Still Hungry? – Don’t Starve Expanding With Reign Of Giants

By Nathan Grayson on January 18th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

A giant, perhaps? Or maybe the smallest enemy in Don't Starve history, but under an extremely powerful microscope.

To those who haven’t invested tens of hours in Don’t Starve and uncovered every last one of its randomized secrets, it may seem like an endless onslaught of hungry, hungry horrors. Some people, however, have ventured deep into its howling forests and emerged with their stomach linings largely intact. They want more. They need more. One might say they are starving for more Don’t Starve. I wouldn’t, because I’m better than such an easy joke. You, though? Well, I won’t judge. At any rate, those people will get their wish soonishly when Klei unleashes Don’t Starve’s first major DLC expansion: Reign of Giants.

It somehow involves autumn! There will presumably be giants! And they will probably stomp all over your precious shelter like a ruthless child atop an ant hill. That’s pretty much everything I can surmise at this point.

As is typical of Klei’s Don’t Starve releases, players are meant to ponder, speculate, and ultimately discover what this is all about for themselves. I’ve asked Klei for more info on the expansion, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Not yet, anyway. In the meantime, it’s worth reiterating that Don’t Starve is really great. And even if you’ve returned from your survival spree looking like a more attractive Tom Hanks from Castaway, there’s still tons of mod content on the game’s Steam Workshop page to tide you over until Reign of Giants comes out.

Right now, Klei’s only saying that it’s “coming soon.” Probably remember to eat at least until then.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. spacevagrant says:

Don’t Starve was fun for a while I’ll admit, but I grew tired of the grind every time you died. I found the early stages so monotonous that I eventually figured out how to backup my saves so I could avoid it but then found there was little challenge left in the game. Hopefully this expansion would find a way to alleviate that problem but I have my doubts.

• ColCol says:

I agree, I have a good amount of hours on the game, but the early stages of the game are boring enough that if I die and I will not try play again for a while.

• Skiddywinks says:

I found that after a couple of deaths it is incredibly easy to work back to where you were. I can achieve in days what took me until the end of winter on my first few play throughs. I don’t see peoples issue with restarting once hitting late game. Sure, its like an hour to get to somewhere similar but with some pre-planning and just a little luck its really kind of a small issue in my opinion.

• whorhay says:

Not to mention once you start figuring out things it takes a few dumb mistakes in a row to die. I basically always keep a log suit and pig skin helmet ready at all times. The only real challenge for me in a restart is finding that first gold nugget.

• spacevagrant says:

The ease of building back up is not the issue here. The problem is the time it takes to restart. Playing basically the same hour of gameplay over and over again is not fun for me after awhile.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Happily, there’s a mod to take care of that.

• huldu says:

Yeah, you’re right about that. I played a lot of don’t starve in the beginning. But these days, I just have no desire to go back and play it. It’s just like a lot of you people are saying about the grind, because it’s true.

2. Christo4 says:

anyone know if they stopped updating the game so much?
    i wanted to buy it but with all the updates it was kinda annoying, i just want a stable experience not to relearn the game again every time…

• Fiatil says:

Yes, they’re done doing their regular content updates now. The game is “complete”, it’s all DLC from here. For the first time ever I’m more than happy about that. They spent 6 solid months after “release” updating the game, after months of regular updates in the beta.

3. Skiddywinks says:

Woot

4. AskForBarry says:

Are there any mods worth installing?

• Skiddywinks says:

A lot, namely larger chests, a house if you want it, deep freezer, minimap, and a couple of others I have forgotten. It has been a few months though so there’s probably even more

• Mattressi says:

If you haven’t fully learnt the game yet, I’d highly recommend Relaxed Crafting. Basically, it pauses the game when you open up the crafting menus. Having not started playing Don’t Starve until it was complete, I found there was too much for me to learn without wasting days in game looking at all the crafting possibilities. I didn’t want to look at the wiki, for fear of learning all of the secrets. Relaxed Crafting worked very well for me.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

I use Compromising Survival to get rid of perma-death, RPG HUD so I can wear backpacks with armour (and get a few more inventory spaces) and I’ve made my own update of the ancient Nerfed Hounds so the periodic hound attacks are less of a pain in the arse.

Quite a few good mods available – check the Steam Workshop or Klei’s forums.

5. Lord_Mordja says:

Yes, but does it also let you craft some 3D maneuver gear?

6. JoeGuy says:

I wouldn’t mind a lower curve for grinding, every time I jump into the game for a couple hours I just get embittered and feel like it’s turned to a grind again.

7. Xviax says:

Does anyone know if after Reign of Giants there will be anymore updates or additional content to the game? I can’t seem to find any announcement or interview from Klei or the devs. Thanks in advance.

Comment on this story