Saints Row IV, COH 2 Get Free Weekend On Steam

By Nathan Grayson on January 17th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Have a great weekend!

The weekend’s just over the horizon and I couldn’t be happier. Well… except for one thing. I’m terribly afraid, actually, that my Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are going to be too tonally consistent. No wild mood swings. No spine-separating ups and downs. What a drag, right? So thank goodness that both Company of Heroes 2 and Saints Row IV will be free all weekend on Steam. The silliest game of 2013 and the most brutal front of the most serious war, er, possibly ever. I can’t wait to cross all of my emotional wires – to giggle out world-weary tears and give stirring, morale-boosting war speeches laden with dick jokes.

Both games are completely free to play starting now, and they’ll continue scampering about without even a single price tag to cover their naughty bits and bytes until Sunday at 1 PM PST.

If you decide you want to purchase one or the other, they’ll also be discounted until Monday. Relic’s opus of cold and wars (but not cold wars) is 66 percent off, and Volition’s super silly open-worlder has dropped by 50 percent.

Both are great, and Saints Row IV even won the admiration of the whole RPS hivemind (minus Alec, for some reason) on last year’s Advent Calendar. Have you been holding out on trying either for some silly reason? Well stop that. You stop that right now.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fergus says:

Ah, I knew the Gods would bless me with a required day of for a good reason other than buying more socks!

2. skyturnedred says:

If only Steam would allow me to install COH2 I’d have a perfectly fine reason to stay inside all weekend.

Thurgret says:

It’s unfortunately a bit rubbish — certainly considering all the potential it had. Or maybe that’s just me. Still, you may be better off reinstalling the original Company of Heroes and pretending number 2 never happened.

• mukuste says:

But isn’t the multiplayer for CoH all but dead by now?

AndrewC says:

Helloooo! What is the difference between CoH and CoH (New Steam Version)? I’ve read their descriptions and am *still* unsure if there is something I should know. I would be mostly playing the single player.

Thurgret says:

I think the new Steam version uses Steam’s multiplayer system rather than THQ’s old set-up? I never did install the new Steam version, but I suspect that it doesn’t really matter. If you’re just looking at buying them, I’m pretty sure you get both added to your library, whichever you purchase.

• SmokinJoeWhite says:

You’re right, the Steam version uses steam for multiplayer instead of the old system, the old version will no longer work at all with multiplayer but single player works fine. Just download the steam version as it’s got working multiplayer incase you ever feel like using it.

3. Teovald says:

All things considered, I think SR3 was for the most part a better game than SR4.
    More accurately, the activities were way less central in SR3 and there are some that feel like a chore in SR4 (Professor Genki’s Super Ethical Reality Climax in SR3 is awesome while the new version with telekinesis in SR4 is surprisingly tedious).
    Still, it is a good time to get acustomed with the SR universe, and this week end there will probably be more people for two player mode.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah…I got SR4 when it went on a slightly deeper (IIRC) sale during Christmas, and it’s a little bit disappointing. Partly it suffers the symptom people who never played SR3 accused SR3 of: it does give you too much power too early, and a lot of game mechanics just feel like legacy baggage now—including driving in what was once a GTA clone. But mostly it’s that so many of the missions (it seems almost all the ‘side’ ones) are just “OK do this list of activities that one speech clip tells you to do” padding. That’s a real let-down from the character-banter-heavy missions in SR3.

• Low Life says:

Yeah, side missions that don’t specifically mention that they’re loyalty missions are just a collection of activities and there’s really no reason to do them (unless you enjoy the activities, of course). They get completed if you do those activities on your own time, too.

Rizlar says:

Disagree entirely. The driving and shooting mechanics ended up getting quite repetitive when I played SR3 – particularly the driving mechanics, they weren’t deep enough to support driving from one point to another for the entire game. In SR4 you don’t need to drive at all, you can cross the entire map in about a minute of super-bouncing around. But you can still razz about in a car when you want to. You have a range of options for destroying stuff, including throwing cars at it as well as shooting guns, if you feel like it.

I even like the way side missions in SR4 send you to finish activities, in SR3 I skipped huge swathes of activities since there was so much else to do. It does feel a bit like reusing stuff they were going to include anyway, but it also makes a lot of sense to integrate this huge amount of content into the rest of the game more. It kind of goes with the whole theme of the game becoming the game in SR4 as well.

• Low Life says:

I played both SR3 and SR4 through for the first time a few weeks ago, and I’ll have to disagree. The games are quite bad shooters for the amount of shooting they have, so without the superpowers I probably wouldn’t have bothered with SR4.

Because these games tend to gimp the player in some way every now and then (for whatever reason), SR3 made me do absolutely hideous missions like walking around slowly while carrying Nyteblade. The worst SR4 did was taking away the superpowers, so it was still at least as playable as SR3.

One thing I didn’t like about SR4 was the way radio was handled. Because I couldn’t be bothered with constantly switching it on and off I just ended up never listening to it.

Though I must admit, I couldn’t care less about the activities (I found every single one of them tedious in both games, apart from the tower climbing in SR4) so your main criticism is something I can just ignore.

Gap Gen says:

Yes, I liked SR4 and having the powers even if yes, the driving was mostly pointless, like a creature evolving into something completely different but still having vestigial tails or gills or whatever. There were also parts of SR3 that were offensive beyond parody, like the mission where you are literally trafficking sex workers. I know some people don’t care, but it soured it for me, even if other parts of the game were great.

• LionsPhil says:

Because I couldn’t be bothered with constantly switching [the radio] on and off I just ended up never listening to it.

Yeah, same here.

• mouton says:

I was mainly shooting rockets in SR3. That was fun.

• tsff22 says:

Oddly enough, I’m the exact opposite. Saints Row the Third, while indeed fun, started to become tedious and a bit dragging on after Act 1. By contrast, I am having a TON of fun in 4. The activities are better, the super powers are a freaking godsend, and there’s virtually no limit to what you can do. Its honestly like a (much, MUCH) smaller Just Cause 2.

Some people may decry how Saints Row has departed from its GTA-clone gang banging routes. I, however, welcome the insanity and pure fun of 3 and ESPECIALLY 4 with open arms.

Lexx87 says:

I think SR4 is such a joy simply to run around, going back to SR3 would be a chore! I adored every second of SR4, and as usual this kind of game in co-op is just incredible fun.

AngelTear says:

I wish I could enjoy SR in coop, but I can’t. Rather, I can’t find people to enjoy it with.
      I only have SR3, not the 4th one, and I tried for a while to jump in coop after finishing it in single player, and all people do is, go somewhere, kill someone, get the police to go after you, kill everything, destroy everything, repeat. Forever. I was wishing I could have done some missions/activities or something, but I must have played with a dozen people and they all stood there, near invincible with the endgame upgrades, randomly destroying stuff with a rocket launcher. I find that incredibly boring and repetitive, not to mention that there’s no challenge. It’s a shame.

• WhatKateDoes says:

Agree entirely. SR 3 and 4 were all about the co-op play for me – even tho it messed up the cutscenes a bit. I had the game ages before my main co-op cronie became available to play it, and we’re finally working our way through it just now. It is at times tedious – I’m all about the plot arc and really cannot be arsed with all the repetitive variations on the side-tasks – whereas my friend loves to scoop up every single wee mission for every wee bonus pickup! Fortunately the game allows you to do both (separately) “offline” but team up again for the main missions.

I still think SR-IV is a bit chore like tho at times, which can be pretty offputting (I think its down the colour scheme and the all-too-quickly-taken-for-granted superpowers) but then you get flashes brilliance and comedy. We just did the 16-bit final-fight bit last night. FANTASTIC! \o/

• The Random One says:

Yeah, playing with randoms on the internet usually gives you that. Which is why you should play with the random one ;-)

I also never got to play coop meaningfully, and the worst part is that I had them on the 360 so I was paying for it. Thankfully I now have them on Steam too, courtesy of the THQ Bankruptcy Bundle.

5. frightlever says:

I’m going to resist playing SR4 for free because if I like it I’m going to end up buying it and the thirty odd quid of DLC that goes with it. I really wanna wait for the GOTY edition.

• mechabuddha says:

Luckily, only two of those DLC are actual story missions – everything else is cosmetic.

• LionsPhil says:

They also don’t actually enable until a few missions into the main plot, so you may as well try it out, if only to check how it runs on your machine and such.

Bluerps says:

Yeah. I usually want to have all the DLC for a game I like, but most of the SRIV DLC (everything that is not Enter the Dominatrix and How the Saints Save Christmas) adds almost nothing to the game, and I did not miss any of it. I got some of the DLCs for free (as a preorder bonus, I think), and for all of them I either tried the items out for a minute and then went back to the regular stuff, or I didn’t use them at all.

Of course having that stuff does not make the game worse, but waiting for a GOTY just to get it all is not worth the wait, I think.

• frightlever says:

You think they’re done with DLC? I don’t.

• HadToLogin says:

I was going to do that too. But then AMD made “get Thi4f along with Saints Row 4 and one more game” deal (all you had to do is buy card giving you gold access to their Never Settle promo – they went for around $15 on ebay) and I got SR4, bought Season Pass for $3, maybe $4 on gamefly promo and didn’t bothered with anything else.

6. Nikita "Hot Stuff" Khrushchev says:

I never knew how enjoyable it would be to be the president of the United States with a British accent with the pitch slider slid all the way down. I like to pretend that he has a serious steroid abuse problem (even though I’m sure that’s not a symptom of steriod abuse, but it make sense to me. I don’t do much research).

7. Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

I’d love to, really. But Australia.