Rebuild It In A Day: Total War: Rome II Mod Tools Arrive

By Alec Meer on January 17th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

I am a conscientious objector in the Total War war. I fight for neither side, and I shall declare no opinions about the controversies surrounding the release state of Total War: Rome II. All I shall do is report the facts, ma’am. Today’s fact is that devs the Creative Assembly have just released a beta version of the game’s Assembly Kit mod tools, which have been long expected/demanded by the TW community. That is a fact.

“The Assembly Kit contains a series of tools to help modders edit ROME II’s database and variants, and process data such as textures, models, animations and campaign-game start positions. A suite of exporters also enables users to then edit unit models and animations using third party software,” it says here, factily.

Another fact: completed mods can be whacked straight onto the Steam workshop from the Rome II launcher, so expect that to fill up with tweaks minor and major rather quickly. This’ll be the Skyrim of RTSes in that regard, I reckon. Wait, that’s not a fact, it’s a projection. I do apologise.

Oh, here’s a fact to get us back on track: the Assembly Kit download contains a bunch of example data for the likes of animations, soldiers and ships, as well as “the complete ROME II database backend.” There’s also a wiki containing some basic instructions right here. The Assembly Kit itself can be downloaded for freesies from Steam’s tools section, presuming you own Rome II already.

Those are today’s facts. Here’s another one for you: dogs can’t look up.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SanguineAngel says:

I need some verification on this Dog fact.

DarkLiberator says:

I’m glad we can make things like this. I totally want this as a unit. http://i.imgur.com/UbpRtPg.png

3. Turkey says:

Toga! Toga! Toga!

Smashbox says:

It’s always surprised me that there are so few recreations of historical battles in the Total War games. I haven’t really even been able to find many user created historical battles.

I don’t always want to plunge into a dozen-hour campaign, but am up for a quick skirmish.

Here’s hoping we see some of Rome’s greatest hits from modders.

(Also, is Rome worth buying yet?)

• Great Cthulhu says:

I got it at 50% off in the December sale and I feel I got my money’s worth. I’m actually enjoying most of the changes they made and while there are still some very bad bugs the game is fun enough for me to look past them. Your mileage may vary.

5. Loyal_Viggo says:

No mod tools can mod, change, or erase the horror and complete failure that is Rome 2.

I’ll think long and hard about purchasing another CA game.

• Lolsmurf says:

*SEGA
      But again, what did you expect from a game that started selling DLC even before it was released. And it was one of the first AAA games that had ‘early access’.

It’s like you add shit and piss to make this game and are now surprised the game sucks balls lol.

A wise tip for them readers here: NEVER EVER EVER BUY EARLY ACCESS OR PRE ORDER. DONT BE A DUMB FUCK.

The community will thank you.

• bstard says:

++, although rare cases are the exception.

• fish99 says:

It wasn’t unreasonable to expect roughly the same quality as Shogun 2 was it?

(btw I didn’t pre-order and don’t own Rome 2)

• Loyal_Viggo says:

@Lolsmurf – easy there, you assume too much:

1. I’m not surprised the game ‘sucks balls’ as you put it, after all the last decent TW game was Medieval 2. I just had hope that in 2013 the latest incarnation would’nt ‘suck balls’. I’d class it more as disappointment at the abject failure and waste of so much potential that was/is the final product, even now, after many patches.

2. I did not jump on the ‘pre-order’ bandwagon as the first warning something was terribly woefully wrong was the Greek factions pre-dlc that screamed “Repugnant Sponging of Cash Begins Now”.

Your pre-order warning is sound though, if only more people would listen.

*Also Creative Assembly developed the game, SEGA just currently publishes it.

• Lolsmurf says:

Yeah I wasn’t really targetting you with that pre order rant.
          Just have to warn people jumping on that wagon way too easy.

And CA is owned by SEGA, just so you know.

6. Junkenstein says:

Does this mean we could eventually see mods akin to what’s available for Medieval 2?

• frightlever says:

Guess it’ll depend on how much it allows modders to muddy their hands. I hope we get Westeros/Third Age style mods, without the questionable design decisions CA made with Rome 2.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

I’d wager no, as if so then the best total conversions of all time, such as LOTR The Third Age and Call of Warhammer would be reproduced and nobody will ever need an official LOTR or Warhammer game again.

Also CA are apparently taking their hatchet to a Warhammer strategy game and so they’d not want competition from modders who will undoubtedly make a better game than they can.

There is no fixing the many fundamental design flaws and the dilution of gameplay in Rome 2.

My advice: stick with Medieval 2 Kingdoms and the two total conversions mentioned above. Still playing them and loving them over any recent TW offering.

• Harper says:

Don’t forget that there is a fantastic Hyrule Total War as well. :p

7. BarbaraRGonzalez says:

my roomate’s half-sister makes $78 hourly on the internet . She has been out of a job for ten months but last month her paycheck was $12406 just working on the internet for a few hours.

see this,,,,,,,,,,,, http://x.co/3fSON