see it for yourself. you can craft anything you can come up with. the graphics style is executed very nice. the animations fit perfectly. i just love the extreme gore, although you get used to this very quick and don’t laugh that often when your head gets blown off, or part of your leg or your torso or whatever. :)

about free2play. the free2play model is executed very good as well. you need ingame xp to craft your weapons and unlock parts. you need cash for outfits, xp boosters and taunts. you can also unlock loadoutslots with cash but you can do this with gameplay as well but it takes a little longer as you gain loadout slots with every few levels.

i can just recommend everyone to check it out when it goes live. it’s free, it’s a lot of fun. it’s one of the few more fast paced shooters on pc and that alone should be a reason to check it out.

9. Kollega says:

I don’t usually give any chance to free-2-play games (because they inevitably end up as pay-2-enjoy), but I heard good things about Loadout. No bullshit like gamble-crates or overpowered buy-only weapons, and you allegedly can even get the real-money currency from a random drawing of prizes after a match. Plus the gun customization system is just too cool to resist giving it a try. So it’s good that the game is being released for free – I wasn’t really keen on buying something I’d be able to try for free later, even if it netted me real-money benefits. I even know what gun I’ll try to make first: a fully-automatic sniper rifle with an MG-sized magazine.

Bottom line: unlike most F2P games, this one actually looks too interesting to pass by. I’ll be trying out the game, and probably even throw ten or fifteen bucks to the developers if they don’t nag me too hard to give them ALL MY MONEY EVER.

P.S. Just got an idea. When the game comes out, RPS could ask in some article what guns the commenters made in it.

• killmachine says:

i think they got rid of the money crates at the end of the match. instead you get to choose from 3 crates than grant you 150-300 or so ingame experience. they actually completely changed the way you can purchase guns throughout the beta process. first, in the early stages you could build anything you want for free. there was no progression or unlocking for the weapons whatsoever. then they made it so that you design your gun and either unlock parts with ingame XP or real money. yes, you could actually build a gun with real money. luckily this got changed. now guns can only be build with ingame XP. as i said earlier, real money only gets you outfits, boosts and stuff but not a single weapon or weapon part.

• Kollega says:

They got rid of varying rewards at the end so now it’s just XP? That’s a shame… totally ruins my plans to get cosmetic stuff without paying :P

About the guns, though… I saw in earlier videos that you can buy gun parts with Spacebucks, but figured that it’s for the impatient, not for those who want powerful parts (because the really OP parts weren’t deliberately expensive). And the newer “tech-tree” that I saw in some developer videos kinda puts me off because it meant I couldn’t just throw random parts together and see what sticks – it means that I’ll actually have to plan and follow pre-established ideas (high-ammo spooling minigun, bolt-action sniper rifle, etc.).

• killmachine says:

i think they got rid of the idea of parts being purchased with real cash, because it kind of suggests a pay2win situation. i don’t know the reasoning behind it but i’m happy with the decision.

about the tech tree… it’s not as extreme as it may seem. you get a lot of parts from the very start. i think this progression gives a little more meaning to the guns that you craft. like, you really “worked” towards a specific weapon part within the tech tree, instead of just having everything from the start (or for real cash in the past).

i mean, apparently nowadays there HAS to be some kind of progression in a game or people don’t feel the need to play at all. i disagree to this sentiment. i could live without progression but i’m also ok with progression if it’s executed well. i feel this is the case for loadout because you have a lot from the start. if you want to specialize more, you would naturally have the will to continue playing. and when you continue to play, you unlock that stuff and get a sense of achievement. so, theoretically it all makes sense. :)

10. PopeRatzo says:

one of those mangun shootythorpes we see far too many of these days

I don’t know which of “these days” you’re talking about, but only a very tiny number of mangun shootythorpes are being released. I think it might almost be time to put out the Mission Accomplished banner and accept victory.

Except now games suck. I get to play a middle-aged man sitting on the bed with a shoebox full of old photographs in low-res and that’s supposed to be a game. Games that would have been considered laughably low-tech and intolerably boring ten years ago are now cutting edge.

Thanks a hell of a lot.

• DestroyYourEgo says:

IF I had to guess- and I could totally be wrong here- the Mangun Shootythropes he is referring to is the Call of Duty/Battlefield (and, to **some** extent- DayZ) games that get released seemingly every two weeks.

Also- I’d pay 70 dollars for that “cutting edge” game you were referring to over 20 dollars for Call of Duty. Any day. Any month. All year.

11. killmachine says:

edit: this was supposed to be a reply for Kollega…

12. Megakoresh says:

I have been playing the game for more than a year now. I can completely recommend it. Despite the combinations and it’s casual style, the game requires a lot of skill to play and that skill is mostly in teamwork, as this game is almost as reliant on teamwork as lane-pushers like DOTA 2. In fact as much as DOTA 2: you can be an absolute ace, but unless you are playing TDM (Death Snatch), you won’t be able to do jackshit, if you aren’t helping your team and playing the objective or your team isn’t helping you.

Unlike games like COD or Battlefield, though, this one also has a ton of movement and small team sizes, meaning it feels more like Unreal tournament than MMS. Among the 44 billion combos there are obviously OP ones and it’s annoying when someone skilled uses these OP items, cuz if you add some skill to them, you can basically become a god and dominate the game (even if your team won’t win, you will still be unkillable). For instance the shield is one such item. Single shot rocket launchers are also. But here’s where matchmaker comes in.

Loadout has a very good matchmaker. They spent many many months developing it, but it was worth it. The matchmaker not only uses very good accurate algorithms to determine your skill levels, but it actually seems to be able to evaluate your play style and if you are, for instance, very much a team player, it won’t put you in a team with trolls. Alternatively if you are getting voted out of the game a lot, never go for objective and insult everyone in the chat, it will put you with other players like that.

The gunplay in Loadout is also quite nice. It’s not very meaty, simply because it’s too fast-paced for that, but the weapons have recoil, and since people are able to run around literally with a hole in their body (with guts and other organs visible inside) and a little brain and eyes, but no skull around them, it creates a nice feeling of impact from your aiming labour.

Loadouts humour is crude, outrageous and hilarious and servers as a very good way to ease tension, because the game is very tricky and fast-paced and team focus can get people frustrated quickly. Even if your teammate did something stupid and you lost a control point, you can’t really be angry for long, when there are some naked dudes doing gangam style dances on the next point.

There are 2 things the game is missing though:
    Maps/Game modes (many maps are tied to specific game modes)
    PvE mode (devs said it will be considered post-release)

Devs were focused heavily on making the game enjoyable, so it lacks content a little bit. There’s no community map editor (the maps are made in Maya in the studio, but I don’t think they will be releasing the plugin). And you can’t have your own modded servers, at least not yet. Customization of matches is generally lacking in this game, as you can not choose specifically what maps to include in rotation (even if you have a custom party), and the, for now, official only servers don’t offer any customization either and run on default presets. The devs did say that they plan to expand that when population grows though.

The PvE mode is where the Loadout would truly shine, because there you don’t have to worry about the competitive status of your gun, which lets you take full advantage of the weaponcrafting system, letting you truly build something YOU want, as oppose to building something that would be viable against other people who have optimized and powerful combos (obviously it cant all be perfectly balanced, and compensating with skill will only get you so far in this team-focused game). The engine has full AI support, and the developers are very responsive to feedback (and quite smart about it), so be sure to tell them that you want a PvE mode on the forums, if you do!

I am not really playing the game atm for one single reason: lack of population. I would get right back in if the lobbies stopped emptying after every match.

13. Jupiah says:

Um no this is actually nothing like Borderlands. Borderlands is a persistent world co-op game with a campaign, this is a team based deathmatch shooter. The only similarity at all is lots of guns, but Borderlands doesn’t let you craft them.

14. caioferreiraoliveira says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hr on the computer. She has been out of work for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $18010 just working on the computer for a few hours. read this….

15. Mathute87 says:

Such a fun game. It really is, but you really need to play it to understand the possibilities. Non-stop fun since day one.

16. Dr.Darq says:

Can’t wait for all the new players to arrive, it will be so much fun!

17. Fattsanta says:

Im excited to try this one, always down for some fast paced community shooting action.

18. artbomber says:

Cent, not sent. Sorry, I had to.