The Future Of DayZ Isn’t Hazy

By Craig Pearson on January 23rd, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

How we roll.
Of all the things for DayZ to be inspired by, I didn’t think it would be the 1947 song “Buttons and Bows”. But according to zombie master Dean Hall’s RedditAMA, DayZ’s eventual future will include bows, throwable weapons, and more zombies. Bows, people. Bows. Oh, wait. And arrows. That makes more sense.

There is a running joke on RPS that I don’t play games. The truth is I’ll play any game with a bow and arrow in it. I’m already playing DayZ, but the reveal still excites me. It’s part of the game’s long tail, though, and a lot of stuff will have to come before it happens. Hall notes: “The plan is to increase the difficulty significantly as new functionality comes online (such as throwing and improvised weapons, hunting, bow and arrow, etc…”

At last, a chance to role-play as Cupid! I can stop pretending to be Sonic The Hedgehog.

He also points out that the players will have more of an impact on the world, returning camping and vehicles to the standalone game, as well as introducing bases: “This kind of endgame stuff is quite key to what we want to do. However, in order to do this we have to perfect the architecture which is what we are doing now. Certainly I think underground bases and advanced vehicles will allow some of this really exciting and ‘Eve’ style play.”

“We have a plan for camping. Playing that mod for Skyrim (survival mod, forget its name) is a GREAT inspiration and I hope we can do everything it has.”

As one of life’s happy wanderers, I was happy to read that I can camp because the world will be getting more interesting: “We already have streams. We want to do Skyrim style rivers, and they are relatively straightforward for us to do. We’ll just need time.”

There’s more in that question and answer pile-up if you’re interested in Dean’s plans to not die anytime soon, console and Linux plans, and performance issues (which I don’t really have, so I’m not going to comment on). You’ll have to delve deep into the thread, or you could always just click here.

, , , .

1. khomotso says:

Is there an advent calendar of DayZ posts going on?

• Soman1979 says:

my best friend’s step-aunt makes $84 hourly on the internet . She has been fired from work for 8 months but last month her paycheck was $12353 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this…….

• DestroyYourEgo says:

Lol- you’d think so. The only thing i can reckon is it’s a slooooowwwww news month, so they have nothing better to talk about. I, for one, am over DayZ. If I wanted to learn more, I’d visit their page. EVERY PC gaming site is bogged down with DayZ articles every other hour. It’s not that great a game….

• Leb says:

It’s getting a tad out of hand.. PC Gamer is particularly gag worthy.. with sometimes 2-3 DayZ “articles” per day.

Dean Hall aka Rocket makes a forum post and it becomes news

• P7uen says:

If I wanted to learn more, I’d visit their page.

Me too, although now that I’m interested in lots of PC games it’s getting quite arduous to keep up to date on all of them.

If only there was some sort of website that would cover all of that kind of news in one place for me.

2. Moraven says:

So a lot of promises and probably it will take forever for a fraction of them to happen if at all.

Is this 2013?

I missed the AMA to ask why they did not put in Minecraft like alpha pricing.

• Sutoi says:

You bought an alpha. You did not buy a finished, comfortable game. Nobody made you. They couldn’t have been more clear with telling you that it is incomplete, full of bugs, and going to be for quite some time. What is this entitlement? If you need a complete experience, then don’t buy games that are still in development :/ They certainly owe you nothing.

• LawL4Ever says:

You do realize they did put in Minecraft-like alpha pricing, right? It’s just a little more expensive, but that’s to be expected since the team working behind it is quite a bit larger. But the price will rise for Beta and Release.

MajorManiac says:

Now I can’t stop thinking of an Elderscrolls-like game in the Arma engine.

Imagine the multiplayer and huge battles. :)

• hamilcarp says:

That wouldn’t make much sense. The Arma engine is built for ballistics simulations, anyone who’s played 5 minutes of DayZ knows that it’s not ideal for melee combat.

• Darth Grabass says:

The Arma engine might be the worst thing about DayZ. Great for playing Arma, I guess, but the more Hall talks about his plans for DayZ, the more it sounds like he picked the wrong game to mod.

Bows (and arrows) sound great, but only in a world where there aren’t military bases full of modern firearms lying around. Guns and ammo (and working vehicles) need to be extremely rare in order to make the type of environment that these guys keep talking about. The further they get away from Arma, the better.

Stellar Duck says:

In the AMA he said just that: that as the bows and stuff go in there the drop rate on army gear will lower making them super rare.

As for the Arma engine being the worst thing about DayZ I very much do not agree. I think it’s the best part about it.

• Alfius says:

I’d also like to see a much wider variety of civilian firearms, from air rifles up to high calibre hunting rifles, and that they should be the staple armaments for most with the military grade stuff increasingly rare.

Mid level Eastern mil loot should be confined to bases and checkpoints and Western gear should only be found at procedurally spawned crash sites and such.

4. tormos says:

DARK SOULS HAS A BOW AND ARROW IN IT YOU BASTARD

Chaz says:

Why not just make a DayZ mod for Skyrim?

6. Fox89 says:

Skyrim camping.
    Skyrim streams.
    Skyrim bows.
    Skyrim arrows.

Skyrim dragons? Zombie dragons? Get to it Mr. Hall.

AndrewC says:

What is the Skyrim survival mod of which he speaks?

• flyingbears says:

I do believe he is talking about the frostfall mod.
      I strongly recommend any skyrim player to check it out.

8. Syra says:

ffs can he stop dreaming up random features and running away with his imagination and jsut ship ONE finished product, free of bugs and stupid mechanics and unimplemented features. I got the standalone recently ands its just the mod reskinned and with even more problems, thanks to all the new mechanics.

9. bladedsmoke says:

Zomboid be better yo.

10. Shooop says:

Still just a FFA deathmatch with a handful of survival game elements haphazardly thrown in.

Amazing how well a brand name can rile up so much hype.

11. racccoon says:

I know i been a critic of this early alpha only because truthfully it should of stayed away until it was worker-able.
    I do play it. get kind of bored of the char resets and starting again though.
    I think get on and make a totally new game, change of engine and get using every element that we can use as normal human beings if we were able to survive .
    Leave this alpha to us, let us play the crap out of it, but make a new brake into realism DEAN HALL.