Pure Delight: The Floor Is Jelly

By Nathan Grayson on January 24th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Screenshots really, really, really don't do this one justice. Go watch the video. It's incredible.

Oh jeez. Every single aspect of The Floor Is Jelly looks entirely too adorable. It’s also one of those rare instances where a game’s title describes precisely what it’s about instead of obfuscating everything with words like “Reckoning,” “Ops,” and “Saga Sagaaaaa SAGA neener-neener-neener, King.com.” No matter where you end up – in a forest, underground, rooting through somebody’s kitchen – the floor is made of jelly. You can’t stop bouncing. But then, honestly, why would you ever want to?

Unsurprisingly, The Floor Is Jelly is about the floor being jelly. So said developer Ian Snyder:

“Who hasn’t dreamt, at some point, of filling a pool full of jello and swimming in it? In some of us, that dream never died. Some of us kept dreaming: what if the whole street was jello? Or the continent? The world!? The Floor is Jelly posits a universe made of jello, made purely for one’s own amusement. No longer need we look to our walls and our floors and sigh, ‘How solid! How sadly immalleable! How I wish for a world consisting only of Non-Newtonian fluids!’ That world has arrived, via the dark magic of videogames, as The Floor is Jelly.”

I very much like the way this man thinks. Someday, I hope he’s elected as god emperor so that his mad vision can come true. For now, though, we’ll just have to make do with the fact that The Floor Is Jelly will be out on January 30th, aka next week. It’s also got a soundtrack by Fez music maestro Disasterpeace, which I’m saying now because I couldn’t find anywhere else to put that information.

Anyway, I want to chew on The Floor Is Jelly’s world. I’ve never said that about a game before. But seriously, don’t you just, like, want to feel your incisors ineffectively ricochet off its rippling majesty? It can’t just be me.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MuscleHorse says:

It looks like a game as produced by Wes Anderson. Let’s just hope it doesn’t star Owen Wilson.

2. LTK says:

I burst out in giggles the moment the video showed the first jump.

3. NailBombed says:

There’s always room for Jello: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vV7x-2k2nc

4. wcq says:

The style (and silliness) reminds me of Loco Roco.

With slightly less memorable music, though.

5. LionsPhil says:

But trailer, riddle me this. If everything I touched were made of jelly, would not those spikes be harmless?

6. Assaf says:

Uh? The floor is jelly?
    I’m sorry, but that’s wrong.
    The floor is lava.

7. Jackablade says:

I think my Global Game Jam game may be called “Saga Sagaaaaa SAGA neener-neener-neener, King.com”. It has a nice ring to it.

8. Koozer says:

“Who hasn’t dreamt, at some point, of filling a pool full of jello and swimming in it?”

I have not, for it would entail an elated first few seconds as you bellyflop joyously onto the wobbling, glistening mass, swiftly followed by some hilarious flailing about. This would lead to break up of the jelly, and you would inevitably begin to be enveloped by jelly globs. You would start to panic as you find no purchase, and sink beneath the surface.

The jelly above will wiggle and writhe to make certain no air can reach you in your gelatinous grave.

9. phuzz says:

I think I speak for my two year old niece when I say: YAY JELLY!

10. KirbyEvan says:

Within a Deep Forest did this first, and with a fantastic atmosphere and soundtrack.

It’s a pretty cool metrovania, by the maker of Kyntt, I highly recommend it.

Comment on this story