Paradox ‘Dream RPG’ Runemaster Looks Like Quite A Thing

By Nathan Grayson on January 24th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Someday, Simba, you will rule over this land in my stead hey want to go burn down that town over there

Paradox Con 2014 is in full-swing, and Adam is in Miami gathering up every piece of information he can while dodging the coked up Justin Biebers that roam the city’s balmy sands. He will have tons of news for you soon, but for now I’ll be your burly, beardy guide into the Norse-mythology-inspired world of Runemaster. It’ll be a turn-based Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic-esque affair with procedurally generated worlds and quests. Why yes, headline, that does sound like “quite a thing.” I’m glad we agree, you charmer, you.

Not really much of substance in that trailer, but this burbling blurb should at least get some of your saliva-producing glands nice and slippery:

“Runemaster is an RPG set in a fantasy realm based in the rich, majestic traditions of Norse mythology, casting each player in the role of a unique champion in a time of chaotic upheaval. Procedural maps and quests will ensure that no two playthroughs are identical, allowing players to tell a saga that is uniquely their own. Explore vast vistas through the six worlds of Norse myth, command troops in tactical combat, and define your champion through the choices they make.”

Iconic locations like Midgard will be present, and you’ll get to either prevent or cause Ragnarok, which is pretty much the Norse apocalypse in addition to being a middling yet bewilderingly popular MMO.

Interestingly, Runemaster is coming from Paradox Development Studio, aka the one wot does all the grand strategy games in the whole wide world. This is well outside their wheelhouse, so I’m quite excited to see what comes of it. A fantasy role-player with a grand strategy pedigree? Color me intrigued, if nothing else.

Paradox hasn’t said a whole lot beyond that as of now, but you can sign up for news on the game’s website. Anyway, headline just asked me out on a date, so I’ve got to go get ready. Ta!

, , .

1. Premium User Badge Wowbagger says:

This should be called RuneSaga me thinks.

2. Premium User Badge amateurviking says:

Was sold as soon as the music started.

• Mattressi says:

Wow, that was great! I had my sound off the first time so I didn’t realise until your comment. Now I’m sold :D

3. BobbyDylan says:

Paradox and CD Projekt. MY 2 favorite Devs.

4. SkittleDiddler says:

Forest Explorer 2014?

5. GamesInquirer says:

A more serious King’s Bounty then (not really Heroes of Might & Magic if the focus isn’t strategy)? Cool.

6. Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Comes an epic RPG forged in the realm of magic and mystery” – Considering programming as “magic” is soooooooooooooooo ’90s.

• The Random One says:

The realm of magic and mystery is a notorious tax haven.

7. Brinx says:

So this is the Clausewitz engine, too, right?
    Amazing to see, what it is capable of.

• Triplanetary says:

Sure is. In the lead-up to the reveal, Paradox did a series of hints on their forums every day for six days or so, and one of the hints was “Clausewitz as you never thought possible.”

8. Gothnak says:

I know everyone hates CCGs at the moment, but i just want a game like this which uses cards to fight… Like the old Etherlords 1 & 2 and MTG:Shandalar, all of which i have played to death multiple times. For example, taking Hearthstone and having you fight AI opponents and collect cards as you travel rather than paying to open boosters.

I don’t need another King’s Bounty (Great)/Heroes Of Might And Magic (Good)/Fallen Enchantress (Pants)/Age Of Wonders (awesome)/That one on floating planets (ok), as they are covered by good games already.

I ended up watching that game and thinking, looks interesting, procedurely generated, cool, but i expect Age of Wonders will be better.

9. Wulfram says:

Vikings are the new Zombies?
    Can Midgard be iconic? Isn’t it basically the world?

But I quite like the idea.

• skalpadda says:

I’m hoping a Viking game made by actual Scandinavians might be a bit more nuanced than the usual “BURLY MEN WITH HORNS ONNA HEAD WOT FIGHT A LOT”-fare we tend to get out of the rest of the world.

• Ich Will says:

Where did horns on the head even come from – I don’t understand why people would ever believe that the finest warriors from arguably the most successful civilisation in history would wear something so impractical.

• grimdanfango says:

From the same place where all pirates speak like westcountry farmers, all bad guys have british accents, and all automobiles spontaneously burst into flame.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

I didn’t know that Hollywood was in Europe!

• Premium User Badge Martel says:

We all know the truth that it’s really all people with british accents are bad guys

• Sidewinder says:

The belief that Norsemen wore horned helmets comes from the surviving Norse horned helmets. They most certainly did wear them, just not into battle. You wouldn’t charge into combat on roller skates; that doesn’t mean they didn’t exist.

• slerbal says:

Er, that is not actually correct. There is only one helmet ever found with horns (from a dig in Denmark) and that was clearly ceremonial. They wore a variety of helmets but from the archaeological finds most were of a similar style to the Saxons. Many were manufactured in the Holy Roman Empire in places like Cologne. The perception of Vikings wearing horned helmets (and indeed the generic term of Viking) are all products of Victorian Romanticism rather than fact. Horns were for drinking from, not wearing.

• Mattressi says:

Just a small note: the dig in Denmark that slerbal refers to was actually two digs which found horned helmets – both from between 1000 BC and 500 BC (long before the Vikings). The horned helmet myth seems to be some people mixing Bronze Age norse ceremonies with Iron/Viking Age history. The closest the Vikings seemingly ever got to horned helmets were depictions of Thor (and sometimes pictures of other people) with winged helmets – though there is no evidence that there ever were real winged helmets.

• DonJefe says:

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that it came from an early 20th century rendition of Wagnar’s “Der Ring des Nibelungen” where the Valkyries wore horned helmets?

10. wodin says:

Wish they did something with the Squad leader rights..sitting on them for years is criminal!! PC ASL. Yes please.

11. Premium User Badge Samuel Erikson says:

I rather hope this is more influenced by Hammer of the Gods than Heroes of Might & Magic. The latter never lived up to the promise of the former.

12. Noviere says:

How HoMM-y is this? From what little I’ve heard, the combat is turn-based in a HoMM fashion, but the open world stuff is all real time.

Anyway, very excited to see Paradox branching out. The more RPGs the better :)

13. ersetzen says:

I like pretty much anything that comes from paradox, and they tend to welcome some less standard games. So yeah, these blurps already look quite interesting! We’ll see what comes from it.

Speaking of Paradox, they will show their new (and as of yet secret) gamemode for Magicka Wizard Wars there as well. Gonna be today at 10 pm GMT, I believe, and gonna be streamed on their Twitch channel. But all this is only from some small press release and teasing on their forum, though.

14. Spoony_Bart says:

Wouldn’t mind at all if this turned out to be similar to Expeditions: Conquistador.

15. djim says:

Looks more like Kings Bounty than HOMM. More so because it is an RPG, not a Strategy

16. BTAxis says:

“Each player”? Does that mean no singleplayer? That would be a real shame.

17. v21v21v21 says:

What makes me a bit uneasy about this is the number of unplayable now forgotten games previously released “From the Creators of CK and EU”…

• Premium User Badge Peptidix says:

Such as?

Admittedly the publishing arm has taken a few too many chances, but the development studio itself has been mostly consistent. Especially after Diplomacy :p

18. fdisk says:

Wait…what?

I’m in Miami, is this a thing I can go to?

19. Bobtree says:

Having nothing but aerial shots makes this look like an RTS engine promo.

20. CookPassBabtridge says:

Ahhh god. This is like when you notice a noise in the background that no one else has noticed, and it starts irritating the crap out of you but no one else has noticed it and they get all shirty with you when you become irritable and and and siiiggghhhhhh.

OK I’m probably the only one annoyed by it, but why are there so many bloody fantasy ye-olde swordfightey magico-beard growing RPG’s coming out right now? I feel positively flooded by castles and armour and wizards and crafting and sword sharpening and pestles and mortars and queens and HOO HAA HAGH hairy man voices and I’ve forgotten which is which. I’m sure this will be great but my grumpy pants are firmly on and shouting “good lord it appears they want to remake skyrim”. Haven’t we already been here billionty and three times already?

John Walker’s Jelly Gun. STILL WAITING.

21. Morte66 says:

Procedurally generated quests.

This is going to be a *really* shit game.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Is that like the Skyrim Radiant Quest thing, that endlessly generated macguffins in caves to be retrieved for gentlemen in taverns?

• The Random One says:

That’s an example of procedurally generated quests. I imagine procedurally generated quests that are actually interesting are still theoretically possible.

• Shooop says:

Oh good, someone else understands the limitations of the system and isn’t just drooling over the buzzword.

So much for an engaging story.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I’m sure MacGuffEngine 1.0 will be a roaring success

• Shooop says:

Have you not played Skyrim before? It’s already a smashing success!

22. Shooop says:

procedurally generated worlds and quests

So no deep, engaging story to give those worlds and quests purpose then. Or the extent of their procedural generation will be “a few trees on the left instead of the right and the mystical sword is found in the cave to the north instead of the west next time you play”.

This procedurally generated fad needs to die fast and painfully for any game that requires a story to work.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Why would it need an engaging story to “work”?

• Shooop says:

Story is sort of the main point of a RPG, the thing that gives it a purpose, much more so than any other type of game.

I can’t imagine anyone would have actually liked Planescape Torment at all if it didn’t have such a good story and writing.

23. Geebs says:

Is anybody else a bit tired of the universal RPS expression of coy approval being that something is a “thing”. Couldn’t you guys inject a bit of wild passion and refer to things as “nice” or something?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I’m an extremely irritable person but have not yet become irritated by this habit. I may start noticing it now you have pointed it out though, so thanks for that. I can add it to my list of stuff to get irritated over, like my workmate’s farts, the noisy fuckwits who live above me, narcissism, self delusion and celebrity-and-status-worship-as-replacement-in-human-psyche-for-religion

• The Random One says:

They did say it was quite a thing!

24. Noburu says:

Dat alt text on the picture.