Black & White & Orange: The Mims Is The Cutest God Game

By Nathan Grayson on January 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 am.

You know, I’ve always kinda wondered if the saying “cute as the dickens” is nature or nurture. I can’t not say it when I see something adorable, yet I don’t really remember my parents ever using it to great effect. Perhaps it’s simply buried in my genes, a vestigial reminder of the iron-fisted grip tiny doe-eyed things have on my biology. Regardless, I uttered The Phrase the moment I laid eyes on The Mims: Beginning, which will presumably be followed by The Mims: Middle and The Mims: End. Don’t let its Spore-like color palette fool you, though. This god game takes more from Populous and Black & White than it does EA’s evolutionary misstep.

The Mims are improbably huggable-looking creatures whose spaceship went kerblam, forcing them to settle on a number of nearby planets and planetoids. Problem is, many of these Avatar-esque hovering land chunks were already inhabited, and multifarious forms of flora and fauna aren’t exactly happy to have guests. I’m pretty sure I spotted a sabertooth tiger rhino, so probably prepare for some, er, interesting encounters.

Fortunately, you’re god! Or at least, you’re basically god. I doubt the Mims can tell the difference. This means that on top of being in charge of RTS-like defense and expansion, you’ve got various “PSI” powers at your disposal – for instance, rain clouds, crowd control explosions, and buffs that turn your citizens from baby Oompa Loompas to this version of Carrot Top.

Also, I kind of adore this “key features” list. No, the English isn’t perfect, but that only adds to the charm.

• Expansion of a colony
  • The autonomy of characters
  • Researching new technologies
  • Upgrading buildings
  • Simulation of God
  • Special powers at player’s disposal
  • Protecting colony from the wildlife creatures
  • Planting your own fruit crops
  • Many different types of plants with different ways of fruiting
  • Creating and taking care of the various livestock
  • Selling livestock at the intergalactic supermarket
  • Timeline allowing to predict the future events
  • Keep away pests and predators by controlling smell sensor
  • Various flying islands with many adventures

I can’t wait to discover all the different ways my plants can fruit.

Seriously though, while Mims doesn’t seem particularly revolutionary, it looks like a fairly deep, personality rich god game revival. Given that good god games are in woefully short supply these days, we should probably count our blessings here. Well, hopefully. The Mims is currently in beta, and you can hop right in if you throw $29 or more at the game’s Indiegogo campaign. Not really an “aw, why not?” price, so maybe just wait until the game’s “early 2014″ release date.

Mims is already funded, and it’s well on its way to completion. Given that Godus is sort of abysmal and Reus didn’t live up to the hype, I’ve got high hopes for this one. Maybe they’re misplaced, but hoping is all I can really do at this point. That’s faith for you, I guess.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BTAxis says:

I like “Simulation of God”. Take that, God, who needs you when we can simulate you now.

• Firkragg says:

But if we could simulate God, a being with a perfect conscious, then we’d finally have a mind who could declare conclusively what right and wrong is! Wow-eee! Bye outdated categorical imperative!

• Soman1979 says:

my best friend’s step-aunt makes $84 hourly on the internet . She has been fired from work for 8 months but last month her paycheck was $12353 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this…….

2. Wang Tang says:

I still have a lot of faith in Godus, as it’s not even half-finished but already shows much promise.
    That said, this game looks quite good, the only concern I have is the _really_ low IndieGogo goal. 5500 USD? How will they fund development with that, even if it’s in its final stage?

Harlander says:

Guess it’s just a bit of top-up funding to get them over the final hurdle? I’unno

• squattingpenguins says:

Hi , I am only one graphic designer from Squatting Penguins Team and I’m 21 years old. We are making The Mims Beginning.
        We are just 3 people team and only 2 of us (Programmer and me) are working all the Time on The Mims Beginning.

Yes we need money for last stage of development. For finish level design, make more random future events (earthquakes, fruit rains,tornado etc.) and more other small and big feature and polish game :)
        I’ m so happy that Rock Paper shotgun noticed us , because We have got no funds even for marketing so We are making promotion alone. Now we are trying to reach Survival Game mode stretch goal.

Cheers
        Jakub (Kuba)

• ncnavguy says:

That sounds awesome Jakub, and it is cool that Rock Paper Shotgun got you guys featured as I had no idea about this game but it looks like just the type I would love to play with my wife. Have you guys thought about trying to get featured on Steam for Early Access game?

• squattingpenguins says:

Hi !
            We are on 22th place on steam so we hope to be greenlight soon :) (next batch maybe?)
            You could buy access to newest betas version on indiegogo and access to our special forum :) We’ll also share beta demo for everyone for about 1,5 week, But if you will buy beta access you get access to newest beta version right now and about 2-3 big actualization before release, and you will get special forum Rank and you’ll have got biggest influence on final game. it’s 29$ perk ( Win, Mac, Linux of course)

Yes we are also very happy that Rock paper Shotgun noticed us , It is amazing !
            It’s sad that Indiegogo isn’t like kicstarter where press is looking for newest project all the time. But we aren’t citizens of GB or US and we can’t start project there. but never mind :)

Now we are so so happy that we reached our goal and we could finish our game it is amazing. We are also open for questions and ideas on our fanpage https://www.facebook.com/mimsthegame
            or forum MIMS FORUM HERE

3. sventoby says:

I still don’t think I’ve fully recovered from the disappointment of Spore.

lowprices says:

The phrase “Cute as the Dickens” originated from 1886, when Queen Victoria developed a very public crush on Charles Dickens after a particularly coquettish public reading of ‘Bleak House’. After that, any time government officials wanted to direct the Queen’s attention to anything, they would compare it favourably to the writer, E.G. “This bill regarding public sanitation legislation is cute as the Dickens”.

5. lord0o says:

You dare to compare this with Black & White saga?….Not even close.

Tkrens says:

You say that as if Black and White was this really amazing thing. It was unique, certainly. But I’ve always felt that both games never reached their full potential. They were good, sure. But not quite godly.

• sPOONz says:

I agree, the first had lots of potential but lacked depth. I remember wishing I could nurture my villagers and their surrounding landscape as if they were some grand tamagotchi. The second game i just wished I’d kept my receipt.

skalpadda says:

Using fruit as a verb is entirely fine and proper.

7. Ergates_Antius says:

” different ways of fruiting”
    It’s actually wrong. For reference, the mushroom bit of a mushroom is known as the “fruiting body”

JamesTheNumberless says:

Rifghtly or wrongly this reminds me of Startopia

9. NathanH says:

Is a god game that takes a lot from Populous asking for trouble a bit by using the :beginning subtitle?

lowprices says:

It will be when King.com releases Candy Crush Saga: The Beginning.

10. Mud says: