Counter-Strike: GO’s Operation Bravo Earns An Encore

By Graham Smith on January 22nd, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Who is this guy? I don't like him.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive‘s Steam Workshop is full of custom-made maps for the veteran multiplayer shooter, but under normal circumstances those maps can only be played on certain, custom servers. Operation Bravo takes eight of those community maps and makes them playable on official, ranked matchmaking servers in Casual, Deathmatch and Competitive game modes. For $6/£3.50.

The event was set to end this past Monday, but Valve have extended it til February 5th. Because, as the CS: GO blog explains, it’s proven so popular.

The pack includes eight maps – Agency, Ali, Cache, Chinatown, Gwalio, Ruins, Seaside, and a re-imagined version of old classic, Siege. It also nets you access to 15 map-themed weapon finishes, so you can paint up your favourite murder-funnels real nice with, like, teeth in the front, and realistic scuffing around the handle.

Also it comes with a coin. The coin is upgradable and tracks your stats.

It seems almost passé to write about anything Counter-Strike-related at this point. Hasn’t everyone played it already? Don’t you all know that it’s good? But Valve have rejuvenated my interest in the game with Global Offensive so completely that I find myself excited about it again. I want to lick the succor of every new microsite, coo politely at the reveal of each new case full of weapon skins, and re-capture my teenaged years by making shitty maps for it.

Ah, I just bought it. Just there, after writing that paragraph. It only cost me 55p and I don’t know why because the site says it’s $6, but there we go.

As per tradition with today’s news posts, here’s a link to something Rich Stanton wrote, this time about gambling away his guns and items on competitive matches.

Lick your own succor from the Operation Bravo microsite for $6/£3.50/55p maybe. 2.8 million played-hours for this update can’t be wrong. Although the experience had during those hours can be subjective, so make your own mind up.

, , , , .

1. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I first played Counter-Strike at a LAN party years ago, having come straight from consoles and Goldeneye 64. No one explained anything to me and I was destroyed every round for hours and hours. It took a few LAN parties with the same group before I became close to having a positive kill/death ratio.

And here I am now, utterly addicted to CS:GO. I absolutely love it. I love the weapon drops and skins – mainly because I can make Steam money on them; and the maps are still just as fun to me, all these years later. Some of the Bravo maps are a little better than others, I think, but overall it’s worth paying the map-makers back for their work.

2. Serpok says:

“It only cost me 55p”

Did you had some currency in your steam valet? By default steam spends your valet first and if there is not enough in it – it takes the rest from credit card.

What is this event about? Haven’t they began selling bravo coins/map pack access half a year ago already?

• mpk says:

Nope, it only costs 55p. I paid the same a week or so ago, well after the Steam sale ended.

3. Branthog says:

And, after a few months, the maps fucking vanish.

Valve really needs to ditch the official servers so the community servers and the community feeling (playing with the same people regularly) comes back.

• Shodex says:

This. CS:GO is an excellently built shooter but it’s missing what makes CS such a rewarding experience. The fact that it’s your experience. It’s not a different rabble of loud mouth, cussing, angry gamers you play with every time, you settle in on a local server and it’s YOUR rabble of loud mouth, cussing, angry gamers. And when that aforementioned rabble finds a cool community map, they can all play it together having a jolly old time.

Now we have to pay for the privilege to play community maps with strangers for a limited time. Which cheapens the experience and only makes me want to go back to Source where I already own all the DLC maps.

On top of that, the removal of the ability to find funny, and/or raunchy pictures and plaster them on the walls next to enemy corpses is a horrible sin and everyone involved in the removal of sprays should be sentenced to the fate of slapped silly by a large fish for at least 6-8 months.

• SillyWizard says:

Isn’t this what friends-lists are for? Also, can you not still play on pubs?

(I was playing on pubs a lot when I initially got CSGO, but I’m pretty much strictly a (poor) competitive player now — it’s clearly “how the game was meant to be played.” Still, I play comps with folks from my friends list, and since I can’t hear the opposing team…what’s not to like?)

• Zulthar says:

I was afraid of this and I haven’t played very much but isn’t there a server browser with custom maps? Aren’t these on there? Can’t you just download the map and host it?

• HothMonster says:

There is a server browser same as always. These maps (and anything else the host wants) are being played on the community servers. free for everyone. You only need to buy this to play these maps on the matchmaking servers. % of proceeds go to the map makers.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

It could be my location and the time of day I play, but I regularly play with the same people. And all I ever do is click on play a game or whatever it says.

• kalirion says:

I for one am enjoying the competitive matchmaking with official servers. I tried server browsing a couple times, and it’s been a rather frustrating experience.

4. ObiDamnKenobi says:

Pay more money for (community made!) maps for a game I already paid money for?! Wtf? No way. That’s just gross

5. BigEyeGuy says:

I love the Bravo update and the fact that the maps were open in competitive as well. Had a lot of interesting matches in Agency which is probably the best comp map in this update