A Game And A Chat Ep 1: Tim Schafer

By Nathan Grayson on January 22nd, 2014 at 6:55 pm.

And now for something completely different. Or, well, actually kinda similar to other stuff you might have seen before, but in video form and on RPS. A Game And A Chat (tentative title, probably) is a weekly live show in which I play a game with a developer and, you know, chat with them. At the same time. I am nothing if not multi-talented. Sometimes the game will be all shiny and new, other times it’ll be aged, haggard, and only tangentially relevant. Who knows? Maybe one day it’ll be a boardgame. Or tag. Or cage-fighting. This first episode, however, is fairly straightforward. Given that Broken Age is about to land in the click-hungry hands of the masses, I thought I’d bring Tim Schafer into the studio. By which I mean my bedroom. Via, er, a webcam. But not like that. Oh jeez just click past the break and watch us discuss Serious Topics while being accused of murder by trees or something. We’re kicking off at 11:00 AM PT/7:00 PM GMT*.

Update: We’re done! The full video is posted below.

And here’s a YouTube version, if you prefer that:

*barring inevitable technical difficulties

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

Top comments

1. caff says:

This is great, but PLEASE can we have a bit more notice, say even 24/12 hours ahead so I can plan to be there rather than stuck in my work cubicle staring at spreadsheets?

Oh and TIm Schafer & Broken Age are brilliant. So there.

2. Nathan Grayson says:

Oh, totally. This all came together sort of last-minute, which is why technical hiccups and spur-the-moment announcements abounded. Also, I’ve never done an interview on camera before, so it was utterly nerve-wracking. This feature will get much, much better as time goes on. Gotta start somewhere, though. I am grateful to Tim for sticking it out.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Isn’t this genre of the sort that gets ‘orribly spoiled if you watch any sort of playthrough vid? Sooo maybe play it first, then come back and watch this?

• seles04 says:

my neighbor’s mom makes $66 an hour on the internet. She has been without work for 5 months but last month her income was $16989 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site …………… http://flx.im/22RT7

2. jorygriffis says:

Ruh roh! 11:04!

3. jorygriffis says:

Whoa that duck is too special for me to handle. Love that duck.

4. Drayk says:

Hey there is no sound now !
    Tim we don’t hear you anymore !

5. G-Lord says:

The Astro A40 – good headset choice ;). Really enjoyed episode 1 of Broken Age.

6. Hodge says:

Cheers for doing this, it’s brilliant so far.

7. db1331 says:

Ask him to stick around while you do a full Monkey Island playthrough. Then Psychonauts

8. caff says:

Oh and TIm Schafer & Broken Age are brilliant. So there.

• Nathan Grayson says:

• caff says:

No worries, I thought it was a good interview but a bit disjointed with the sound etc.

I’m looking forward to you doing more stuff like this.

9. Serpok says:

Will there be question about Broken Age’s iPad-ish interface?

• Drayk says:

I asked him in the comments and he replied at 19:30 that they where gonna add options for the controls. So probably smaller cursor and clicking instead of drag and drop i think !

10. jfrisby says:

Thanks Tim, and Nathan – and thanks for grilling Tim on puzzles/depth.

11. amateurviking says:

Is this a conscious rejection of transcription and all it stands for?

I approve!

12. Noburu says:

Not to be a downer, but I really dont like watching videos of such things instead of reading them. I frequently am either doing other things like have a conversation or taking care of the kids and text is just much more convenient.

EDIT: I do understand though that a lot of people like this sort of thing.

• Nathan Grayson says:

My plan for the future is to conduct the interviews live and then write out the best bits a little bit later. All I want is literally everybody on Earth’s happiness. I don’t think that’s so much to ask.

• Ragnar says:

I much prefer reading transcripts to watching videos too, for much the same reasons, but also because it’s much faster and because this video won’t load on my Android phone’s Dolphin browser. No idea why, just see a blank space where a video should be.

Edit: The YouTube embed works. No idea why the original didn’t show up.

13. PeopleLikeFrank says:

Needs “invisible hamburger” tag.

14. jorygriffis says:

I read the post announcing this at pretty much exactly 11:00 PST and to be honest, I totally enjoyed how small and off-the-cuff this was. Tim was a super willing participant, too.

15. Gap Gen says:

Can you boost Tim’s audio channel in the YouTube video? Can’t hear him even with my tablet’s volume on full.

16. Stirbelwurm says:

Argh, you know I’d love to view this interview, but then again, I also want to enjoy the game without any spoilers. I even own the game, but it planned on playing it, when it’s complete. But it looks like it gets harder by the day to do so, because of things like this :/

Anyway, I like the concept of what you are doing though.

17. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

It looks lovely. I can’t wait to play it. When it’s done.

I still figure I should buy it now, so they get the money, and it helps even a tiny bit in them having the money to complete it.

18. Tony M says:

I love developer chats (especially the handsome and funny Tim Shafer) but I’m too wary of spoilers to watch something like this. I’ll bookmark it and watch it after I play the game, which I can’t play until the whole game is released, because I’m anal about completionism as well as spoilers.

Please interview Jon Chey of Blue Manchu. Hes got a pleasant speaking voice and a thoughtful and wonderfully honest style when answering questions. I know Card Hunter isn’t exactly competing with GTA V for gamer attention, but you could ask him questions about Free-To-Play and Bioshock, System Shock 2, and also damn it ask him about Card Hunter because its brilliant.

19. oasis789 says:

do you know how to adjust your mic volume

Comment on this story