Don’t Mention It: Germany At War Demo

By Adam Smith on January 22nd, 2014 at 8:00 am.

There are several reason contributing to the fact that wargames have remained a niche hobby while comic books and Dungeons & Dragons have stealthily infiltrated the mainstream. Look at the image in this link. Perhaps your reaction is to spit axle grease into your hands, rub them together and wrestle with the hexes and stats immediately. Or maybe you think the whole thing looks like a particularly unpleasant piece of history/mathematics homework. The fact that publisher Matrix lists Germany At War as “Complexity – Basic” is one of the key reasons that wargames are in a niche. They think that basic training involves holding your breath underwater for two hours while completing an extremely difficult Sudoku. It doesn’t help that they’re pricey and rarely have demos, but Germany At war now has a trial version. So jump in and measure the complexity.

The Flare Path has encountered Germany At War before now (many times, I expect) and those words may help where I cannot. I’m sure my time will come to conduct a war with Germany but that time is not now.

Here’s a feature list:

Easy-to-use but realistic combat, movement and logistics system
Realistic map and time scales
Ground and Air units as well as specialized unit types such as Engineer and Reconnaissance battalions
Different unit sizes fully modelled and viable, from Tiger Battalions to Infantry Divisions
Wide variety of support units and realistic historical upgrades for each unit type as units earn experience
Historical equipment base on historical availability
Dynamic branching campaign system with player decisions, choose the main German axis of attack after the battle of Smolensk.
Interesting and innovative mission objectives make each scenario unique
In-Game scenario events like bridge destruction, reinforcements based on player actions, news from other fronts, etc.
PBEM++ play via server
Balanced Stand-alone scenarios suitable for head to head play and as either side
Scenario Editor
4 Campaigns

I do love a dynamic branching campaign.

, , , , .

1. DrMcCoy says:

I rather think one of the main reasons is that real-life tabletop wargames are both so damn expensive and damn labour-intensive.

• Yserbius says:

Labor intensive, possibly. Expensive, absolutely not. Maybe miniature games (that is, games involving miniatures, not small games) like Games Workshop/Fantasy Flight stuff can run you a hard dollar, but your average old-school Avalon Hill game won’t run you much more than the latest from Z-Man.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

They’re waiting for you Adam.

In the AirLand Battle chamberrrr

SuddenSight says:

I was introduced to the concept of game-complexity by Strategy & Tactics magazine (a wargames magazine), and subconsciously I still use their standard.

So whenever a friend asks me, “is Settlers of Catan complicated?” I must always respond with “what do you mean by ‘complicated’?”

• arccos says:

I would be interested to know what they said about it. Do you have a link or a quick explanation handy?

4. PsychoWedge says:

But you think you got away with it, Mr Adam? ^^

I sooooooo wish that our mainstream media press (and with our I mean the German one) would learn about a wargame called “Germany At War”. It would be glorious! We would see Angie the Merkel or at least the minister for family affairs ranting and bellowing on TV, demanding an end to subversive nazi-indoctrination of the youth and world-wide regulations for this kind of thing. I mean they still regularly lose their heads and go nuts whenever they are informed that there are still FPS made somewhere in the world… xD

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

Glad to see that Matrix have relaxed their no demos rule. I will be trying this one out :)

6. mariandavid says:

Agreed re the Matrix no demo imbecility. After a couple of nasty experiences (nasty in hurting my brain) swore to never get a Matrix without demos – so will certainly get this demo at the very least.

7. Sourman says:

I’ve been on the edge of diving into this kind of strategy games, but I’ve never taken the plunge. A demo is always welcomed, I’m going to take this for a spin.

As a small aside, would this game be a good one for a total newcomer to the genre?

• damaki says:

Panzer Corps, definitely. Its tutorial are top notch, the interface is damn clear, and you don’t have to learn hardcore tactical/operational/strategical stuff such as chain of command and logistics.
      And when you get frustrated by the “1 unit by hex rule”, you could have a look at Alea Jacta Est, but do not forget to have a look at slightly unofficial tutorials available in Matrix Forums, by then. The included tutorial are damn incomplete. Heck, even I had to search the web to learn about how I can build new units….

If you’ve liked Civilization, you could also like the Europa Universalis games, which have a more realistic, historic and strategic feel to them.

Ah, and do not hesitate to leave aside those ugly UI *classic* or heavily acclaimed games. Spartan UIs should have rational limits and games such as World At War or War In The East do not have, by any standard, a good UI.
      PC wargame gamers seem to be a strange breed, shellshocked Stockholm syndrome style, who got used to horrible UIs.

• Sourman says:

I’ve been having a blast with Panzer Corps, thanks for the suggestion!

8. Felixader says:

Okay, Pop-Quiz for the RPS Folks: what is the Cousin, of the Uncle of the brother of the person who wrote this post to the writer itself?