It Didn’t Dragon: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Funded

By Craig Pearson on January 24th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

*Police Squad music*
Nathan’s excitement over Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a realistic open-world medieval RPG, has translated to Kickstarter success. The project is now funded, defeating the dragon (£300,000 funding target) with a swinging blow after only three days. With 27 days still remaining, they might be able to buy their own castle.

I’ve had a busy week, so this is actually the first time I’ve looked at Kingdom Come. I can see why people are tossing money their way, but I really hope some of it is spent on better voice actors. I wonder if there’s call for a sort of targeted Kickstarter, where you can specify how much of your money is spent on different parts of the game? John would hate it, but I’d definitely be buying into the VO budget and emailing the developers IMDB pages of reliable old English actors. I’ll bet a few actors from ‘Allo ‘Allo could do this sort of thing without breaking a sweat.

A quick look at the spread of payments shows that seven of the 10 top tier (£1200) packages have been sold, and all 50 of the £600 level pledges (the one where you get a sword) are now gone. Did you pledge? And are you now preparing a spot on your wall for sword?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

Top comments

1. PlKupo says:

Allo Allo is fantastic. And yes, getting Herr Flick to voice some arrogant knights would be hilarious. “Go avvvay, you filthy peasants!”

1. BobbyDylan says:

I had the same thought on the Voice actors.

2. Dogsbody says:

man, they’d better add some 3rd person in there. 1st person hand to hand combat is dumb as rocks.

• Demolitionist says:

Oh man, I love first person melee combat, if it’s done right. Better for immersion and being able to see people running up behind your character is cheating.

• derbefrier says:

Same here man. Its like none of these people have ever played dark mesiah of might and magic. I didn’t pledge cause I don’t do kickstarter but if this game turns out as awesome as it sounds it will be a day one buy.

• Demolitionist says:

Dark Messiah FTW. It’s still one of my favorite games of all time. The mechanics were great, but what set that game apart for me was the camera work. They really seemed to capture the feeling of looking through your character’s eyes. Incredible game.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I always loved the part with the orcs. Kicking them over the cliffs was awesome.

• Geen says:

Man, that game had a godawful story, but hell if it wasn’t fun. The boot is still one of my favorite weapons in a game of all time.

• Christo4 says:

Yeah 3rd person sucks especially when it’s Mp like Chivalry. those fkers can just turn 360 degrees if you have it on as opposed as first person and can see if anyone is behind them

• hungrycookpot says:

My standard argument is that in a real life scenario, you’d have a much better kinematic sense, and know the placement of your body without having to look down at yourself.

Also, you’d be able to hear and sense people coming up behind you, and most importantly, humans have a much wider peripheral vision than you have playing a first person game. Not to mention we have the ability to turn our heads and see what is almost directly behind us, in a split second, without turning our entire bodies 180 degrees to face in that direction.

To me, first person melee feels like I’m fighting in one of those old-timey diving suits.

• Hanban says:

I’m not sure, but in full armor with the battle raging all around you, do you not think it might be a little trick ty maintain this spatial awareness?

• Slight0 says:

Unless your helmet is restricting you fov, no. Your peripherals combined with audio cues are huge advantages that you simply don’t have when playing FPS games.

• greywolf00 says:

This is the deal breaker for me too. I absolutely hate First Person RPGs, they take away from immersion for me and the controls always feel off.

• The_Hunter says:

How does first person take AWAY from your immersion?

• Demolitionist says:

I always imagine people that make this argument using an elaborate VR rig with a harness that suspends a camera up and behind them IRL. Same with people that play driving games in third person. I imagine them driving their real car from a seat fastened to the roof.

• wodin says:

Now with a Car game I really want to be in the seat in the cockpit, same with say a Space Sim. It’s only fantasy type RPG’s I prefer third person.

• hungrycookpot says:

Dunno about you, but in real life, I can feel my body, and have a sense of speed and movement beyond just watching my surroundings move past me.

Also, irl I can see people standing directly adjacent to me, and notice people standing even further out of my field of vision. I’m also able to turn my head and look at them without reorienting my entire body to face them.

• Entitled says:

It takes away your peripheral vision, as if you were looking though a 25° window floating in front of your character’s face.

• Mondaik says:

Increase your FOV and stop playing console games.

• Koozer says:

If you increase your FoV to what a normal human’s peripheral vision can see, you end up with horrendous fisheye and a headache. It might work if your monitor was glued to the end of your nose.

• wodin says:

Funny enough I find with third person I get into more than first person esp in fantasy games, where online shooter like Red orchestra it has to be first person!

I’m sure most get into first person view over third..but not me. I also like be able to see the combat better, take that recent middle earth game trailer I really got into that sort of combat gameplay similar to Batman combat mechanics.

• greywolf00 says:

I like to see the character I’m playing and how different pieces of gear change the appearance. Much prefer to watch them move through the world as opposed to two random hands doing something from time to time. The FOV is much more realistic, FP lacks peripheral vision which annoys me to no end. Also, the combat always feels awkward and I can’t quite place why, maybe the depth is just different compared to 3rd person or a combination of missing part of an attack animation.

• El_Emmental says:

1) They made a whole new first-person melee combat system entirely based on inverse kinematics. Throwing it out would be silly.

2) They mentioned they could add a third-person view, when they will have the time or if the people really ask for it.

3) They plan on supporting VR kits like the Oculus Rift, making a first-person view much more valuable.

4) They plan to make the game very open to modding, allowing anyone to add a third-person view if enough people want it.

3. araczynski says:

tempting, but to get the full game (all 3 acts) seems you have to spend a crazy amount, or otherwise pay for DLC i suppose. in any case, don’t like their tiers, so passing.

• Vandelay says:

Calling these acts was a mistake, I think. The first act is meant to last approx. 30 hours, which is impressive for something so focused on story and what looks to be a lot of attention to detail. Each act is meant to be a similar length and taking place on different similarly sized maps (old locations and quests will still be accessible though,) so you are looking at three games really.

To cap that off, the RPS interview the other day said each game will likely retail for about $35, so it is pretty reasonable price for something as substantial as this appears to be.

• araczynski says:

retail…but like it or not, it will be under $10 for all 3 acts a year or two on steam during xmas. i realize this is for FUNDING not a purchase, but at the same time they said they’re asking for 10% to show their backer that there’s interest, they’re not looking to make the whole game with kickstarter funding. they got interest covered to appease their investor, so i see little point in doing anything other than letting the market dynamics play out as usual.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

That’s one of the huge Kickstarter mistakes I still see being made all the time, mostly in tabletop RPG projects. You really need to have one of your lowest tiers be the complete (digital) package. Don’t confuse people, don’t make them think that they’re missing out on important stuff, don’t make them read through a bunch of pointless lower tiers that nobody wants. Just give me an attractive option at around $30 or less, and make it the second or third one from the top.

Sometimes this is just a matter of changing the wording, but sometimes they really have split up the product in fundamentally stupid ways. In this case they could’ve made it clear that they were Kickstarting the first installment of a series, and left it at that.

• araczynski says:

agree completely, there’s usually way too many stupid tiers in these things that don’t offer anything but a wall of text and trinkets. make a case, ask for support, offer the game in return, and STFU with the trinkets already.

• DarkFenix says:

Yeah that alarmed me nearly to the point of leaving the page immediately. Their wording implies you’ll only get part of a complete game for your money. Fortunately for them I was inclined to read further into it, but I shouldn’t have ever been given that impression to start with.

• El_Emmental says:

It was a mistake to label it as “Act I” (the Act II and Act III are actually going to be standalone “expansion packs”), you really shouldn’t pass on it just because of that.

Why ?
      => They explained the Act I is actually the “first” game of a trilogy = 30 hours of main quests, large map, plenty of castles/villages.

Why do they only promised the Act II and Act III in the highest tiers ?
      => They are not 100% certain about how the Act I project will turn out, and how the Kickstarter campaign will go.
      They promised it to higher tiers as a special “Thank you” to these people, but as they indicated it on the KS page, it’s more a “100% discount card” than a pre-order (like for the Act I).

If things are going bad (their investors leave them, the Kickstarter campaign barely works – apparently, it’s very unlikely such thing would happen), they perfectly know it would be a lie to promise to make the Act II and Act III (the sequels), when they are not sure they will have the funds to make it on time and with a proper quality.

This is why they prefer to only promise what they can actually provide, rather than promising the moon and not being able to deliver it.

Paying $24 / 18€ / £15 to get an epic 30-hours medieval RPG is a fair deal in my opinion.

TL;DR: Act I is the FULL first game of a planned trilogy. The Kickstarter is about THAT first game, not about the second and third games.

4. Vandelay says:

I pledged. Not silly sword earning amounts, but a respectable £25.

I am a little sceptical on the combat, as it sounded a little button mashy from the preview the other day, but the rest sounds sublime.

5. serioussgtstu says:

I don’t see anything on their Kickstarter page at the moment, but I think Warhorse said on Facebook or Twitter that they would be adding stretch goals, which is fairly unnecessary considering that this campaigns only purpose is to show their investor that this project has legs. Since they’ve proven their point by having a successful campaign, what more could they add to an already incredibly ambitious RPG besides, as Craig said; hiring better voice actors or getting an orchestra for the soundtrack?

I’d hate to see them start adding pointless extras like more cities, or some bullshit features which weren’t in their original design for the game.

6. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Here’s hoping they try to make the game they thought they could make with with 300,000 and not go nuts adding things and causing unnecessary feature creep.

• Darth Grabass says:

They never planned on making the game with just 300,000. The Kickstarter goal represents 10% of their projected budget. An investor is making up the other 90%.

7. SupahSpankeh says:

Romance is awesome.

Sex is awesome.

Games are awesome.

Romantic sex games are shit.

EDIT: thanks RPS, this got posted in the wrong place. I’m leaving it here though, because context is for the weak.

• Grygus says:

Your misplacement is a meta-commentary on how out of place these romantic narratives are in our games about shooting problems in the face.

8. khomotso says:

I pledged a bit, just to support the idea of an RPG being out there that wasn’t magical or sci-fi. The rest of the game, though – counter-immersive first-person combat tailored to console controllers, in particular, and what strikes me as a cynical use of Kickstarter (to demonstrate player enthusiasm to Daddy Warbucks) – leaves me a little cold. So now that it’s crossed its threshold with room to spare, and will actually become a thing, I think I’ll go and remove my pledge, but wish it well.

9. Shooop says:

As there hasn’t been a single medieval combat game worth a damn since Blade of Darkness I’m not holding much hopes for this. Especially not another Kickstarter game which are becoming notorious for being letdowns if they manage to get finished..

10. PlKupo says:

11. Text_Fish says:

You have to spend £125 to get both “acts”? Seems a little steep!

It does look like a good game though. I hope the NPC’s are realistically superstitious despite the dragon-free world design.

• Eggman says:

You can just pledge for the first act (15£) and wait for 2nd and 3rd to be released at their regular pricing. (Which will be much less than 110£).

• El_Emmental says:

The “Act I” is the complete (30 hours of main quests) first game of the planned trilogy.

The Act II and Act III games are only promised (through a “100% discount if it’s ever made”) to the highest tiers as a special “thank you”.

Like Eggman said, the Act II and III will very likely be available for pre-orders (when their development are confirmed) and I wouldn’t be surprised if it features some kind of discount for the Act I owners.

Quote from the KS page :
      Acts II & III: You will be able to download Act II or II & III of Kingdom Come: Deliverance if and when they are released. We assume that it will take us nine months to develop Act II and further nine months for Act III.
      Please note that we cannot guarantee developing these Acts; while it is our best intention to do so at this moment, circumstances beyond our control may force us to alter our plans.

12. Continuity says:

Is it me or does this game sound WAY too good to be true? Sandbox RPG with massive scale battles and sieges, branching quest/dialogue trees, how many fucking layers of clothing?? cryengine graphics that look good enough to be AAA and all from an indie funded on kickstarter?

I’m not sure I’d believe all that if it was coming from a AAA publisher. Either they have a load of super talented people who are working for next to nothing, or this is bullshit.

• Eggman says:

They’re an indie but it’s still a studio of veterans from Mafia, Arma, Op:flashpoint. And most of their funding is coming from a private investor, millions of dollars.

And of course if it’s cryengine, the graphics are going to look good.

• John Kimble says:

Sounds like bullshit. Let’s do the math: 300k they asked on Kickstarter is 10%, so 100% is 3m$. They want to create an uber ambitious RPG game with the budget of 3m$ ? Yeah, they must be living in another world or something.

• basilisk says:

It’s in pounds, not dollars. But yeah, that is still way too low for what they’re promising.

• El_Emmental says:

They explain all that on their devblog.

1) A Czech studio cost a fraction of an equivalent one in the US, the cost of living and taxes are much lower.

2) They also follow a different game development management: again, as mentioned on the blog they’re only 30-35 at the moment, plan to stop at 75 developers.

Why ? They want to avoid the typical error of management, which is hiring more and more people to “play it safe”, but instead creating conflicts and diluting personal responsibilities. Having 150, 200 or even 300 developers is becoming the norm for AAA (in terms of production quality) games.

The blog entry on the developers’ blog regarding that isn’t some random BS pulled out of his ass: he’s got decades of experience in the industry, and that specific problem with software development was studied and written about years ago, back in the 80s/90s. Experiments and development reports were done, and concluded on the inevitable failure of scaling up development teams.

You can read up about all that stuff on Joel Spolsky’s blog ( http://www.joelonsoftware.com/ ) and of course go directly at the source: “Peopleware: Productive Projects” (Tom DeMarco, Timothy Lister) ( http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Second-Edition/dp/0932633439 )

13. willardmcass says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site…..

14. ralphdlough says:

15. exoslav says:

Hello, I am czech archaeologist and I would like to offer you an interesting fanclub facebook page to visit :) Its nice to see reconstruction of some parts of our history :) I would like to add some news and interests about the game as often as I can :) The site is in english ;-) There will be also website about the game in the future.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/kingdomcomewarhorse

16. thrawn says:

That’s nothing, my father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate makes $357.43 per hour o the computer for playing his favorite video games. Find out more at http://www.snopes.com/fraud/employment/google.asp

17. doodadnox says:

If your neighbor’s step aunt had started a kickstarter for a sweet medieval RPG she could have made $300,000 in 3 days.

Comment on this story