50 More: Steam Greenlight Causes Another Game Pile-up

By Graham Smith on January 22nd, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Catlateral Damage is amongst the list.

Valve have pushed another 50 games through the Steam Greenlight system, which by my count finally pushes us over the limit. There are now officially too many games. Please cease and desist all game manufacturing immediately. This is not a drill.

As always, Valve explained the way methods by which these particular fifty games were selected:

These titles were selected on the same criteria we have been using in the past: Votes in Greenlight give us a hugely valuable point of data in gauging community interest along with external factors such as press reviews, crowd-funding successes, performance on other similar platforms, and awards and contests to help form a more complete picture of community interest in each title.

This doesn’t mean you can buy the games on Steam yet, just that they’ll be getting a contract, a release manager, and will be able to release on the distribution platform when the game’s are ready. Some of them are already available to buy elsewhere, so it shouldn’t take too long for a few to appear. Catlateral Damage, RymdResa and No Photos, Please are amongst those accepted this time.

Steam Greenlight’s problems are well-documented, though many of those qualms have been replaced a different kind of concern: that there are too many games. Notably, Jeff “Avadon” Vogel writing about the ‘indie bubble’ bursting as the market is flooded. I’m unconvinced.

But I do think the now constant influx of games, through Greenlight and Early Access and elsewhere, is changing the industry faster than anyone can keep up. It’s hard to review a game when that game is likely to have changed significantly within a day/week/month of your words being published. It’s hard to decide when to review a game when they’re sold before they’re finished. When is a game even “out” now? We’ve come to rely on platforms, shops and critics as filters, helping us to decide what games to ignore and which to pay attention to. The filters are now getting clogged, and some of the filters aren’t even filters anymore. Some are taps.

It’s still better than the alternative, which is fewer games, less to write about, less that’s innovative and interesting, and fewer developers who can afford to eat. So, you know. Don’t actually stop. Check out the full list and think back on the bad old days.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. KDR_11k says:

CTRL-F “Drox”

… seriously?

• gou says:

post needs a “still no drox operative” tag

RedViv says:

Hey, at least 100fps Game Capture is in. Celebrate!

Can RPS just give Drox the Game Of The Month That Should Totally Be Greenlit Because Come On Now Award already? Apparently that helps.

• Gargenville says:

I hope it at least bypasses the 1-steamapp–at-a-time restriction.

• SleepKiller says:

The limitation of only being able to start-up one app (be it game or software) on Steam at a time can be overcome by following these simple steps.

Step 1. Alt-Tab out of said game or software you started up first.
          Step 2. In Steam proceed to open new game or software.
          Step 3. Enjoy the ability to open up as many games or software as you see fit.

2. pkt-zer0 says:

ACES WILD!!!

Fucking finally. One of the top 2D beat-em-up games, I’d say. The best dog- and giant-cat-robot-puncher game, for sure.

3. Moraven says:

I do appreciate having Steam Reviews now along with the hours played included. It makes it easier to sort out what Greenlight games released and games on sale if they are worth picking up right away.

4. Themadcow says:

Thinking back to the mid-80’s and the golden age of indie (‘bedroom’) programming, the bubble only burst during the emergence of 16 bit systems with more complicated coding requirements and the rapid acceleration of graphical power (who wanted to play Jet Set Willy when you could have Shadow Of The Beast?). Seeing as graphics have pretty much come to a standstill and barriers to programming have dropped somewhat, I’m pretty sure the ‘indie bubble’ will be around for a while yet.

*goes off down the newsagents to buy some 1p sweets, PROPER Roast Beef Monster Munch with nuggets of beef flavour at the bottom… and the new Dizzy game for £1.99*

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

A tap is a valve that can be switched off. I would therefore recommend the use of sewage outflow as a metaphor instead as poo comes down it whenever it wishes

6. Noburu says:

Anyone have an idea why Drox Operative isnt making the cut? Are there too few people voting for it while there is a vocal minority of fanatics pushing for it? Soldak already has one or two games on Steam so I dont see what the hold up is or why they would even need greenlight to start with.

• dogoncrook says:

Probably. I knew it would be mentioned repeatedly here if it didn’t make the cut but I have no idea what the game is or what it’s about. I never hear anything about the game, the only time it’s mentioned is in the context of greenlight, so honestly I just brush it off as the internet being the internet and bitching about things. Hell even after this spiel, and taking the time to write this out, I still won’t even bother to Google it. I suspect I’m not in the minority.

strangeloup says:

I suspect I’m in the minority on RPS for finding all the Soldak games I’ve tried to be absolutely terrible.

7. Shuck says:

“Votes in Greenlight give us a hugely valuable point of data in gauging community interest along with external factors such as press reviews, crowd-funding successes, performance on other similar platforms, and awards and contests”
    That seems like a lot more information than they’ve given in the past as to what their criteria are. It sill pretty much amounts to: “We’re Greenlighting the games that we want to, but we’re pretending there’s an objective metric that we use to make the decision.”

• Convolvulus says:

The relative transparency of Greenlight when compared to the rest of a very murky approval process has led the community to view those votes as a driving factor when they’re likely just another item on a long checklist. The numbers objectively show how many people voted on a thing, but all that generally says is whether or not a game is a complete dud in terms of consumer interest, which is valuable but extremely limited market data.

8. pakoito says:

Catlateral damage is in. Steam has officially become a shovelware platform and Greenlight is even more of a joke.

Can I slap together a cute Unity prototype over the weekend and get past Steam Greenlight too?

9. kevinspell says:

A few months ago people were bitching and moaning how to few games come from Greenlight to the store. Now they are bitching and moaning that too many games are coming from Greenlight to the store. I did not expect this to happen at all…

• dE says:

Yep and of course they’re the same people, right? It’s totally unthinkable to imagine that… like… woah, they might actually be different people, right?

• Convolvulus says:

Yeah, sorry. That was all me. The only thing I hate more than Greenlight is a world without Greenlight.

10. DrManhatten says:

This has all the symptoms that we are heading towards another massive gaming crash like in the mid-80s of videogames. Just too much mediocre crap comes out that people get frustrated and loose interest completely.

• The Random One says:

Yes, that is pretty much the state of the AAA game industry.

• frightlever says:

The PC gaming scene isn’t a single scene it’s thousands of niches and a few giant publishers. AAA PC gaming going the way of the dinosaur wouldn’t really be a huge loss, if it was replaced with a bunch of inventive B games.

• epeternally says:

The indie PC gaming scene isn’t all gems, though, it’s a bunch of retro shovelware and Minecraft clones with the occasional jewel thrown in if you look hard enough. Let’s not deceive ourselves into thinking the state of indie is really any better than the state of AAA.

11. Junon says:

Still no Diehard Dungeon, either. For shame.

12. squareking says:

And no freaking Book of Eschalon III.

strangeloup says:

I’m waiting for the inevitable batch of greenlight titles that features nothing anybody has ever heard of, at least anybody who doesn’t spend every day faffing about examining the list of potentially greenlit.

I have only heard of Catlatteral Damage and the zombie MOBA that I have already forgotten the name of (Dead… something?), both via RPS. Not an exceptional showing.

14. Chizu says:

I have been waiting forever for them to greenlight Diadra Empty.
    Every batch, I hope to see it. It never comes.
    What annoys me is there was stuff in this latest batch that was only on greenlight for like, a week.
    How does that work :(

15. Nikita "Hot Stuff" Khrushchev says:

I’m still upset that the Jimmy Savile Murders didn’t get greenlit before being taken down. I think that was by far the most …..interesting “game” I’ve ever seen on Greenlight.