Gender Swap Is A Fascinating Use Of Oculus Rift (NSFW)

By John Walker on January 27th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

I’ve yet to put on some Oculus Rift goggles, which rather annoys me. I imagine March’s GDC will see that cherry popped for me, but I suspect not in a way as innovative or intriguing as is offered by Gender Swap. As part of The Machine To Be Another, an ongoing experimental art project, this uses the virtual reality headset to give users the experience of being someone else – and in this case, someone of a different sex.

The Machine To Be Another’s projects work something like this: Two people put on headsets, and then see each other’s perspectives. That would be an extraordinarily bemusing experience were it not for the synchronising of the two users, each mimicking the other’s movement. It’s like that party game where you have to mirror the person opposite you, except this time you see what they should see, and vice versa. The results are interesting enough for many projects to be built around the concept, and none has been more attention grabbing so far than Gender Swap.

A man and a woman each don the Rifts, and then wearing minimal clothing, begin the experiment. Each moves to match the other’s movements, so the results are a combination of their individual idiomatic movements, and their subtle desires. So it’s perhaps no surprise that the experience often leads to explorations of the body. You can see the results of this in the video below, which due to nudity is likely not safe for work.

The project states that it’s an “investigation on Gender Identity, Queer Theory and Mutual Respect”. That latter part intrigues me the most. The notion of “agreed movement” is clearly massively complex, and further complicated by introducing genders and the access to bits and bobs. Where the project is used to give experiences of changing race, size and so on, there’s a very different tone to how people behave, as you can see here. Take some clothes off and it very quickly becomes about more intimate exploring. Obviously one person can reject the wandering hand suggestions of the other at any time, but when there’s an obligation to mirror, one person can easily take a lead. I found it a peculiar combination of attractive and uncomfortable. And then there’s the lady at the end who ignores all that and just pulls out her pants to get the guy to do the same. Well, you would, wouldn’t you?

I can’t imagine how peculiarly intimate the experience much be, whether clothed or not, to see from someone else’s perspective, to experience that. The project seems well worth following, especially to see if it can find its way to clinical use. I’d be especially interested to see whether it could induce attitude changes in the, well, less than lovely. Whether that forced notion of empathy could affect someone. Plus, it seems a great way to get a look at boobs or willies.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tom De Roeck says:

Actually, I dont know what the response to this is going to be.

2. Don Reba says:

It seems like something that would be better without the Rift.

3. Think big says:

Yeaaah, this is neat on paper, but I can’t see it being interesting for more than a few minutes. If you’re already hanging out with a member of the opposite gender and you’re both in your underwear, I’d imagine you could think of better things to do than a very elaborate game of copycat.

• ryth says:

Right, because nudity between the opposite sex is immediately sexual and the idea of experiencing the physical feeling of embodying the body of another is boring as hell.

• Think big says:

Well, since the rift doesn’t include ACTUAL physical feedback, it’s not really quite there. And, again, it’s certainly an amusing idea, but I’m sure that you’ll agree with me that something like this would not make for long lasting entertainment.

• DanMan says:

The trick is in mimicking the other person’s movement. The more n-sync (pun intended) they both are, the bigger the chance that they actually forget that the body they see isn’t actually theirs.

• Geewhizbatman says:

Well, you’ll notice there that a big part of the project is Gender Identity and Queer Theory. Which means presumably part of the projects intent IS to explore the dissaociative quality of, oh say, seeing breasts on your chest and then running your hands down them and not feeling them (or vice versa obviously). Which I think would be a fascinating experience.

I don’t think the intent of the project is to recreate Total Recall.

• mr.black says:

And if they’d be v-sync, there would be a lot of ripping.

• Chirez says:

The point of the setup is that visual feedback is arguably the most powerful shaper of body image in the brain. Your identity is closely bound to the body your eyes seem to be part of. It’s not a purely visual experience, it’s designed to make you not just believe you are, but in some sense actually become the other person, physically, while remaining yourself, mentally.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

I think you are overestimating the impact of visual stimuli. Feeling my hairy chest, but seeing a completely hairless (ahem) bebreasted chest would be a bit disconcerting, to say the least.

• Synesthesia says:

I won it in like 15 minutes, and i didn’t even get an achievment wtf is this

There is actual feedback, it is your own body. Sort of like the phantom limb experiments? It is also maybe not a game?

• Joshua says:

From what I gathered from talking to one of my friends, this is basically what transgenders experience: Their mind has the bodymap of one gender, whilst their body is something else entirely.

It’s probably rather close to phantom limbs, except that now they have been replaced with something else. Imagine waking up one day with your limbs being replaced, without you noticing, with some sort of mutation or mechanical components. And then having to deal with your land owner since you had to replace your mirror *again*.

• phelix says:

Ah, just like De-
            Scratch that, I didn’t read the last sentence.

• hungrycookpot says:

Well yeah, usually.

4. ryth says:

Hey John,

Thanks for posting this. Extremely interesting! Part of the reason that I love this site is that you explore the social aspects of games and technology. Cheers

5. T-wester says:

better use of the rift than this http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/7/77538/2580032-1387085495171.gif
    also i didn’t know that feminist technoscience was a thing

6. Clavus says:

Seeing at the Global Game Jam just wrapped up, there are several neat little Rift games in the wild again. This is my personal favourite at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYs3Xxh3XE

7. ShadowTiger says:

If they want to do an accurate representation of gender dynamics, simply record a girl’s point of view walking through town and having guys leering at her, and then record a guy’s point of view. It would work great with the occulus rift and actually demonstrate a real idea of what its like to be a woman. The activities portrayed in the video only really work if you could plug your brain directly into a computer like the Matrix.

Our society is in a sad state, assuredly… but I don’t see the merits of this art project besides being a fun little game for couples.

• The Random One says:

Internal and external gender interpretations are both important. What you describe would also be interesting, but is presently unfeasible. That doesn’t mean this one experiment is completely useless.

• John Walker says:

As an exploration of the male gaze, that would be fascinating. What a splendid idea.

• Geebs says:

You only think it’s a good idea ‘cos you’re a man and therefore value visual stimuli. It’s not that facile simple.

• Jamesworkshop says:

i’m pretty sure the value of eyes cross gender age and race barriers

even Speciation

• Bull0 says:

…It’s an idea about getting men to understand the female experience… but you’re saying it only sounds good to John because he’s a man

was that the joke?

• Jamesworkshop says:

maybe John just wants to feel pretty for a change

• Geebs says:

Nah, I was just pointing out the intrinsic sexism of a man trying to understand a woman’s point of view through a very male (visual/technical) set of parameters, which I thought was amusing.

On another note, I had a look at the project’s website and the ideas about performance and narrative were actually much more interesting than the purely technical stuff.

• Bull0 says:

Seems a little unfair to call that sexist. We’re saying men understand things easier if they make it technical or visual, but because the thing they’re trying to understand is the female experience, they shouldn’t do that?

• The Random One says:

Wait, what? You’re saying John is sexist because he wants to use a visual medium to explore gender differences, and apparently vision is a man thing (because women are like dogs I suppose?) If you place a fake hand next to you and someone touches it at the same time someone touches your real hand, you become convinced that hand is your and will flinch if someone brings a hammer down on it. This happens to men and women. This has a lot less to do with vision than with proprioperception.

• Geebs says:

The proprioceptive stuff with the Machine to be Another is interesting, but tricking proprioception is terribly easy and not really the same thing as identity; they’re doing stuff with playing with the internal monologue at the same time. The emphasis there, however, seems to be on sharing experiences, which is a reasonable aim.

The “Male Gaze Simulator” thing, however, wouldn’t be using any of the clever bits, and the idea that somebody could do that and totally comprehend another person’s experience struck me as patronising. Probably not effective either although it could explain why, after trying that Virtuality thing in the nineties, I spent three years thinking I was an octagon.

• Edgewise says:

Oh wow, Geebs, you were actually serious? Your comment sounded like a mean-spirited parody of feminism. In fact, I thought it was an especially unsubtle joke.

• frightlever says:

I remember a BBC documentary about this and basically men stare at tits a lot. Wasn’t a Panorama, don’t think it was an Arena, it was some sciency documentary series from the 80s/90s. God, can not remember the name of it… I’m picturing a globe… possibly an Omnibus, maybe an Horizon. Probably a Horizon. So anyway, a lot!

• Unclepauly says:

This is very true. I’ve had this problem my whole life. Sometimes I even make myself feel bad cause I catch myself drifting off into a girl tits, which I then catch the girl catching me catching myself. It’s an endless merry go round of tits and realization. The male experience in a nutshell I guess, my life is so hard.

• Jamesworkshop says:

that’s one of the advantages of liking women s hindquarters

• Ostymandias says:

just stop. i’m a heterosexual person with a penis and i don’t need to stare at tits all day
            seriously

• c-Row says:

From what women told me I can assure you they also stare. They are just more subtle at it.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah…that’s the point. They’re subtle. Here in India a dude will walk within feet of a woman staring all over her. It’s not nice.

I think the closest experience an average straight male of a particular population could get to that of a female in the same population would be to put that male in a place where the rest of the men are homosexual.

• joa says:

Yes because gender dynamics is no more complicated than guys leering at women

• Gap Gen says:

Eh, if you remove the text before the first comma it’s still a decent idea. The main thing would be that head-tracking wouldn’t really work that well compared to the project in the article, where people have agreed to sync their motions – in the street, stuff like avoiding traffic and other people might be more of a concern.

• Jamesworkshop says:

women don’t look at men

apparently

surely couldn’t be popular for anything besides the plot :)

maybe they should hand them out to beliebers

• Gap Gen says:

Right, because that’s a picture taken on the High Street.

Seriously, this isn’t about repressing sex (indeed, many people in the feminist movement are sex-positive and would like people to be less judgemental about female sexuality), but about having an environment where people feel safe – for example, in the US (in 2003), 90% of rape victims were female: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims. The point of this suggested program is to make it clearer to how people in the street react to different genders, since it’s hard to see how other people are treated if you’re not them. It’s not about approaches made in the right context, or about being sexually attracted to people, but about the threat of sexual violence, which is much higher for women, both for social reasons and because women are generally physically weaker. It’s easy to be blasé about abuse if it’s not a threat to you, but it is a threat to other people.

• Jamesworkshop says:

40% of rapes happen in the home

100% of rapists have eyes, 100% of non rapist have eyes

having eyes i think is a bit different from being a rapist

rape is not just a problem if it happens to women, its a crime against any person, I’d hope you’d agree with me on that?

as for not being in the high street those posters are, that’s just saying most men are not much to look at which isn’t that great of a retort, do you see people getting raped in the high street.

why are you even talking about rape at all in the first place, to imply I was advocating for rape is just a smear you cannot justify so I think you owe me an apology or take it back.

(after all suggesting that women like looking at lithe young men clearly is telling all men everywhere that rape is what?, a lifestyle choice?)

as for being judgemental about female sexuality, what judgement? you seen the magazines women read and write and buy, two huge book franchise of recent times, both from a perspective of a type of erotic imagery and fantasy that some women have?

If abortion is a womens choice about her body i’m sure men can be allowed to allow photons to enter their eyes

my body, my choice anyone?

that doesn’t even get troubled by situational ethics like what is killing and what is murder

• Jamesworkshop says:

^ Andrew Denton (2003-09-15). “Enough Rope”. ABC TV. Retrieved 2008-02-09. “Andrew Denton: There are those who say — have already said in print — that what you’re doing is creepy. It’s no different to an old man staring at a young girl and lusting after them.

Germaine Greer:

(CHUCKLES) Well, you can’t stop the old man staring at the young girl and lusting. What are you going to do — tell old men that they must be blindfold or something? I don’t think that’s particularly creepy as long as they understand that they’re not…they have no right to lay hands on that person. But you can’t stop them. How could you? I mean, the luminous figure of a beautiful young girl walking down the street and the old men sitting on the wall, leaning on their sticks. What are you going to say? “Look the other way, you dreadful old bastards”? What are you going to say? It’s part of the joy of life is admiring the beauty of things that are beautiful. What is important to me about the Boy is that once upon a time his beauty was understood and celebrated by people of both sexes. A boy was allowed to dress in very bright colours, he was allowed to show himself off in the street, he dyed his hair, he wore make-up, he wore a little cap tipped over his eye with a big feather in, he wore tight pants and cropped jackets and so on. And the girls looked down from behind their jalousie and talked about the best-looking boys.”

• Gap Gen says:

Yes, rape is a crime against any person, but it’s 800% more likely to happen to a woman. You can’t argue that rape is a problem that is experienced equally by both sexes, because that’s not true.

As for why I was referring to it (sorry, my first comment was perhaps a bit oblique), I was mainly arguing that the point of the exercise wouldn’t simply be to point out that men and women are treated differently in the street, but that the world is a scarier place for women than men. While being ogled by women for men may be flattering, for women it can be more threatening. Sure, approaching women and looking at them isn’t bad in of itself, but it’s important to realise that the act of looking at someone or talking to them in the street has different connotations for different people, and trying to strike up a conversation with a stranger who’s walking past in the street can come across as very creepy, even if that’s not intended. The discussion about this idea is that just showing what the world looks like through someone’s eyes and ears doesn’t necessarily show what it *feels* like to be that person.

And sure, women’s magazines can often be pretty terrible (from what I hear, that is; I haven’t read any beyond the cover). And yes, I’m not saying that sex or sexual attraction is bad in of itself.

• Bull0 says:

@Jamesworkshop – Yeah, saying you advocate rape. That’s obviously what he was doing by mentioning rape. Good to see you’re not being silly about this.

• Jamesworkshop says:

@Bull0

- I was referring to that

@ Gap Gen

I didn’t make any claims about proportionality of rape victims because I don’t find it relevant, the problem is not the choice of target but that being a rapist is what should be being objected to.

Just like how If we talked about domestic violence, not all of it takes place in a hetero-normative setting, I don’t think it matters what particular orientation someone is when they strike the person supposed to be a loved one, it’s not something open to being relativized

rape exists because their are rapists, it’s very simple.

looking and talking are not the same thing you can’t gaze with your mouth and you don’t speak with your eyes, literally speaking. its certainly not groping either which is twice removed as physical and not non-physical contact

as for the magazines my point was not they are terrible but that expressions of female interest in sex, are not such a hush hush isn’t this disgraceful an affair, look at how many women owe their fame simply to making their sexual encounters a matter of public discourse.

Do teenager girls feel repressed to the point they won’t scream at JB, because honestly I don’t see many adolescent boys descending in screaming hordes where-ever Selena Gomez travels to.

Just look at fan-fiction i’d bet my last penny that all the homoerotic slash fiction is way more popular with females than gay males, I’d certainly argue that if any peoples expressions of love were said to be abhorred, then Gay men certainly are the winners of that race.

The only scaring thing to me is how many women buy books off Amazon in the “dubious consent ” genre.

Rape in fact is almost always domestic abuse a stranger turning their head in the street is the least likely candidate to rape anyone, it’s a minor figure the rapes between strangers, same as child abuse not always but sometimes sexual is largely from siblings or the parents or parental care giver, not someone like Jimmy savile.

I believe that both topics are one and the same in that I believe the lack of seriousness around them is that people are terrified of betrayal(which pre-requires trust), that such terrible things are most likely things about which people they know very well, are going to be true most often than true of strangers.

A political example of the same effect would be the trouble of getting Americans to accept that Bill Clinton was both the head of state, a figure supposed exemplify the constitution was also a rapist.

• s0nicfreak says:

90% of REPORTED rapes. (Or maybe even CONVICTED rapes.)

• jrodman says:

Hey guys, don’t feed the troll.

• SuicideKing says:

I think i’m going to block Jamesworkshop, before my eyes stray and read more of the crap they’ve pasted.

Any crime statistics, especially rape, are dependent on culture, country, place, ethnicity, etc. so might as well report that before throwing out stats.

And yeah, females are many times more likely to be raped. Or have people flashing dicks at them in dark corners. I didn’t know about the latter till like two weeks ago…it’s pathetic.

• P.Funk says:

Why does the girl have to be the focus of attention? In studies of gender dynamics is it implicit that we’re really just here to sympathize with the female experience?

• SillyWizard says:

Only non-cisgendered females. Straight people of both sexes have it so easy that they don’t deserve a second thought. All of our efforts for bringing true understanding and equality to the world must be focused on the truly downtrodden.

In fact, it turns out that even being gay is so mainstream that that population doesn’t really need any attention, either. It’s the Questioning — the people who can’t even express what gender they identify as — who are genuinely entitled to whatever it is that they want.

(This is honestly what is being espoused by the YWCA Human Sexuality workshop my gf has been attending. She went there to educate herself on the ever-changing world of fringe-sexuality, and has been literally yelled at for not already knowing everything about fringe sexuality; for being straight; and for trying to explain that it would be more helpful to educate people like herself than to yell at them.)

• iseemonkeys says:

So they kind of like Catholic church few hundred years ago trying make people feel guilty and oppress scientific understanding because it may hurt peoples feeling. and contradict the groups teachings.

• Gap Gen says:

I’d guess that was mainly power politics in the Church – basically anyone who was educated knew the world was round at the time of Galileo, I gather, but contradicting the Church implied that it was fallible, which wouldn’t do.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

@wizard – Is she going back?

• SillyWizard says:

@CookPassBabtridge

She sure is. She has a superhuman well of patience. (Hence, obviously, her being able to put up with yours truly.)

The primary thing that she finds frustrating is that she’s going there because she wants to become more informed, but it’s run largely as a venting outlet for people who feel like they’ve been discriminated against. (Who hasn’t?)

Here’s an example: they did an exercise where one of the instructors was playing the role of a volunteer facilitator at a battered women’s shelter. A man dressed in women’s clothing — and identifying as a woman — approached this volunteer, and requested to be allowed to stay in the shelter. The volunteer was unfamiliar with men-identifying-as-women and refused him entry. The class was then invited to play the part of another worker at the shelter who came across the situation, and respond to the volunteer.

The almost universal response to the volunteer was anger and not-work-appropriate language. My GF suggested a more cool-headed approach, and tried to educate the volunteer on the mysteries of non-cisgenderedness. She explained that as the volunteer didn’t know any better since she’d never come across it before, there was no use getting angry with her. The most helpful tack would be to introduce her gently to the subject at hand.

The instructor at this point (stepping out of her role as the volunteer) stated that it was appropriate, in this type of situation, for people to express their anger over their own experiences of discrimination.

Seriously? (Yes, seriously. I’ll let you decide for yourselves everything that’s wrong with that. I find it too frustrating to even type out.)

• Gap Gen says:

Yes, it’s difficult for people who experience prejudice to not get angry at people who say prejudiced things without knowing better. I know someone who often got angry at people for saying things that might be construed as sexist, and it often had the opposite effect – people tend to back down rather than be convinced, and their goal tends to be to get rid of the shouty person rather than understand their point of view. At the same time, it must be very frustrating to have to calmly educate every person you come across about acceptance of other ways of life, especially when there are quite a few actual bigots who will abuse you out of hatred rather than well-meaning ignorance.

• P.Funk says:

@ Gap Gen

Well not losing you temper and pointing things out rationally and calmly is called taking the high ground. If all anyone wants to do is self affirm themselves about how righteous they are by flipping out and losing their temper then they’re not much better than the status quo that they’re fighting against. Its not bad to be an asshole if you have a culturally positive brand to slap on top of your douchebaggery, though for some reason violating ancient and basic human social norms in the process is considered perfectly acceptable.

Its unfortunately a symptom of the human race though. Tolerant, intolerant, it doesn’t matter. People are fucking morons and soon as the cultural tide turns in favour of their point of view they’ll happily go ape on anything they feel like.

Its really exhausting to believe in something then watch people who “agree” with you behave like asses.

• Amun says:

@P.Funk:
            This is my problem with a lot of feminists — they preach equality and tolerance, but they don’t always live up to that. For instance, I saw a muslim woman in my class get reduced to tears because she made the mistake of telling our female psychology class that she didn’t think a woman should be president. That professor also spent 20 minutes one day telling us about how rape jokes are not funny (I can agree with that!) and how anyone who says such things are perpetuating rape culture and so on and so forth. She later told me that I should be worried coming to class because she thought I looked like the artist’s drawing of an accused rapist. Apparently that was supposed to be a joke.

My philosophy now is that men and women are both horrible because people are horrible.

• aleander says:

Well, if you’ve seen the said point of view, you’d know.

• P.Funk says:

Oh yes, the pain and torture of being pretty and having people look at you. Every man should learn that his eyes are weapons of discrimination. His quiet desires are a profound statement about the foul nature of our culture. Yadda yadda. etc etc.

What about the male experience of having women flirt with him just so that he’ll buy them drinks, and then when they get their drinks the girls walk away, violating the unspoken rule of “buy someone a drink, share some conversation”?

I’ve seen it happen, and I’ve had girls I knew and respected admit that they’d all done it at least once, asked a guy for a drink knowing that he’d probably give in and then walking away once they got it. Many girls I know basically never pay for anything when they go clubbing. They literally look at men and just see wallets and credit cards.

Its kind of lame to hear about the hard life of women when its highlighted in such a shallow way. The gazes of men are nothing compared to the attacks on Planned parenthood or the lack of decent rape crisis centres in some areas. Women have it pretty bad in most police forces and don’t even start with the military. I don’t much give a shit what some girl who went out of her way to look pretty thinks when people pay attention to her when I consider the above.

• Hanban says:

“I don’t much give a shit what some girl who went out of her way to look pretty thinks when people pay attention to her when I consider the above.”

Don’t be an asshole. Even if a person dresses up nice it doesn’t somehow validate ogling and general creepy behaviour. And the fact that there are *more important battles* doesn’t somehow mean you can’t criticize this culture of cat calling we have. Working for a public space where women can feel safe and comfortable and all these other important issues are not mutually exclusive.

• Amun says:

You can see there’s a difference between harassing an attractive person (ie catcalling) and simply looking at them, right? It might be annoying to have someone stare at you, but that’s why we call it being in public.

• P.Funk says:

What culture of cat calling? I never see any of that. Granted I live in only one city in North America, but still… where did you get this from? Did you power watch the Sopranos on Netflix and decide men are all pigs based on macho Sicilian culture?

• darkChozo says:

That misses an important part of what makes this interesting: the interactivity. If it’s prerecorded (as it would have to be, barring the development of low latency Oculus Robots), it’s only a fancy movie and/or documentary, which brings in all sorts of issues of bias — namely that whoever recorded the thing has control over what’s being shown.

• sophof says:

I think it would make you sick very quickly (as in literally). If it is good enough that you feel you have taken that person’s place, than the fact that your vision doesn’t follow your head movements will drive your sense of balance completely crazy.

• SuicideKing says:

I think anyone walking around with a Rift would automatically attract stares, maybe record with Google Glass and playback on the Rift? Or create some sort of video panorama…but yeah, interesting idea indeed.

Simpler way would be to be super vigilant while walking with a female companion through the city. Keep a track of people looking at her. May lead to paranoia, though. :|

8. Sucram says:

There’s a Google Glass app called ‘sex and Glass’, which allows you to see what your partner sees when you’re having sex.

I presume the intention is to allow you to appreciate what your partner has to put up with as you stare into your own sweaty, techy glasses wearing, stupid sex face.

9. Carlos Danger says:

Reminds me of the love seen in Demolition Man. I am more interested in the three seashells.

10. Jamesworkshop says:

I wonder if people could get motion sickness from this like those people that get it playing certain video games, namely from a first person perspective

• The Random One says:

That’s a weird thought to have. Congratulations on your weird thought!

But you probably wouldn’t feel motion sickness because you feel that when your eyes and your body (more specifically the labyrinth in your inner ear) register different motions, and the whole point of this is that you’re matching your motions with what you’re watching.

11. Jamesworkshop says:

Plus, it seems a great way to get a look at boobs or willies.

some people have both

or is that all three ;)

• SillyWizard says:

I have all three. Sadly, being a fat man doesn’t seem to generate the kinds of inviting leers that I understand pretty womans experience.

12. Jamesworkshop says:

Hang on

Would it be unethical to put these on a pet?

if the tech was suitably fitting since animals aren’t quite the same dimensions as the human body

13. araczynski says:

guess this is the next step in webcam porn?

14. Keymonk says:

Super interesting, but as you said it also seems uncomfortable – I got slightly uncomfortable myself while watching it, in fact.

• Gap Gen says:

It’s kinda odd that society has such a problem with nudity, but then there are a whole host of issues with our society to unpack there.

• Jamesworkshop says:

it’s only interesting to me because we are naked all the time, bodies don’t just stop existing because of clothes
        and the body is still made of flesh and bone like every other bodies body.

We accept that nudity in art can be metaphorical for truth, out in the open, nothing hidden away ect you get the idea or as a concious rejection of place and time, clothes tell a great deal about the place or time period, or social strata, personal wealth, professional line of work., nudity is universal to everyone.

15. Lone Gunman says:

This seems like a cool idea.

16. Morangie says:

When it comes to movie representations of the future, who would have thought Strange Days got it closer to the truth?

17. melnificent says:

You’ve never played on an oculus rift. That’s the real NSFW bit isn’t it?

18. Didden says:

I don’t care how much it’s sold for, I’m still going to wait for the steam sale! :)

19. FullMetalMonkey says:

This probably has already been mentioned but i wonder what sex would be like with this setup?

20. LionsPhil says:

Now if you could only make the Rift wireless and portable, and give each of them a LaserQuest rifle, you could have a real-world second-person shooter. (Of course everything has to be a shooter! THE GUN IS GOOD.)

…man. I kind of what that to happen, now.

21. Opiniomania says:

Who needs this if you have imagination? :)

• PopeRatzo says:

Imagination is funny
      It makes a cloudy day sunny
      It makes a bee think of honey
      Just as I think of you

Imagination is crazy
      Your whole perspective gets hazy
      Starts you asking a daisy
      What to do, what to do

Have you ever felt a gentle touch
      And then a kiss, and then and then
      Find it’s only your imagination again

Imagination is silly
      You go around willy nilly
      For example I go around wanting you
      And yet I can’t imagine that you want me too

22. Fitzmogwai says:

Time to go and watch Strange Days again, then.

23. PopeRatzo says:

That photograph says it all about the human condition, circa 2014.

24. EvilFin says:

Lookit. Boobs.

And I call “Brainstorm”, 1983, with the mighty Walken.

25. thebluemonkey81 says:

2014: wow, this is kinda insteresting

2020: most female characters in Oculus rift mmo X are actually guys.

26. Mr. International says:

ahem… boobs.

27. Bishop says:

Next up, oculus rift waterboarding. One player sees the inside of a sack, while the other sees a man with a sack on his head as he pours water up his nose….a Co-op game.

28. DestroyYourEgo says:

“I’ve seen people really flip at the thought that someone around them is gay…it’s like, they’re suddenly sexually vulnerable, and their entire behaviour changes.”

Which, as a gay male, I can say- I don’t think straight men are attractive. Now, I can’t speak for all homosexuals, but I’ve never thought, “Hey, I bet I can turn him”. I have been hit on by straight guys, which is kinda weird… Actually, in that instance, I was more uncomfortable than the hetero guy was.

It makes me laugh how many double standards there are with homosexuality. Also, how is this gonna do anything for the “Queer Theory”? I just don’t get that bit…

29. orionsmasta says:

Wow! That’s actually a pretty neat thought experiment!

30. breezy33 says:

This will be very interesting to see the outcome.

31. dstephens314 says:

That is amazing how Oculus Rift allows you to be a part of the 3D world instead of just watching it on a TV screen. The possibilities for this totally changes virtual reality. I can see how this can become very addictive, which could be both good and bad. Psy 2800 Derrick

Comment on this story