The RPS Bargain Bucket: A Diggle-ing Concern

By Cassandra Khaw on January 25th, 2014 at 11:10 am.

I have a confession to make. Last night, I allowed my bibliophilism to run free. Books were purchased. So very many of them. Enough to last the next week, perhaps. (I read frustratingly quickly.) And all it’s because I couldn’t endure being on the Internet this week. I’m just so crushed by this long, legal saga surrounding Candy Crush Saga developers-nee-troglodytes King.  But before I go into my self-imposed exile, have a bunch of interesting games gone cheap. And a Diggle plushie. Because Dungeons of Dredmor is on sale this week and someone asked for one last week.

The Book of Unwritten Tales
$7.99 /£4.84/€5.84

Royalty isn’t all but bad. This week in Bargain Bucket, we’ve got proof of that. Instead of lawsuits, KING art makes adventure games and The Book of Unwritten Tales is, I assure you, a very fine adventure game indeed. If you like gnomes, at any rate, and fourth wall-shattering sense of humour. Breezy, charming and charged with surprisingly good voice acting, The Book of Unwritten Tales is a straightforward plot jammed with little winks and nudges. The puzzles aren’t terribly hard, however, and the narrative won’t leave you in sympathetic tears but that’s not necessarily a bad thing now, is it? (Also, this game has what looks like a refugee from Sesame Street.)

P.S: The prequel, which doesn’t outright demand knowledge of The Book of Unwritten Tales but would benefit from knowledge of it, is also on sale.

Surgeon Simulator 2013
$2.49/£1.51/€1.82

Surgeon Simulator 2013 creeps me out a bit too much for me to actually play it myself but the editorial overlords seem to think it’s a rib-tickling good time.  Which, I suppose, should be endorsement enough. For those who don’t know what Surgeon Simulator 2013 is, the game sort of kind but not quite offers exactly what it advertises: the ability to dig deep into someone’s torso with floppy, nigh-useless hands and engage in various medical procedures. There’s a lot of cartoon blood, floppy bits of gore and silliness involved, to put it mildly.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
$12.36/£7.49/€9.04

Fancy commanding an army of big, punchy robot-type people? Well, you’re going to either need a) to commission a scientist to engage in illegal human testing or b) buy XCOM: Enemy Unknown so you can properly access the expansion pack. A point to note: XCOM: Enemy Unknown seems to be one of those games which go on discount every other week; its price vacillates more than body weight on a yo-yo diet. But, if you really need to pick up the game right the heck now, this isn’t a terrible opportunity.

The Humble Weekly Sale
$6.00/£3.64/€4.39 to unlock all games

Did you know you can pay anything you want for Paranautical Activity, Dungeons of Dredmor Complete and Hack, Slash, Loot? No? Well, you do now. And you really should consider tossing the developers a few dollars because their contemporary roguelike-esque games are rather spiffy. But why stop there? For just a little more, you can gain access to The Bindings of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC, Teleglitch: Die More Edition Guns and Tunes and Swords of the Stars: The Pit – Gold Edition. All terrific games if you’re the sort who enjoys being repeatedly butchered alive in a callous, turn-based environment.

Neighbours from Hell Compilation
$3.99/£2.42/€2.92
Oh man, guys. The memories. The memories. Neighbours from Hell was instrumental in demonstrating to both my sister and I that we’re a little evil. We lost hours to our own evil machinations in the game. The whole premise is built on a fantasy: how would you take revenge on a loathsome, unpleasant neighbour without inflicting bodily or financial harm? By going a little bonkers with the pranks, of course. And that’s pretty much the long and short of the franchise. As the nefarious mind behind the cheeky little Woody, you’re going to want to set up ridiculous traps and do everything you can to mentally destroy the corpulent troll living next door.

Also of note:

Mount & Blade: Warband $3.60/£2.18/€2.63
A lot of nice things were said about Mount & Blade: Warband which introduced a much-needed multiplayer component to the franchise. You can read some of those things here.

Sanctum 2 $2.24/£1.79/€2.09
Another excellent game currently going for very, very cheap. Bonus: Sanctum 2 is doing that nifty Free Weekend thing right now so you can try it out before you buy.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Noburu says:

That Humble bundle really is quite wonderful. I think the only things I dont already own in it are the BoI expansion and teleglitch. Might have to pick it up.

• Xylismand35 says:

my roomate’s sister-in-law makes $82 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her income was $14862 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read Full Article…….

2. Alligator Patrol says:

Worth noting that the new X-COM X-pansion is half price on Get Games too: http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/xcom-enemy-within

• Lambchops says:

Cheers for pointing that out, I’ve been looking for it to be reduced for a while.

Of course this just means I’m going to replay XCOM instead of carving further into my extensive backlog (been enjoying Rayman Oranges at the minute) but hey, I’ve been looking for an excuse to do so for a while now.

3. CookPassBabtridge says:

The Plushie Request System is the very finest addition to RPS in the history of forever ^0^. This column always co-incides with my saturday walk and coffee / muffin in the park cafe and makes Saturday afternoon very enjoyable. And there are cheap games too (yeah i know, priorities all wrong but CUDDLY THINGS!!!). So I think I am saying ta for a smashing column and hope you aren’t too sad about the candy crush thing

4. amateurviking says:

I MUST HAVE A STUFFED DIGGLE!

5. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

what’s the special thing about the guns an tunes in that particular Teleglitch edition? I only got it from… – honesty I don’t even know which bundle anymore.

• Jalan says:

Teleglitch was previously the lone jewel in a pile of turds put out by IndieGala as a “limited” bundle (aka they set a ludicrously high number and thought it’d sell like hotcakes and when it didn’t they started decreasing the number so they could get to marketing yet another pile that much faster).

6. Gap Gen says:

I wish I had a) your willpower concerning the internet and b) your ability to read all the damn books I buy every time I go within a kilometre of a bookshop.

7. belgand says:

If you happen to have purchased a game from them in the past few months and have one of those Amazon $5 off credits right now Tomb Raider can be had for a scant $4. Not bad for a game that’s going to be coming out for $60 in a month or so on the new consoles and hoping it looks as nice as it has for the past year on PCs.

• Grygus says:

Heey, that game’s not on the exclusive list of Editor’s Choice games that the e-mail linked me to! It does indeed work, though; thanks for the heads up!

8. vecordae says:

Man, if there was only some way to exclude Kerberos from getting a cut of the purchase without also cutting out the fine folks at every other dev team represented here.

Sure, it’s only a few cents, but I’m still butt-hurt over Sword of the Stars II.

• Llewyn says:

Humble usually lets you expand the developer list and set sliders for each developer individually. I haven’t bought this bundle but I’d be surprised if they’ve excluded it specifically.

• Csirke says:

Should we not like them? Was there some sort of ugly news about them at some time?

I already bought the bundle and paid them, so it won’t matter for me, but I’m curious.

9. MykulJaxin says:

I reinstalled my beloved Dredmor this week and noticed they’d updated the “Dodge” skill tree. The highest skill now says “Most Dodge!”, referencing that one meme, which I thought was very silly. It, uh, didn’t always say that, did it?

• The Random One says:

So meme, wow.

• dE says:

The Wiki Article History for Artful Dodger lists “Most Dodge” as far back as 15 July 2011. That would have to be a very quick response. To my knowledge, the meme took a little while longer to gain traction and it seems like 2013 was it’s year. To be fair though, almost all of Dredmor is a reference to something.

10. lowprices says:

Dangit, I almost forgot about the Saturday Plushcast!

Also, I am glad that I already own all the games here that I wanted, as purchasing games and furnishing an unfurnished house do not mix.

11. The Random One says:

There are still some fifty or so keys for Zafehouse Diaries 75% off at the Daily Royale, where we pretend limited shelf space is still a thing. http://www.dailyroyale.com/

12. Kethis says:

my co-worker’s mom makes $68 /hour on the laptop . She has been unemployed for 6 months but last month her payment was $16793 just working on the laptop for a few hours. you can find out more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

13. Jurple says:

Yet another worthwhile bargain: Defender’s Quest as Steam’s daily deal, for 1.39 euros.

• kalirion says:

Or $1.49 US. Excellent game, does for Tower Defense what Puzzle Quest did for Match 3.

• Randomer says:

Seeing as how Defender’s Quest is great catch at any price, I heartily recommend you buy it via this sale. Excellent, charming tower defense.

Also, one of the developers (Lars Doucet) has a lot of insightful things to say about video game pricing and development. You can find that over at Fortress of Doors.

• Banyan says:

I third the recommendation for Defender’s Quest. That’s a lot of gaming fun for very little.

14. kalirion says:

Groupees Retro 2 Bundle lets you build your own bundle from the following games:

Gobliiins Trilogy
    Irem Arcade Hits (18 arcade games in this one)
    Raiden Legacy, The Return
    Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine
    Saturday Morning RPG
    Pineapple Smash Crew
    //N.P.P.D. RUSH// : THE MILK OF ULTRA VIOLET
    Rot Gut

$0.75/per game, 2 games minimum, the more games the cheaper per game.

Every purchase also gets the bonuses:
    Two Brothers + prequel comic (Not to be confused with Brothers: Tale of Two Sons)
    Super Killer Hornet + SKH Resurrection (unlocks once 5k purchases met)
    Every

15. jmtd says:

Borderlands 2 GOTY for Mac/digital is/was £9.99 on Amazon UK – and it appears to be just a steam key, and appears to be the PC version too (that is, it’s in your steam library, you can install it on either).

16. willardmcass says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site…..

17. Yosharian says:

It’s funny how the comments system regularly rejects my messages for banned keywords like the third game of the series that shall not speak its name, yet these spam messages that are EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY TIME get through. Like how hard is it to ban the keyword combination $xx/hour or something.

18. BlueTemplar says:

There’s also a bundle with Sword of the Stars 1, one of the best 4X games made so far :
    - Note that the price was 2.66€ a few days before and is 4.34€ now, so I wonder if it won’t keep increasing.
    - The other games in this bundle would be worthwhile if they weren’t on sale so often, and if they didn’t seem like a trap to make you buy all the associated DLC’s.
    - This site also has other sales you might potentially be interested in, like one with Tropico 4 (but again, without the DLC’s).

19. ralphdlough says: