Resi Evil 4 ‘Ultimate HD Edition’ = Like A PC Game From 2007

By Alec Meer on January 21st, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Or, at least, like a PC game from 2007 should have look. Sadly the 2007 PC port of what’s widely considered Resident Evil’s finest hour was a half-hearted, shonky, perfunctory thing, and today’s announcement of an ‘Ultimate HD’ version should really be interpreted as an apology that’s seven years too late rather than a cause for celebration. Capcom’s new version promises a solid 60 frames per second, ‘a complete visual overhaul’ and the bestest graphics ever for a game originally released in 2005, and which has since been ported to every platform in the world ever and probably a few which don’t exist yet too. Have a look below. It looks decent enough for sure, but yeah, it ain’t hiding its 2007iness.

Here you go, see if you can spot that it’s “fully optimized for the wide screen, texts have been sharpened and textures have been upgraded on characters, backgrounds and in-game objects”:

In quite an unusual turn of events for the notoriously PC-shy Capcom, for now this is strictly and specifically a PC game, carrying the usual Steam trappings, though there’ll be a disc-based version too. How quaint. I have no doubt that RE4UHE will make its way to Next Jennifer consoles too, if there proves to be enough of an appetite.

You can pre-purchase here if you’re a nutter, but if I were you I’d wait to hear whether or not it really is as buffed up and technically solid as is claimed. Fool us once, etc.

In any case, it’s out on February 28th and will cost £15/$20. Now, can Namco do this for Dark Souls, please?

I played Resi 4 on the GameCube back in the day – pretty good, I thought, especially the impressively stressful and sinister opening sections in not-Spain, though I’m slightly bemused by the people who maintain to this day that it is the greatest thing ever and forever. Don’t they remember the mad evil dwarf bit?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. TheVGamer says:

How many times has this game been rereleased at this point? And to think it was originally a Gamecube exclusive…

• Kaira- says:

If I’m not forgetting anything, there was GC, then PS2, PC, then Wii and then X360/PS3 with the HD whatevers. That is… 5 times? Whoah. But where are HD versions of 1-3 (or just making REmake available on other platforms than GC)?

• welverin says:

1-3 are too old to HDify, they’d require full remakes to spruce to semi-current standards.

• rockman29 says:

There is a remake of Resident Evil on Gamecube, which is quite beautiful.

Also Resident Evil 0.

But Nintendo might have some rights to those, not sure.

• Baines says:

There was a report not long after their release that the deal was that Remake and Zero would stay exclusive unless they sold below specified sales figures.

While Capcom was openly upset with Remake and Zero sales, both games sold fairly well and certainly weren’t failures. (Capcom as a company wanted all the RE games on the PS2, where they believed the games would sell millions more than they managed on the Gamecube. Shinji Mikami, the guy in charge of the series, had developed a serious grudge against Sony and didn’t want them on the PS2. Mikami’s grudge is the reason RE4 was on the Gamecube in the first place.)

There does seem to have been something keeping Capcom from porting at the least Remake at the time. (Later, Capcom seeing RE4′s money making, probably decided that Remake would only sell a few million tops, not enough for them to bother.)

• Cung1947 says:

my best friend’s step-mother makes $74 an hour on the computer . She has been unemployed for 10 months but last month her check was $13881 just working on the computer for a few hours. go to website……

• Anthile says:

Well, it is Capcom we are talking about here.

2. Revolving Ocelot says:

Are you arguing that Not-Napoleon wasn’t a benefit to the game, Meeeeeester Kennedy?

Your right hand comes off?

• BisonHero says:

I love how superbly campy/stupid some of the writing in Resident Evil 4 was. It was truly Resident Evil’s final blaze of glory.

• DarkFenix says:

I loved it too, though I seem to be in the minority among my friends with that view.

They hated it, I personally thought it was so awful it was brilliant.

• jorygriffis says:

I enjoy awful shit now and again, but my two attempts at playing through RE4 have both ended at the part where Leon Kennedy is chased across a crumbling bridge by a tremendous stone robot constructed by Tiny, Evil Napoleon. Just too inane to handle.

• fatgleeson says:

Oh you missed out on where it really got scary.

The Regenerators..

• Cam says:

Regenerators… Those things managed to frighten me more than any game enemy i’ve faced in the last several years.

3. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I wonder if Capcom’s increasing presence in the PC world is a result of the ever-growing costs associated with console development. Besides simply increasing their potential market share, they also get access to established digital-only retailers who do a much better job of marketing products years after the fact (through sales) than Microsoft and Sony do. More potential customers, lower distribution costs, and potential long-term brand awareness.

Now they just need to bring Monster Hunter over.

• DOLBYdigital says:

Agree 100%, please Capcom start porting over Monster Hunter!!

• ramirezfm says:

There is a PC Monster Hunter game, seen one in Tokyo game shop some time ago.

• 65 says:

That would be Monster Hunter Frontier Online, which unfortunately was never released outside of Japan.
          I really don’t get why Japanese publishers hate our money so much.

• malkav11 says:

Localizing games from Japanese is a pretty complicated process with an audience that’s assumed to be limited. Certainly Monster Hunter hasn’t been a wild runaway success in America.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

Probably not exactly what you’re looking for (I know the special magic that is Monster Hunter), but Turtle Rock (The guys who began the development on L4D) are working on a new game called “Evolve.” It’s all about a 4 person team hunting down lumbering behemoths in protection of human colonies on alien worlds.

And, bonus(!) you can even play as the monsters in versus.

I’m looking forward to RPS getting some info on it, since it’s the cover of this month’s Game Informer.

4. DanMan says:

Now, the time porting this (again) is certainly time well spent, right Capcom?

Spoiler: no, it’s not.

@game: I played it on the PS2. Until that point where this long sequence of QTEs against one of the big guys in that warehouse or whatever happens (knife fight? can’t remember). After failing like 20 times I just stopped playing.

5. Ultra Superior says:

2007 was the year of crisis no ?

• Jamesworkshop says:

yes it was

the 2007 pc port

2005 was the actual console release

6. skyturnedred says:

I think they’re doing this to remind people that Resident Evil games used to be good.

7. Heliocentric says:

Step 1:Emulate the Wii version on Dolphin.
    Step 2: There is no step 2.

• DanMan says:

Step 3: see step 2

• Alevice says:

WHen you stare into the abyss, the abyss might stare back at you.

• DrScuttles says:

It always struck me as kind of disappointing that the best game on the Wii was a Gamecube game.

• Jupiah says:

I plan on it, just as soon as I buy a wiimote, a custom usb sensor bar and a usb bluetooth adapter so I can actually play the emulated wii game.

No wait actually it would be much cheaper to just buy the new PC port (assuming it isn’t crap).

• malkav11 says:

Here is what the Wii version offers: the closest thing to mouse aim that a console has yet offered, and the closest that RE4 has come to despite already having been released for PC…without any mouse support at all. But why settle for next best when you can just have mouse aim?

• Nick says:

Actually I prefer the way the Wii version aims and controls over mouse/keyboard. In this one instance.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t see how you can make an accurate comparison when there’s no existent version of RE4 with native mouse support and the “mouse aim” mode for the previous port maps it as a virtual joystick.

8. Mejwell says:

Is this not just a port of the HD version they released for Playstation 3/ Xbox 360 two years ago? http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2011/07/27/resident_evil_hd_titles_dated,_priced,_gameplay_videod

But more importantly, can you use a damn mouse?

• Convolvulus says:

I tried a mouse mod on the existing PC version, and even with smoothing issues it was clear how pointless the game would be with precise aiming. You go to an area, enemies slowly advance, and you just patiently click on their heads.

• malkav11 says:

Per Steam: Native keyboard and mouse support with customizable key binding, mouse sensitivity, and mouse acceleration settings.

So, yes.

9. Shakes999 says:

Favorite game of all time but seriously, what the hell is the point of this?

• Jamesworkshop says:

to make money, capcoms love money

RE4 to me gave rise to gears and dead space even uncharted to a degree

• malkav11 says:

Being able to play the damn game, since it’s unplayable with a gamepad and the previous PC version didn’t have mouse support. (Unplayable for me, anyway. Obviously people have muddled through somehow, but I’m pretty sure it must have caused serious trauma.)

10. jrodman says:

I mean, I concede all the points about its out of datedness here, but don’t people like being able to play a game they appreciate without having to use a console that probably broke 5 years ago?

I mean, yes this is well overblown, but isn’t there a minor plus about having access to what some might consider a classic on the PC?

I dunno, I would never have liked this game in the first place, but being able to buy some of my PSX and PS2 era favourites on PC (not to mention SNES, Amiga and so on) would be something I’d welcome. (And yes, I’m aware I can play them without buying them, and I sometimes do — after all, I own most of them.)

• Jason Moyer says:

I would really like to see more games through the DC/PS2/Xbox generation ported to PC now. Sega’s been doing it, although they’ve also chosen odd games at times (Space Channel 5 Part 2 instead of the original?) and there have been some other HD remakes of varying quality, like Tony Hawk HD and Duck Tales, but I’d still like it to become more of a thing, even if I use those ports more for preservation/collection than actually playing.

Actually, the last console generation seemed to do better in this regard. The PS3 has updated ports of the first 3 Devil May Cry games, the first 3 Splinter Cell games, the Sands Of Time trilogy, etc. Xbox 360 has Rez HD. I’d like to see more of this stuff come to Steam.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

I would toss my hat into the notion of titles from older consoles ported over to PC, if for nothing else than game preservation. There were really some great games from the DC/PS2/GC era that would still find an audience with PC gamers, if nothing else than nostalgia and curiosity. It might not replicate the actual console, but I’m sure people can live with it.

• Kefren says:

The game is already available for PC (I completed it twice), this is just a newer version. Strangely it looks identical to the PC version I completed, though I’m aware of it being tweaked. (I’m just saying this regarding the point that you need a console to play it otherwise.) I’m happy to have a newer version though.

11. Vinraith says:

So to be clear, they’ll spend time porting this to PC a second time, but they can’t be bothered to remove GfWL from their games before it renders them all unplayable by shutting down? Not cool, Capcom, not cool.

• Mejwell says:

While it’s far from them, you know, actually doing anything, they’ve announced they’re aware of the situation:

• Vinraith says:

Wow, thanks for posting that, I’d not seen it. Here’s hoping they actually do what they say, but it’s encouraging to at least see an acknowledgement.

• SkittleDiddler says:

The link you provided goes all the way back to October of last year, while the Joystiq article is from three days ago. Which one should we be trusting?

It’s completely within the realm of possibility that Capcom simply changed their minds and will not be transitioning their GfWL titles after all. Could be a miscommunication error too.

• Carra says:

It’s sad if the only way in which you can actually play a game is by downloading a torrent…

• jrodman says:

I feel close to this regarding the aging catalogue of older games. Yes I could scour ebay and various other sources to locate working-condition copies of Amiga games on floppy disks, purchase a boutique computer or drive in which to use them, and get them running again. However, the effort might prove herculean for less popular titles. Just finding any copy would be difficult, but one where the magnetic surface is still intact may be ultimately impossible for some titles.

I mean, I could also reverse-engineer the GFWL protocol or the game checks. But I might not have the time and resources for either.

• Carra says:

Yes, I’m glad to spend $6 on gog.com if you just give me an out of the box, problems free solution that doesn’t involve cracks, emulators or potential viruses.

• jrodman says:

I’m also happy to personally attest that there is a market remaining for those older games and games in a similar style.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

Crap. I see my Fable 3 physical copy I bought at launch is soon to be hosed T_T. Thanks Microsoft!

12. aludlam says:

I remember a knife fight, a big fish, and en extended escort mission. Past that, the game didn’t leave any lasting impressions. As such I don’t see the point in remaking it, since it’s been remade several times already. I’m surprised Capcom still thinks there’s milk left in that cow.

RE2 was much more memorable for me. It could just be nostalgia, but it was a different game than anything out at the time. You couldn’t beat everything down. You had to pick your shots, conserve ammo, pick and choose what to keep on your person. Frequent, unexpected jump-scares. Far more formative. Tank controls and all, I’d pay for an HD version of RE2 today.

• Shakes999 says:

Its the opposite for me. Resident Evil 4 was a game changer back then. Everything about it was polished to a never before seen shine. Granted its been a downhill slide ever since but at the time of release, it was mindblowing.

Understandable it marked the point when it moved from survival horror to action and in retrospect of RE 5/6, prob was a bad move. But RE 4 was such a high point, who would have thought it was going to fall so far.

• Kefren says:

I loved RE2 and RE: Nemesis, played them both loads of times back in the day, they were my favourite PC games for a while.

13. Superpat says:

Was rewatching old doctor who episodes the other day, specifically the lazarus experiment and that monster on the opening image looks exactly like the mutated scientist in that episode.

14. hypercrisis says:

$20 for a game this cheap and easy to find elsewhere? I don’t see the point.

• malkav11 says:

No other version will have anything remotely approaching mouse aim.

15. Carra says:

60 FPS! Full HD! Wide Screen! How has that ever been a selling point on PC? Those trailer marketeers haven’t got a clue about PC games.

• jrodman says:

Well… there was a time when widescreen was a completely new thing, as opposed to 4:3. Although I guess I had ducked out of PC gaming entirely during that introductory period.

• Carra says:

Fair point, had to dabble a bit with websites like widescreengaming to get some games to work properly when I bought my first widescreen seven years ago.

• skyturnedred says:

Those actually are quite good selling points since the first port was total bollocks.

• Ragnar says:

And yet how many recent console ports miss those basic standards? Dark Souls and Need for Speed both fail the test.

• darkChozo says:

It’s a rerelease; the expectations are different. Those are the improvements over the 2005 original, when you needed to buy an accessory in order to experience blistering 480p.

• SavageTech says:

To be fair, their other proposed marketing lines were “It’s not shit!” and “Actually playable now!”

16. CelticPixel says:

I can’t face that big boulder again…

17. tumbleworld says:

“high-definition violence and terror in HD.” That’s okay then.

PS, Capcom — high-def renderings of muddy, low-poly models still look muddy and low-poly, ‘kay?

18. Jamesworkshop says:

I don’t see much worry it’s basically just making the game available for purchase again, on PC anyway.

19. popeguilty says:

I was one of the poor fools who bought RE4 on PC the first time. I hooked up my PS2 controller and worked fine, right up until I got to a QTE. See, the PC RE4 port has the same QTEs as every other version, but instead of showing you what button or buttons to push, it pops up a grey circle with the number of the button it wants you to push. That’s not like a number on the keyboard- RE4 for PC assigns each button function a number and you’re expected to memorize which key or button corresponds to which number (and it’s not like it’s saying “shoot”, it’s saying “8″ and expecting you to know that 8 is the Inventory button). It’s almost completely unplayable.

20. Aerothorn says:

I was a little slow on this story – if a developer does nothing, does that mean the *single-player* game becomes unplayable, or simply that all multiplayer components/achievements fail?

21. top8cat says:

I’m buying it, I had a hell of a time playing it on PC and never fully ‘supported it’, I will not miss the chance to do it this time.

22. fawstoar says:

SUFFER IN HD… Oh my.

23. DOLBYdigital says:

I’m sure I’ll catch some hate but this is one of my favorite games of all time. I do think the Wii version is the definitive version just because the wiimote controls are so sublime for this game. However I am very very happy to see a proper PC release and will gladly pay $20 for this. Honestly they just don’t make games like this anymore!

**Please capcom remove GFWL while doing this upgrade (thanks!)

• Snidesworth says:

Pretty sure you won’t. The game seems to be highly regarded in most circles, though it did trigger the subsequent descent of the series. I’ve seen people complain that it was a major deviation from previous RE games but very few people see it as a bad game.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

In spite of the being accused often of being the “beginning of the end” for the franchise, I have to give it credit for managing to maintain most of the great atmosphere, sound design, and music composition of the previous games.That stuff counts for a lot more than people tend to give it credit for.

In fact my disappointment with 5 stems more from the blandness of all of the above rather than it’s action quotient.

Not to say those are the only problems 5 had, but that’s what stuck out to me since I had loved 4 so much.

24. clumsyandshy says:

Yay, one of the most overrated games in history of man makes a comeback – in HD!
    Rejoice!

25. ZIGS says:

Too little too late I’m afraid. I played it recently on the PC with mods and it looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/wAfJNnH.jpg

Apart from the HUD, it looks just as good, if not better than this HD re-release

26. mxjcmxjc says:

R4 was the best D#MN Resident Evil game hands down. It was the only reason why I purchased the Game Cube. I had so much fun playing this game.

27. Sunjammer says:

“Don’t they remember the mad evil dwarf bit?” YES!??! so!?!?

28. alfredjfrankel says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hr on the computer. She has been out of work for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $18010 just working on the computer for a few hours. read this….

29. db1331 says:

YESSSSS. I almost broke down and bought the HD remake on PS3. So glad I didn’t now. I’ll snatch this up on a sale. Man, if the mouse aim is solid, this is going to be REALLY fun. My favorite version of this right now is the Wii one, just because the pointer aim is much more accurate than with a pad. The visuals suck, though.

30. Ergates_Antius says:

£15 for a 9 year old console port? Hmmm, let me think….

31. El Mariachi says:

It may be a lot of people’s favorite and not a bad game on the merits, but RE4 was when the series stopped being recognizably Resident Evil at all. I’d take the original, 2, and Code Veronica over 4 any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

32. racccoon says:

4 was fair, but most of Resident Evil’s recents haven’t had any form of brilliance at all.

33. Jupiah says:

So does this mean they might actually port over all the console exclusive dlc for Resident Evil 5 to the PC next?

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

If they do that, I might actually pick up RE5 in a steam sale. Right now I can only glance angrily back and forth from the unexpanded version on STEAM, and the Gold edition that won’t play in my dead PS3.

34. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Crap. Even if I only pay 5 bucks for this, I’ll still have to unlock the friggin’ hand cannon all over again. |:(

35. Tayh says:

So have they fixed QTE’s showing controller prompts when playing with mouse+keyboard?

36. Cinek says:

“Capcom’s new version promises a solid 60 frames per second” – no 120?
    LAME.
    GET BACK TO WORK!!!!

37. Perkelnik says:

It’s currently sitting on 5th place in Steam topsellers chart, which is good. I really hope they make a decent port, players buy a lot of copies, Capcom sees it’s worthy to support RE5 (read remove GFWL) and eventually bring RE1-3 on Steam. Fingers crossed.

38. Chizu says:

I’ve always avoided the pc version of 4. I heard all the horror stories. I played it back on the gamecube in the day, and loved it. So chances are, so long as this port is not the worst thing ever, chances are I’ll pick it up.
    I even happen to have £15 in my steam wallet from selling silly digital cards to people.

39. bill says:

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. I seem to remember hearing that:
    The Gamecube version had realtime lighting/shadows.
    The PS2 port didn’t.
    The first PC port was from the PS2 port, so it also didn’t.
    *I have no idea about the Wii version._
    Then they released “HD” ports of the PS2 version on the PS3/Xbox360.
    And this seems to now be the PC port of the PS3/360 HD ports. Right?

So does this version have decent lighting? (and does the Wii version?) or is the gamecube version still the only decent one?

I actually had a gamecube, but this game was always expensive and I never got a chance to play it back then. I’ve wanted to play it ever since, so if this is actually a decent version then I’d be interested. But if it’s a crappy port of a port of a crappy port, then I think i’ll leave it.

40. Kefren says:

I completed it twice on PC, after a friend showed me the intro on his Gamecube. I really enjoyed it, though thought the opening half hour was the best. After that it became a bit silly. I remember thinking I was near the end of the game, quite happy about it: then reached the castle, and realised I was nowhere near the end. I had mixed feelings about that. Some new shocks and ideas, but it also extended the game slightly beyond what I felt like playing. It must have had an effect though, it was one of the (many) influences for my first novel. http://karldrinkwater.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-inspiration-for-turner.html