Grim – Woolfe: The Red Riding Hood Diaries

By Nathan Grayson on January 20th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Ooooooooooooooooooo

Back in the day, people built children like we now build war criminals. Tiny tykes weren’t coddled or babied with cheery tales about the world and all its wonders. From the day they sloughed out of the dark prison that was their mother’s womb, kids were weened on a steady diet of gruesome fairy tales and sawblades. But it’s time for a new generation – our generation – to rise up and claim the mantle of Most Powerful Child. That’s why everyone’s making fairy tales more fucked up than ever before. American McGee has made a career out of it, and now a small Belgian studio called GRIN (no, not that one) is taking up its own axe with Woolfe: The Red Riding Hood Diaries. It looks rather stunning, no? I am, however, worried that it could end up a bog standard platformer with a macabre coat of red paint.

And here’s the dev team’s description of what Woolfe will ultimately become:

“Non-sugarcoated steampunk fairy tale, full of drama and dark twists. A vengeful Red Riding Hood confronts her nightmares and demons in a dark sidescroller odyssey.¬†This dark but magical platform game is filled with winks to familiar fairy tales and visual elements reminiscent of masters such as Tim Burton and Anthony Pieck. Woolfe is inspired by story elements from the original, more cruel pre-Grimm versions of Little Red Riding Hood.”

So basically, it’s exactly what it looks like. Only problem is, I can’t spot a single unique element in those trailers. It’s just basic (and rather herky-jerky-looking) platforming. There’s nothing overtly wrong with that, I suppose; I’m just hoping for a little¬†more, is all.

Then again, the game is still quite early, so perhaps it’ll prove all my fears unfounded later on. I certainly hope so. Woolfe has a gorgeous visual style, and I’d love to explore its world provided the actual design of it holds up its end of the bargain. GRIN is hoping to have a public beta ready by March. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go Kickstart a children’s show all about the proper application of curse words. Yes, they will be history’s mightiest, but even that is no excuse for being uneducated.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Alevice says:

I remember being dissapointed with Alice: Madness Returns, because despite the incredible visuals, it was such an average platformer that really just made me feel in the end that it was like disney game with blood.

• misterT0AST says:

On one hand this is true, on the other hand, how often do we see 3d platformers nowadays?
      I think choosing that genre was a brave choice, rather than a lazy one: 3d platformers haven’t been the “go-to genre to make a quick buck” for quite some time now.

• Alevice says:

I wouldnt call it a brave choice, amongst a certain demographic platformers remaion popular, and it s not like they went with a very osbcure genre. And the problem is not that it is a platformer, but rather an average one at best. I found Prince of Persia reboot, Darksiders, and even nonplatformers like Dragons Dogma and Arkham Asylum to be much better at platforming.

• pepperfez says:

I’m with you, but this doesn’t look like a 3d platformer but a 2d platformer with 3d graphics. Still could be fun, but I was hankering for some N64-style action.

• The Random One says:

Yeah, the 3D platformer is a sadly forgotten genre. At least this year we’ll have A Hat in Time (or will we?) but this one is clearly a 2D platformer with 3D graphics, so I for one won’t care for it.

• ncnavguy says:

Found Madness Returns to be lovely really. I became obsessed with jumping just to see her hair flow up and down

• Alevice says:

I can appreciate that much. Makes the bald marine character choice to not hold any water in regards to technical decisions.

• mr.black says:

I found it nice enough overall. It’s one of those games which had nice balance to them between aesthetics, story and gameplay elements. Nothing stood up, everything was supporting one another.

2. ArtyFishal says:

I’m pretty sure they mean Anton Pieck.

3. Felixader says:

Here is a bit of a surprise info for everyone; The fairy tales of old, in their original form, are beeing used for theraphy. Because as it tunrs out many of those storys toggle subconscious problems of development in their tales.

LTK says:

That is so surprising that it actually sounds like complete bullshit.

4. SillyWizard says:

Needs biggar brest

5. Didden says:

Wasn’t this the name of the mechanic that beat up Will on his work experience from The Inbetweeners?

6. Nevard says:

I feel like dark and edgy fairy tales are starting to become more cliched than what they are based on

• GameCat says:

But they’re so dark, edgy, grimdark and mature!

Nope, just kidding.
      Hell, at least make all these bloody fairy tales as something like Dark Souls not some boring ass platformer.

• Geebs says:

Speaking of cliche, I’m willing to bet real, actual, imaginary cash that there will be a lava world and an ice world

• Universal Quitter says:

People joke about ice and lava planets, but realistically speaking, at least with sci-fi games, both types should exist and would be much more common than an earth-like planet.

With this particular game, or with any other fantasy setting, I offer no defense.

• The Random One says:

Ah, good ol’ Banjo-Tooie, which had an ice world and a lava world, which were the same world.

7. top8cat says:

As much as I hate gross over sexualization(almost to a fault), this is a rare case were I want it to dripping with perverse dark innuendo and metaphorical humor. Sort of like the texavery animated version, but a hard R. I’ve always felt that due to the implied nature of the original work, it only makes sense. Although I still find that the original concept is way to dark for my blood, hints Tex’s take.

Jackablade says:

It’s quite pretty but it looks to have about as much Steampunk aesthetic as Gears of War.