Walter Peck Couldn’t Stop It: GhostControl Inc. Demo

By Craig Pearson on January 24th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Something nice for the weekend for you. Ghost Control Inc., a mash-up of X-COM and Ghostbusters that apparently didn’t exist–even though the idea is pretty compelling–has been out for a few weeks. Normally I wouldn’t just post about a wee game being out for a while, but in this case the developers have released a demo, enabling you to play before you pay, hunt before you take a punt, trapping before snapping (open your wallet). Adam liked it.

So you can now grab it from here and take a little bit of time out of your day to wander around a lovely pixel-art rendition of London. You’ll fight other wandering ghost hunters as you attempt to stop my city from becoming Spook Central, which I think we can all agree is important. But doubly important is someone recognising that Ghostbusters really needs to be strip-mined for all its worth. If there’s an IP that I would love to see the power of a modern PC being thrown at… well it’s actually Indiana Jones. And Jurassic Park. And maybe also Jaws? But I’d love to see Ghostbusters properly done, with co-op and Bill Murray.

They’re still hoping to end up on Steam, FYI.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

Egon

Your mucus

1. Velko says:

It… looks like SimCity 2000?

At some point, the retro indie graphics movement went terribly wrong.

• Andy_Panthro says:

Surely a bit more like X-COM: Apocalypse.

• Alien.Nated says:

Actually I just thought to myself how pleasantly the visuals remind me of the likes of SimCity 2000 and Rollercoaster Tycoon. I’d have to disagree with whole “terribly wrong” sentiment but then again I’m a child of the 90s and as such still shocked how downright ugly and uninspired a certain little game called Dragon Age looked in contrast to its supposed “spritual predecessor” (the Baldurs Gate series). Before you throw some cheap-ass middle-of-the-road generic 3D graphics at me, I take a well realized retro-look any day of the week. Nostalgia is a powerfull emotion in it’s own right and when used right can yield some pretty amazing results :-D

• kazooka says:

It’s a team of three with a budget of 12,000 pounds. I suspect it’s a matter of resources rather than aesthetics. But in a lot of ways, this game is a throwback, and the retro graphics are somewhat appropriate here.

• Alien.Nated says:

When we talk Ghostbusters it most certainly is appropiate. There is no shame in having a small team and budget as long as you make the best of it. That much indies have proved sufficiently I believe. Even if resources are plentifull a 2D/Pixelart or whatever look can be a good choice depending on the game. That’s something many big studios don’t seem to get … not every game has to look like Crysis, furthermore not every game even should look like Crysis. At the least because it would be boring as hell if they would!
        Bad enough the-now-last-gen seemed (for the most part) oblivious to the very concept of c-o-l-o-r. As if it was a surreal alchmestic concept lost long ago before the time of the written word and now only known as the faint whisper of children’s fairy tales in the collective mind.
        Why da hell do I always get poetic when I talk about modern videogames and color ? Maybe because it almost seemed as if it would require nothing short of real-life magic to get the damn thing back.

• ashgames says:

Kazoo: I guess you refer to the 12000 pounds Kickstarter pledges. This is only a fraction of what went into the project and it is seven people involved. The graphics style was chosen because of the 90ies hommage we found appropriate. We have one problem with the project: It is often taken for a simple game because – admittedly – the first impression might be of a simple Facebook game.

However seven people pumped in content for about nine months. Just a few numbers: It has about 20 hours play time, 18 base ghost types and their variations, 130 hunters to chose from, 90 weapons, traps and other equipment icons all with their different stats and uses, over 100 soundFX escpecially created for it, a dialogue system for the emergency calls that can spit out 70,000 different dialogues, 350 funny (at least we find them funny) shoutouts that the hunters use to comment in speech bubbles and in professionally recorded audio what they’re doing… and so on.

Sorry, I made this a bit too long. Check out the demo. It’ll give you an idea.

Volker (dev team)

• kazooka says:

No need to sell it to me, I backed it. Guess I didn’t realize that you guys were a little bit bigger than I realized, but not that much.

• ashgames says:

Well, thank you for backing us then. Just thought it couldn’t hurt to correct the facts a bit. ;-)

2. Dog Pants says:

In London? Now I’m imagining the Ghostbusters in the office of Boris Johnson trying to convince him that judgement day is coming. That scene would have been very different.

3. Hodge says:

I’m surpised that no one’s ever had a crack at a Caddyshack game. It could be an asymmetrical multiplayer type deal where one side is trying to have a proper game of golf and the other side is just trying to bollocks it up for them.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

Egon

Your mucus

5. kazooka says:

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is that the music is surprisingly great. Sort of a remix of the Ghostbusters soundtrack with ska and chip-tunes. And yes, as I’m writing that, I realize how horrific that sounds, but the end result is a lot more pleasant than the ingredients.

6. Shadowcat says:

I love the disclaimer :)

7. KDR_11k says:

I guess it says something about my lack of travel that I recognize the area from the screenshot only because it was the first level of Earth Defense Force 2.

• Chaz says:

I don’t think you need to have traveled to a place to recognise its famous landmarks. I’ve never been to Moscow, but I’m pretty sure I could spot the Kremlin in a picture.

8. flashmanandy says:

Loving the game but have just had to email mail@bumblebee because Desura have supplied me with a game key and I cant activate the game.

It says my demo time has ended, but whenever I try and activate the game, it says ‘serial not valid’

• Heavenfall says:

I had the same problem. Go to desura.com/collection and press the GhostControl INC “Keys” link, then you should be able to “Get” a new one (I was).

• ashgames says:

It’s like Heavenfall says. It is a rather odd problem because for now they have assigned two keys to the product and the correct key can only be found through that desura.com/collection link.

9. Mahatma Dagon says:

I’m the only one who couldn’t find a link to a demo anywhere? Even mentions of the existence of one, besides the original post here in RPS, were impossible to find.

Comment on this story