Whale, It Was Nice Knowing You: Windforge Out In March

By Nathan Grayson on January 27th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

And people say videogames desensitize us to whatever horrible atrocity this is

One of my favorite elements of Dishonored was its plague-infested whalepunk world. By videogame standards, I thought it was a refreshingly weird place, a rot-tinged breath of fresh air burning in my nostrils. But man, it looks downright tame in comparison to Windforge, in which there are flying whales and you mine them hollow and turn them into desecrated flesh vessels to pilot on your journeys. Well, that’s if you’re a jerk, anyway. These sky whales are on the brink of extinction, so technically you’re trying to find an alternate fuel source. Also, there is crazy Bionic-Commando-style swinging action, shooting ripped straight from Contra’s cold, dead hands, and tons of crafting. It looks like total madness, and it’ll be out in March.

The Terraria-ish whalescroller ran the dual gauntlets of both Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight en route to release. Come March 7th, we’ll find out if it was all worthwhile or not. (Hint: I hope it was.)

For now, though, there is a DRM-free pre-release version that you’ll gain immediate access to if you pre-order. It’s not complete yet, obviously, but developer Snowed In will be updating until release day.

So, who’s ready to heartlessly drill some whales? Is it you? Are you a bad enough dude (or non-dude) to drill a bifurcating hole through the whale president?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Archipelagos says:

I sure hope this game isn’t all blubber.

2. Geger says:

Wonder if this game is based on “Netstorm” lore.

• Jackablade says:

Now there’s a name I don’t hear often enough.

Were there sky whales in Netstorm? I remember giant yaks (Bulfs if I remember rightly) and horrible flying jelly fishes, but not whales.

3. Spacewalk says:

It’s obviously the whale’s fault for getting in the way of the drills.

4. TechnicalBen says:

Why am I getting massive Hammer Fight vibes from this?

5. Nevard says:

I love the setting idea but honestly that gameplay video is distinctly underwhelming, I know it was made on a budget but… those gun mechanics…

• ehahnda says:

Is anything in particular with the gun mechanics that you didn’t like? Let me know. We are always looking for feed back and trying to make things better. Thanks!

6. Vexing Vision says:

This reminds me a lot of Aquaria for some reason. Only significantly uglier – which is a shame.

• Bitberry says:

I just bought this because the character animations remind me of Aquaria (A.K.A one of the best indies ever.)

For goodness sake though, Aquaria was never ugly (don’t say ‘uglier’!), and this game looks positively great beside all of the blocky-bit-pixel looks of Terraria and Starbound, et cetera. It looks great!

• Vexing Vision says:

That is a fair point – Aquaria still looks amazing. The trailer for this, however, does nothing for me but discouragement. The start looks fantastic and I had my wallet out already, then the protagonist started running around shooting things.

Let me know if this was just an impression!

7. jrodman says:

I always liked to pretend that dropped/dried fronds from palm trees were actually baleen from the sky-whales. I wonder if this game author is on the same wavelength.

8. Pubjead1970 says:

my roomate’s mother-in-law makes $86 /hr on the internet . She has been out of work for five months but last month her check was $17550 just working on the internet for a few hours. check out the post right here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

9. PopeRatzo says:

Wow, you wouldn’t think it was a 2D platformer from the looks of it.

I’d like to have a look at this game if it was 3D. Sort of like Rico Rodriguez except with whales instead of airplanes and helicopters.

10. SillyWizard says:

Did you mean “desiccated?”

Comment on this story