Rogue Footage Of Age Of Wonders III

By Craig Pearson on January 23rd, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

IMAGE DESCRIPTION
Actually, that should be “Footage Of Age Wonders III‘s Rogue Leader”. I was trying to be cool, and now I’ve backed myself into a corner. Help me out by shaking your monitor around as you watch this short trailer for the fantasy strategy game’s Rogue class. It will make it appear as if the footage was roguishly taken.

I think this is new ground for AoW: it was just Wizards and Kings before, no? Now there’s Rogues (and Druids, Priests, Warriors and Engineers) vying for dominion over the land. This look at the Rogue frankly makes the class out to be something of a fantasy Tony Soprano. The blurb:

Rogue Lords are masters of stealth, manipulation and theft. Any foolish citizen who makes trouble, disappears without a whisper in the middle of the night. Rogues employ charm, poison, assassinations, and the magic of the shadows to appease their subjects and manipulate rival leaders. Rogues have two faces: one they wear in public, while the other is a ruthless schemer behind closed doors, directing sinister forces that wait in shadow for the perfect moment to strike.

One of his skills is “Sadism”, which gives troops a morale boost for every kill they make. And what’s this? “Plague of brigands” sends a group into a city to attack everything on sight, causing the population to “suffer a happiness penalty.” These are awful things for someone to do, especially if they’re leading a unicorn into battle.

The myth ‘em up’s 12 year absence will be ending sometime in 2014

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Darth Gangrel says:

Lol, “IMAGE DESCRIPTION”, that’s a fun image caption. The first time I’ve seen that one as well.

2. kikito says:

Draconian succubi have scales, dwarven succubi have beards. There you go.

3. Snargelfargen says:

The rogue hero is rather reminiscent of Disciples, if anybody remembers those games.

• Horg says:

”Bearded dwarven succubi and what appears to be a corseted goblin? I’m not sure how to feel about that.”

In traditional fantasy style, roll a D6:

6 – Critical success, take a cold shower
      4-5 – mildly titillated
      2-3 – apathetic
      1 – critical failure, only ethereal beings do it for you

• SillyWizard says:

I’m still waiting for a proper Disciples II follow-up. Such a delightful game. I purchased D3 (and its expansion) mostly in hopes that if the thing were successful someone would notice and make another stab at doing the game right. :(

That said, it’s hard not to be intrigued by the possibility of sending bearded sex-dwarves at your enemy, only to swamp him with hired brigands while he’s otherwise, erm, occupied….

• Dreforian says:

This definitely had a more Disciples II feel with Age of Wonders styling. Looks like they are moving toward predefined classes on top of race to differentiate heroes instead of building a hero through initial perks and research. This looks like what Disciples 3 could have been.

4. tobecooper says:

Someone at RPS towers really has to play these old Age of Wonders games.
    They are still great and you guys absolutely missed out.

5. Wulfram says:

I think you could build a rogue themed leader in AoW1. IIRC that was classless, and there were a whole bunch of abilities to pick up.

I loved AoW1, but never got into the sequel.

• cpt_freakout says:

Everyone who loved AoW 1 but never got into 2 also loved Shadow Magic, so maybe you should give that a shot, since it’s stand-alone. As for heroes, yeah, you could build a rogue, but they were still ‘only’ heroes, which is to say super-units. AoW 2 developed the ‘head of state’ idea a bit more via the wizards, but the only real function they had as such was territorial, the extent to which you could use their magic. It seems like now heroes do actually have more of a head of state feel to them, which is why to me at least it sounds very exciting.

6. Stepout says:

I’ve been playing random maps in Shadow Magic over and over lately. Can’t wait to do the same in this!

7. DatonKallandor says:

“This look at the Rogue frankly makes the class out to be something of a fantasy Tony Soprano.”
    Gaddafi really. That’s what they’ve compared Rogues to – Fantasy Gaddafi. They are still a head of state, but they’re a crazy megalomaniac shady nutcase head of state.

• pepperfez says:

Gaddafi really was the model villainous leader – we’ll not see his like again. If the Rogue can carry off the same level of demented panache, it’ll be a triumph.

• DatonKallandor says:

The measure of a great villainous leader is “would he be out of place as a Bond Villain?”. Gaddafi aced that test.

8. sPOONz says:

Ohhhh, this looks great. I have heard of the series but never played them. If the reviews are good I’m buying!

9. Over says:

I want to play an athathin in Age of Wonder Sree.

Comment on this story