Broken Age Comes Out Today: Are You Going To Buy It?

By John Walker on January 28th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Today is likely to be one of the most interesting days for Kickstarter watchers. Broken Age, the adventure game that made the crowdfunding format a gaming household name, is out on sale today. Right now, in fact. So the question that’s left to be answered is: how many people are there who are interested in buying it, who weren’t interested in funding it?

The answer could be: tens or hundreds of thousands. That would be rather fantastic for all involved. With 87,142 backers on Kickstarter, and a further 8,413 “slacker backers” coming in since, that’s already pretty impressive ‘sales’ for an indie game. Nigh on 100k is nothing to be snorted at. Especially for a genre that is now certainly farther inside the margins. But if this is to be a working business model for many, it needs to go on to sell an awful lot more. The money from those 100k ($3,520,254) wasn’t enough to fund the complete project, it turned out – hence the split in two and the hope that sales from the first part can help fund the second. Then, presumably, a hope that it and the second part can themselves start to turn a profit. Clearly they have a head start on most projects, in that money already spent didn’t come from their own accounts. But they now need to find a whole new audience to pay the £19 (an awful lot more than the £9 the Kickstarter tier cost) for a full copy of the semi-released game.

I’ve been critical throughout Double Fine’s campaign (and indeed of many other KS-backed projects) that they’ve gone out of their way to advertise the game to those who already bought it, and heavily restricted promotional material from those who had not. It didn’t seem like good business to me. I can’t help but wonder what kind of public attention the game might have now if everyone had been able to follow along with the documentary as it happened, rather than the contingent who were getting the game whatever. (I also can’t help but wonder what difference it might have made to the potentially toxic nature of backer communities if the results of their donations had been for the many, not the few.) By deliberately restricting what could have been understood as extended commercials for the game, I fear that they’ve shot a portion of their potential sales in the feet.

I really hope I’m proven embarrassingly wrong. What a tremendous sight it would be to see Broken Age dominating Steam’s top spot, and bringing in a massive windfall to a superb development studio. It’s tough out there in a market dominated by multiplayer survival-me-dos, and it would be an enormous source of personal pleasure to see a single-player game up there.

Broken Age is a decent adventure. It’s not the stunning game-changer I was hoping for – it certainly isn’t up there with DOTT or Grim. However, what I’ve learned from a few of the extraordinarily positive reviews is that lots of journalists haven’t played an adventure game since the late 90s, and for them the act of returning to the genre is enough to win a great deal more affection. If that pattern is true for others, that distance from the format makes the heart grow fonder, then perhaps this trend will apply to the public too.

It’s worth noting that some of my biggest criticisms in my review have been addressed. The interface will be greatly improved in today’s launch version, now designed for PC rather than tablet. Of course, that doesn’t meant the game’s deepest flaw – the lack of a “look at” ability, thus rending a crucial layer of depth – has altered. But it’s still good news.

So now we’ll see. A solid game, a lot of public attention, but a great deal of secrecy, and obviously a huge proportion of the audience already own it: where does that go? From today we get to find out.

, , , .

1. RProxyOnly says:

I don’t buy ANY ks’er where the goals have not been met 100%

Releasing it delayed and in pieces does not count as ‘met’

• The Random One says:

I’d love to be able to do that to AAA games.

• RProxyOnly says:

I don’t buy many of them either unless they really tickle my bits, and even then ONLY if they don’t force some client pos on me.

Addendum.. I have a steam account solely for Castlevania:LOS 1 and 2 and the odd humble.

• Tuco says:

So, in short, you don-t buy much of anything and complain a lot about everything.
          Got it.

• RProxyOnly says:

There’s plenty of games out there for me to buy.

Poor KS’s and AAA’s that screw you aren’t the whole market…Do I have a huge backlog that I’ve bought and haven’t played, no.

• tasteful says:

rproxy you are designed for other websites

• fenriz says:

lol ciao tuco.

Sometimes we have to praise a game for the circumstances that brought it up, the sake of the genre, and for the possibility of more to come, and let go of criticisms. in a word, FORESIGHT.

it’s just how much you care about the genre.

• moocow says:

You’ll certainly save a lot of money with this policy, I don’t think I’ve seen a single Kickstarter that has met its original stated ship date (I’m sure there are a few out there though)

• RProxyOnly says:

Well I don’t really end up ‘saving’ the money.. but yeah you’re right there aren’t many that qualify, and most of what do, don’t appeal.

I will probably make allowances (:/) for Eternity, Numenura and I backed Divinity: Original Sin, that’s a keeper, that one.. but I do keep a close eye on the rest.

I do admit to missing out on some fine gaming.. but them’s the breaks

• Chalky says:

Wait wait wait wait…. you’re telling me that if the worlds most amazing game comes out tomorrow, you won’t buy it if it turns out it was on kickstarter and is 6 months late?

What if you buy it and have a really great time with it, but then someone lets slip that it was 6 months late coming out? Do you eat sand for a few days to punish yourself for enjoying something so hideous?

• RProxyOnly says:

And I have to justify myself to someone posting for no other reason than to disparage a point of view that doesn’t affect them, why?

You’ve read my post, take it or leave it.

• SillyWizard says:

Well, you put a pretty dumb opinion out there for the world to see. You don’t have to justify having a dumb opinion, but it’d be unreasonable to expect no one to call you out on how dumb it is.

• frightlever says:

He didn’t offer an opinion, he stated his position on the subject. You can disagree with his position, but his position is not an opinion it is a matter of, we can only assume, his personal truth.

If he’d said that in his opinion no-one should buy a KS that didn’t 100% meet it’s stated goals, then that would be an opinion.

And I’m sorry to bang on about this – I don’t agree with him but it would be nice if two people had a disagreement would at least read what the other was writing.

• Kal says:

“He didn’t offer an opinion, he stated his position on the subject.”
            That’s the definition of an opinion. Your argument is specious.

• InternetBatman says:

The original goal was to release an adventure game. They’ve fulfilled that obligation. Especially when considering multiple episode adventure games are fairly common, like Sam & Max.

• RProxyOnly says:

Honestly, it’s fine if you don’t hold the same opinion.. but my opinion is that if you “MAKE PROMISES” in order to part people from their money.. then those promises, in my opinion, better be filled to the letter… and nowhere in the pitch did they state an initial incomplete release with a staggered conclusion… so it ‘may’ be quite common now (although that has just become the case recently.. ‘mostly’ because of KS, although there have been exceptions previously).. but if the devs want that to be the case then they had better say so at pitch.

• Bull0 says:

By the sounds of it you didn’t back it, though. Which is kind of the point – not to say you don’t have a right to criticize from the sidelines, but that since you’re the kind of person that has a big problem with cutting people a break, crowdfunding probably isn’t for you.

• lhl says:

Just to clarify, what was promised directly from the pitch video: “So, what’s going to happen? No one can say for sure, but here’s my promise to you: either the game will be great or it’ll be a spectacular failure caught on camera for everyone to see. Either way, you win. What could possibly go wrong?”

I’m a bit sad that most people haven’t/won’t see the 10h+ of awesome documentary vids/interviews (2PP has done some of their best work ever IMO) that have been published so far, but I think Double Fine has more than lived up to their promises of being transparent and inclusive w/ the backers throughout this whole process in the forums and the doc episodes. I loved Act 1 and I can’t wait for Act 2, but I’m even happier about seeing the whole process first hand.

It’s up to you how you want to spend your time and money, but IMO, crowdfunding, early access, etc area all really positive trends for indie and self-published games – sure they’re not without risk, but you’re supporting creative development, not stamping out a widget. Heck, something delivered on-time, exactly as promised, without any challenges encountered during production might actually even be a negative signal…

• jasterkork says:

Strictly speaking, they were going to release a DRM-free adventure game. So no, they haven’t fulfilled their promise. Not that many people care, but still…

• RProxyOnly says:

Careful or you will be deluged by people outraged that you care.

basilisk says:

Which they are going to release, now that most of the patching work has been done. Even though it wasn’t originally planned for Act 1 alone.

• InternetBatman says:

Eh. It’s a fair criticism. SRR took forever to release a Linux port, and had that shitty debacle with the USB dog-tags. They did address it in the latest update though, saying it will be out in about a month.

• RProxyOnly says:

I think I made a long ranty (more than usual) post about this a while back.. it, and other facets of that release, REALLY did annoy me then but after my refund for my ‘fairly considerable’ (to me) investment it no longer impacts me although I certainly sympathise with those who may not be happy about that situation.

• Emeraude says:

One thing I can’t fault Harebrained Scheme with is not trying to hold on their promises.

I may have some other issues – especially in the execution, but I have to say that I have respect for them for trying to make rights.

Sad about my USB tas not working, but I can live with that.

Still eagerly waiting for Dragonfall next month in spite of all.

• Emeraude says:

Wait, did the rescind on the engagement ? If so I totally missed that.

basilisk says:

No. They just said they’d do a DRM-free release once they have a fully polished and stable build of the whole thing, because Steam’s auto-patching system is simply way more convenient for themselves and the players.

Now they’ve backtracked on that a bit and promised a DRM-free act one in a month or so, and a full package whenever that’s out.

• Emeraude says:

OK, so things are where I left them last time I checked.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.

• rustybroomhandle says:

RProxy – not going to try and talk you out of this policy of yours, but it’s really quite stupid. I am reminded of people who try and appear sophisticated by bitching about petty things in restaurants.

• RProxyOnly says:

And to me it seems stupid to spend money and reward ‘people’ who don’t/can’t live up to the conditions they themselves set when asking for one’s money.

I guess the world is full of people with contradictory ideas, hmm?

• rustybroomhandle says:

Mostly referring to your absurd criteria for it being “met”. Even at half-a-game they delivered more of a game than they initially promised, so uhm, yeah – you’re confused.

Lol.

Absurdity is accepting what ever gets thrown at you because you don’t seem to have enough of a backbone to stand up and call a spade a shovel.

Just remember, people only do to you what you let them do to you.. enjoy your late, incomplete, unsatisfactory purchases. I take it you understand our discourse is over.

• lukibus says:

That’s a seriously passive attitude to someone that you (I assume) paid money upfront for a game – to support the development of a game.

Do you have any negative feeling about what has been delivered? Or was it in line with what you actually expected?

• derbefrier says:

Obviously he came in here with a big chip on his shoulder and wanted to rant and rave about his dissapointment with this kickstarter. He’s probably been waiting for this all day :p

• RProxyOnly says:

Actually it’s probably just unfortunate that my post was first, rather than any recognition I may seek for perceived butthurt, but yeah, fuck me for daring to be honest.

• SillyWizard says:

It’s not the honesty that fucks you, it’s the idiocy.

I have the same problem sometimes. There are support groups.

• RProxyOnly says:

Well Sillywizard.. I would have considered the idiocy to be compulsion to reply three times in the same comment to say effectively the same thing… “Waaa, I hate your point of view”.. because you don’t say anything else.

Looks like we both have problems.

So for the sake of symmetry “Waa, I hate yours too”.

Next time try to at least come up with an actual counterpoint to what you disagree with.. I can be guilty of this myself, but I don’t ‘usually’ feel so insecure in an arguement that I have to punctuate it three time. Lol.

I’ll take honest idiocy over ignorant idiocy every day of the week…You just keep handing over your cash like a good drone. Sit.. staaaaay… Good boy. *pat* *pat*

• SillyWizard says:

That’s pretty rich, considering your flood of posts all over the thread. I posted my thoughts lower down, which presumably you’ve read and (surprisingly) have nothing with which to rebut them.

Gap Gen says:

Eh, people can do what they want with their money. At least RPO isn’t being a prick to the waiter or annoying other diners (to use your analogy).

Personally, I think it’s crazy to expect every KS promise to be met – there are so many unknowns in development, and your plans can turn out to be less fun than a slight variant on the idea you stumble upon while making it. Rather, just buy a KS game if it sounds good in itself. I totally get the desire to only buy it once it’s completed, though – while Part 1 does have a distinct ending, it’s also clearly only the end of the first act, which might be unsatisfying for someone wanting the whole package before they start playing.

• RProxyOnly says:

When it’s done on my dime it’s really about holding people up to their word and expecting transparency. not something they can just say now to get all the money then change things down the road, I get enough of that from big business, if there is a chance of that happening then they had better judge their abilities and budget to account for the creases in the road, isn’t that what proper project management is about? Otherwise you’re just doing a halfarsed job and selling a promise that can’t be relied on. Accountability for one’s word actually means something to me and I certainly wouldn’t let anyone else, in any other walk of life, away with it so I’m not going to let some leisure service away with it.

Gap Gen says:

Well, if you’re buying after the fact you’re not really beholden to those promises – you’re buying a finished product. As for fulfilling all project plans, I defy you to find a software project that finishes on time with its initial design document entirely intact. Would, say, Deus Ex have been a better game if was identical to its original design document? Highly doubt it. So I’d disagree with you for a combination of a) it’s impossible to predict how any software project will turn out with 100% accuracy and b) iterative design while the thing is being built makes games better, but will cause the finished product to deviate from the design document. Such is life.

• SillyWizard says:

In that case, feel free to keep your $15 contributions to yourself so the rest of us can stop having to skip over your kindergarten-esque, entitled posts.

Rarely (if ever) is anything in life ever accomplished according to preliminary (and for obvious reasons, optimistic) goals.

Shut up about it.

• unimural says:

RPO, you’re of course free to make whatever decisions, as a consumer, as you wish. However, with regards to transparency and accountability I honestly do not see how Double Fine has gone back on their word, or failed any of their promises. And I am honestly interested in understanding where you think they’ve done wrong. I guess they might run out of money and go out of business tomorrow, and fail to deliver the promised boxed copies, but excepting that they held on to their half perfectly.

I’m a backer, and I rather loved the first half. I do recommend waiting for part 2 before getting the game. However, I do rather disagree with your assessment of the promises made with regards to Double Fine Adventure. Many Kickstarted games unfortunately effectively sell preorders. Double Fine was, imo, perfectly clear about this being about the project instead of the end result. They weren’t selling a game, there were asking money to try and make a game while a bunch of guys make a documentary about it. The end result is not so much the game as it is the journey that will result in a adventure game of sorts.

I suppose I should clarify that from my perspective, anyone pledging to a kickstarter and fully expecting to receive something tangible is doing something wrong, either in their thinking or in their actions. To me Kickstarter is about giving money away because you buy into a fantasy. If all goes well, you might end up getting some silly things in return.

• Humppakummitus says:

Basically all popular kickstarter projects will be delayed, because developing the extra features takes time. That’s normal.

• danielfath says:

NEVER. BUY. ANY. SOFTWARE. EVER.

I can bet my behind that no piece of software managed to reach 100% of their initial goal in either money, quality or time took to make it.

PikaBot says:

Haha, fucking this. This fellow sounds as if he’s never had any experience seeing the sausage get made, in any creative medium.

• TheVGamer says:

If you backed it wanting a short little adventure game for $400k, they’ve delivered that and then some. If you backed it when it was already over the original goal, that’s your own fault. If you haven’t backed it in the first, place don’t bother with the pretentiousness.

Gap Gen says:

Note also that Tim Schafer admitted that the project could fail, and that the filming would at least be an entertaining account of why it failed if that happened.

jrodman says:

Well, if I were a non-backer, then I’d take the same action, waiting until ‘part 2′ came out before buying ‘part 1′ if the entire thing holds up according to those who have access to it.

However, as a backer, I “already bought” part 1, and do not feel like I’ve been shortchanged in any way. I’m currently pretty unclear if I “already bought” part 2 though. Maybe if I went to the backer site I would find out easily.

I’m unlikely to play it anyway until part 2 arrives.

Edit: I spent around 25 minutes on the backer site and still don’t know. It seems almost sad how much information is being put out about this game but yet how hard it is, as a backer, to quickly acquaint myself with the state of things. I think my takeaway is that it’s difficult to organize information for many audiences.

• Deepmist says:

They said from the beginning that the whole thing could be a disaster and no game gets released at all but at least they will be filming it, so by that measure they hit 1000% of their goals.

• Bull0 says:

You’re making the mistake of assuming he knows what he’s talking about.

• GepardenK says:

RProxyOnly: I think you have missunderstood what this KS was all about. They never promised that the game would be in one part, they never promised it would defenitly release at a specific time. Hell, they never even promised a game.

What they said was that they wantet people to donate to a project where they would try to make a P&C adventure game. They would film the whole thing and backers would get to see the footage. If, and only if, they managed to release a game then the backers would get it for free.

KS is about donating to a project you believe in, based on the project pitch and the people behind it. You are NEVER simply buying a product and the people you are donating to don’t owe you anything, ever

• Deckboy says:

No one pays for anything on KS if it’s not backed 100% that’s the point of KS. . .

Besides act 2 will be a free update – you won’t have to pay for it so, yes, it is 100% met, just delayed (just like a ton of other games have been delayed in the past, hellooo warcraft 3 anyone?)

2. Revolving Ocelot says:

I doubt any game will be outselling DayZ and Rust for at least 6 months, and then only the heavily hyped AAA fare after that.

As for Broken Age, I didn’t fund it (never funded any Kickstarters, for that matter) but I’ll be paying particular interest come Summer Sale time.

• Vinraith says:

Online Bastardry Simulators do seem to be the new hot genre. Like MMO’s before them, I don’t see the appeal, but to each their own.

• prian says:

I hope that there aren’t a lot of people who are foolish enough to pony up the $25 USD for what is said to be around 4 whole hours of playtime with little to no re-playability.

This game’s development just reeks of bad management practices and wasted time.

Rewarding this kind of behaviour in the market.. I sure hope it doesn’t happen. Maybe if they had popped this 4 hour chapter out at $5 USD – maybe. But $25 for this? If it is moderately successful I’ll be amazed but, then again, I suppose this genre hasn’t been very active so an overpriced mediocre something is better than nothing.

• UncleLou says:

I disagree so entirely with the attitude in your post* that I decided to buy it right now, backlog or not. Was pondering it anyway, so cheers for tipping the scales.

*Replayability as an argument against a point&click adventure, length as an argument for a game’s value, “suggestion” what it should cost that is completely ignorant of market realities, claims of mediocrity although you obviously haven’t played it, condescending attitude directed at buyers.

• dE says:

Oh my, what a dastardly rascal you are! The funny idea being that you didn’t buy it, because you thought you’d enjoy it… but you buying it because you wanted to spite some random person in some internet comment section.
          How progressive, it’s just so rebellious in nature, a born contrarian. Impressive. Which is not how I’d go about spending my money, but if your wallet is lush enough for that, go you.

Lol.

You owe me a new keyboard, I was holding a cuppa when I read this.

• UncleLou says:

Ha. Buying it obviously wasn’t a question of *if*, but when, hence me pointing out my backlog. Anyway, well played with the sarcasm, but my point stands, I found that post rather spiteful. And don’t worry, my wallet is pretty lush. Anything I can buy to antagonise you? :)

• SillyWizard says:

@UncleLou

The Banner Saga! I hate you! (Really I don’t, I just think everyone in the world should experience this brilliant and lovingly crafted game.)

• toxic avenger says:

Please add ignorance of an episodic release structure and lack of predicate particulate when writing a complete sentence.

• The Random One says:

Pretty much. For $25, I’d rather get 4 excellent hours rather than 10 mediocre hours. In fact, I welcome it. I tend to wait more for longer games since I’ll know they’ll eventually be heavily discounted and I won’t be playing them in a long time.

I probably wouldn’t spend $25 on Brage if I wasn’t a backer, but I still wouldn’t spend it if it was 60 hours long and had a New Game + mode.

• Vinraith says:

4 excellent hours or 10 mediocre hours aren’t the only options, though, and that’s really the point. The last $20 game I bought (XCOM, actually) has already given me 50 excellent hours and shows no sign of stopping. I look back at AI War and consider that for the $65 I’ve spent on it ($20 base, $10 each for four expansions, $5 for a smaller expansion) versus the 400+ excellent hours of entertainment it’s given me, then I look at a game that by its very nature can only entertain me for 8 hours. I can’t justify spending $25 dollars on something like that to myself. Certainly not when the market for PC games is as rich and diverse as it is!

People that are opposed to the “length matters” argument always want to make it about a few good hours versus a large number of mediocre hours, but that’s a false dichotomy from the outset. No one is arguing for quantity over quality, it’s just unclear to us why we can’t have both.

• Stevostin says:

X-Com is the perfect exemple in my book of “long play, poor play”. I am amazed by how much people have interest in a game that has such poor strategical value (Shadow Run is the same thing but done correctly + combat is just a part of it, not the whole thing, and there are a heap of way better turned based tactic games, so why to even spend a minute on one of the worst one). Also: well below average art on every front. Bland design, music, poor animations, fx, etc. I am quite mad at RPS for selling me so high a game that cheesy. Worst than the 20€, it’s the silly amount of time spend thinking “surely it has to become even remotely interesting at a point, hence the hype ?”. But no, one mission after the other of… basically one obvious correct way to play it and that’s all. I use to think that the one who likes is always right but at least regarding strategic gameplay, your expectations are very low if you think X-Com is anything but very bad to that regard.

• Kitsunin says:

Well, I think you’re right, Vinraith it isn’t about “Many bad versus few good” it’s more about whether the game is just systems that work, or a structured, well put together experience. You can create systems that continue to work and be fun and enjoyable for a long time, but if you want to make a story (Like point-n-click adventure obviously) it takes much more effort for the same level of quality & play-time (Never mind that a narrative story-less game can theoretically have infinite play-time). It’s like, the reason that you pay a certain amount for a book, and if the story is really long, then you pay again when the sequel comes out to continue the story.

It’s just, people seem to reject the idea of games that aren’t purely mechanical “Skill-testers”.

basilisk says:

Vinraith, you can’t have both because it’s simply impossible. Systems-driven and narrative-driven games are entirely different beasts in this respect. Not unlike, say, football and films. It’s meaningless to apply the same criteria to both.

There hasn’t ever been a point and click adventure that would take 50 hours to complete. The sheer amount of content you’d have to produce makes this economically absolutely infeasible. The only way to get to that playlength is to make your puzzles completely obscure and random, which is the approach taken by the first King’s Quest (also known as possibly the most cruelly designed adventure game ever, maybe after King’s Quest II).

• bill says:

It’s possible, but finite resources mean it’s unlikely for any kind of narative/cinematic game.

The point, I think, is that you might get both sometimes, but it wouldn’t be good to expect it all the time. The game and the story and experience it provides will define what is a good length.

Lord of the Rings wouldn’t work as well if it was 300 pages. But equally, adding 3000 pages to The Hobbit wouldn’t make it better. Cutting 10,000 pages out of Wheel of Time would have improved it drastically.

Some movies/books/games are too long, and some are too short, and some are just right. But what is ‘just right’ varies depending on the work in question.

PikaBot says:

Leaving aside the fact that judging game quality by length is a damnably silly way to do things, I’ve sunk three hours into it thus far without so much as touching Shay’s story. Whoever told you it was a four hour game is lying to you.

welverin says:

It’s not that far, I’ve seen others state that and it’s fairly accurate to my play through.

I spent far more time on Vella’s story than I did on Shay’s. Not sure if that’s just because it’s longer or I was more in tune with the game by the time I got to Shay’s part and thus made better time.

basilisk says:

The price is actually for the whole thing, i.e. presumably some 8 to 9 hours of content, which feels quite alright for a point and clicker. Also, I thought that by now everyone understands that “length = quality” is a perfectly ridiculous argument.

• 2helix4u says:

I do miss games that used to be long though. I understand why they aren’t, since the cost and time of development is much higher now but most games I’ve played in the last few years that are good end at about the time that I hope I’m finishing Act 2 of 3. XCOM is probably the most recent mainstream game I felt like I got enough game out of. In the last decade or so its become a big thing to talk about how length doesn’t matter but I actually think it does, for the food analogy everyone loves, its fine if your ingredients are way better but I’d still rather not be hungry at the end of a meal.

Its obviously better to play a 4 hour good game than a 24 hour bad one (yeah, thats right, none of this 12 hour bush-league nonsense), but I’d rather play a 24 hour good game than a 4 hour one, all other things equal. Then again I don’t have kids. Its the same with books for me though, if I really like a book I want it to be 900 pages so I can steep in the world for a while.

I think it might be because nowadays so few games stand on their own, they’re all meant to be trilogies or endless sequels, I probably wouldn’t mind a 4-8 hour game if it wrapped up its story which at least Broken Age seems like it will. Rather than stuff like Last of Us where its like “Oh man how are they gonna resolve this… oh right they aren’t, of course there will be at least 2 more games, now I feel stupid for thinking it’d be a full experience”.

Bury The Hammer says:

Also consider some games lend themselves much more to longer, more entertaining experiences, and some don’t. I’m a big fan of science fiction short stories, which tend to make an interesting point, and leave you to think about it. When you start to expand the universe, unless you’ve got a lot to say, you can end up watering down what made your story good in the first place.

I mean, would Super Hexagon be all that better a game if it had a 50 hour long story mode? It just doesn’t apply itself to the idea. Something like Skyrim/etc does though – it ties into what RPGs tend to do best: exploration, which just isn’t as much fun if it’s over in a couple of hours.

Bury The Hammer says:

20 quid is not really that much money for 4 hours of entertainment, given that you could easily spend that on a nice meal out (which would last less time) or seeing a couple of films at the cinema, etc. It depends how fun those hours are. If it was 30 hours long and played like utter tripe, would it be a reasonable deal still?

I get that maybe it’s not the game for you, but it’s not that unreasonable of a deal in and of itself. I’m getting to the point where work and family and all that crap mean I’d prefer a smaller, more concentrated, fun experience than an artificially inflated one.

(although, as a side-note, I’ve eked out 35 hours of playtime from Borderlands 2, which I picked up from the Steam xmas sale for a fiver, which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed – so I get that in comparison to other games on steam, it’s relatively pricey, but that’s only because gaming is, in comparison, a cheap hobby)

3. Scumbag says:

I intend to play it…
    at 75% off in a sale.

4. Evil Pancakes says:

The game sounds fun enough, but then again I was never a huge adventure game fan.
    I’ll buy it once part 2 comes out or it goes on sale, whichever comes first.

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

This is not a genre I usually buy within, and this game itself hasn’t changed that habit, however there are a number of space games that I will almost certainly buy when they come out (unless they end up being X-Rebirth: The Second). So I hope that potential failure of this game alone does not overly dent faith in the model, as the intended audience for these games will obviously vary. KS’s ability to foster games that the normal financial model would leave stranded needs to be kept.

• X_kot says:

I’m of the same mind: this isn’t a genre that appeals to me, so I didn’t back it, nor will I buy it. I am very interested in seeing whether this game has legs in the actual market. There are a few questions this peculiar scenario could answer:

* Is Kickstarter a beneficial platform for a middle-tier developer?
      * Do nonbackers care about the whole story behind the KS, or do they evaluate it solely on the reviews of the final product?

6. DuneTiger says:

I have to say, in my experience with Kickstarter, I’m not too keen on backing video games. I think many, despite Double Fine’s pedigree, of the people starting projects out there don’t really have any clue on what goes into full game development. It’s not uncommon (though not common) for video games kickstarters to be like “Heh, oops. We need more money, guys.”

On the flip side, I wouldn’t write kickstarter off entirely. It seems to work very very well for board games (minus the few-and-far-between people who want funding for print-and-play games… I don’t get that). On all the successful board game kickstarter projects (of which there have been many), you are pretty much presented with the prototype that’s already been developed and tested (mostly). So what you’re left with is simply funding the actual production run which normally keeps goals small, allowing for insanely cool stretch goals and backer exclusives. Whether or not you want to part with $200 for all them little plastic figures, however, is another story.

• RProxyOnly says:

Not uncommon to ask for more money?

It seems required these days.

• skutbag says:

Interesting point about the respective supply chains involved and risk of backing something that physically exists vs. something that only exists inside someones head

slerbal says:

Nope. Sorry, no plans to buy it. I know this is heresy but I’ve never found the appeal in Double Fine games. It just doesn’t appeal on any level to me – artwork, story or concept.

That said, I wish them luck – my personal rejection of their game is just that: personal. If there is a market out there to be found, I am sure they will find it :)

• RProxyOnly says:

In all fairness I adored Psychonauts from day 1 release.. but nothing he’s put out after that has the quirkiness or substance to come close to that.

Plus the fact he’s been the console’s bitch seemingly ever since so his relevance, to me, is way off radar.

EDIT.. having re-read this post, I recant on the ‘bitch’ comment, it was unnecessary.

welverin says:

Interesting you say he, because Tim only directed Brutal Legend and Double Fine Action Theater (or is it Happy Action Theater?), all the other games in between this and BL were by other people at DF.

Thurgret says:

I’m glad to see that I’m not alone in holding this particular sentiment. The artwork in particular just doesn’t do it for me. It’s apparent that a bunch of work has gone into it, but I just don’t like it very much. Something about the style.

• Tssha says:

That’s more than fair, and it’s certainly reasonable to say “I just don’t like it, dunno why” for ANY game. I wouldn’t begrudge anyone for saying that. Hell, there are more than a few really good games that I can’t enjoy either for some reason. Baldur’s Gate for instance.

When others say “and those who DO like the game are idiots”, THAT’S when my hackles are raised.

It’s like the YouTube video says, “It’s okay to not like things! It’s okay, but don’t be a dick about it”. ;)

8. kwyjibo says:

Well I backed it, so will get it. But I’m not going to get around to it until the thing is finished.

9. Stevostin says:

It depends on reviews. That being said The Cave had pretty poor reviews and I really liked it. There is something charming and different with everything Double Fine do. I’d happilly buy it at a sale, like I do for 95% of the games I buy.

• Stevostin says:

Actually i just watched the video, this is amazing. May want to buy immediately.

• InternetBatman says:

I enjoyed the Cave, but didn’t love it. This is far better than the Cave.

• KevinLew says:

As an owner of The Cave, I can say that The Cave is really terrible even from a game design standpoint. The game is just loaded with grind and that’s what makes it very irritating. To experience the story behind each character, you have to play the same character at least two times for a bare minimum of six complete playthroughs. On top of this, you’re more-or-less forced to see the same filler chapters each time like the Zoo or the Island. By the sixth time, the jokes in common areas like the Gift Shop aren’t even remotely funny. The worst part is that after all your work, the ending story for each character is nothing but a single static image in the menu screen.

• Emeraude says:

The thing that really disappointed me with The Cave is that I was expecting the combination of character to change the way you approached the game – à la Maniac Mansion if you will.

The fact that each character was just a compartmentalized set of problems with no relation to the others was really what killed the game for me.

• Stevostin says:

Why would you play each character twice ? to see both endings ? That is silly. The point of the structure is to entice you to stick to your decisions, hence giving them value. You’ve been offered good wines and mixed it with diet coke. Well, there was nothing wrong with the wine, only with the drinker :P

The riddle aren’t hugely remarkable but they’re working, are fine-tuned to avoid long frustration that would hamper the whole experience. I am not in those games for the gameplay first. That being said I am often pleasantly surprised by interesting gameplay bits that double fine is able to pull out in their games.

basilisk says:

Even if you play each character once, the game takes three playthroughs to see all of their stories. Which means passing the shared areas (including the god-awful “three minecarts” and “slowly push the boat way over there” sequences) three times, and either repeating two characters’ sections twice or one character’s three times. I still don’t understand how is it possible that no one told Ron Gilbert this was an incredibly stupid idea.

• Widthwood says:

It was deliberate – he wanted players to replay with their favorites of the bunch the third time. Can’t find the source obviously, might’ve been some interview or maybe even video.

basilisk says:

Alright, but why not throw an optional “skip sequence” button in there? I have already demonstrated I can do this bit. Do I really have to do it again? Just… why?

• Widthwood says:

I absolutely agree… I didn’t like cave at all and read everything I could find to try to figure out how did Ron got it so wrong.
            The general feeling formed that Ron had his own reasons for every little thing, but basically not enough playtesting and/or rigidity of his views didn’t allow to fix things when something backfired or when he was just plain wrong.

Like with lack of inventory – it turned the game into boring backtracking grind, but his reason was – it should’ve made the game SIMPLER because nowadays general public is not used to having an inventory.

Or platforming, that was bland and unsatisfying and unnecessary – his reason was that direct control made a more engaging experience. Though obviously he wasn’t fond of platformers too much himself, otherwise he would fine tune it to death till it felt perfect like in meat boy.

• Widthwood says:

It’s funny how everyone dissed The Cave for having too much grind – which actually had much less grind than most of the old-school platformers or adventures.
        But now that Broken Age is more streamlined without any artificial backtracking – it’s being dissed for being too simple and short.

Lars Westergren says:

I backed it, so I’ve already gotten it. I finished act 1, and it was FANTASTIC. For me it really brought back the atmosphere and distinct art I remembered from games like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango. I really hope it does well in sales. I intend to buy it again for Android, when it arrives.

• sd4f says:

I also backed it and loved it. Can’t wait for act 2. One thing that isn’t discussed much on here is the documentary. If the game was a failure, it alone would have been worth it, but the game being really good, coupled with the documentary, the overall package is really excellent.

Yachmenev says:

I guess you can look it in two ways.

1. They didn’t market the game as well as they might have could.
    2. They have for two years put in a fantastic effort to let those who pledged be a part of a lovely project, never shying away from responsibilities or hard question, and letting us contribute while still not loosing the grip of their own vision.

I know which option I’m looking at. The deserve enormous amount of praise for what they have done for the backers, the ones who actually did pledge their money, and not just might have done it.

12. BurningPet says:

Since its on Steam top 10 sellers and was above top 50 for a while, it will probably sell the same or even more copies than the numbers of backers they had during their kickstarter campaign. (judging by our game’s experience which might vary depending on the season and “competing games” on the top sellers list)

Carra says:

Bought it through KS and played it… until the game bugged out halfway through it, can’t continue from my save game.

I’ll have to check if they fixed it.

Lars Westergren says:

I had that too last weekend (I only had one save, but the game said every save file was corrupt), but it was only for a few hours.

• Shinan says:

I also got stuck halfway through (Shay kept standing on his bed and nothing responded to clicks) but then after a patch I was able to continue with my old save file so that was fortunate.

14. Retro says:

I wish there was a way to buy the soundtrack seperately (I backed it, got my money’s worth purely from watching the excellent excellent documentary, but didn’t go for the ‘+soundtrack’ tier back then..)

Edit: waddaya know.. http://doublefine.bandcamp.com/album/broken-age-original-soundtrack

15. Granja says:

A lot of people are buying it, it seems. It is on 4 in the top sellers list, losing only to things like Rust, Day Z and Insurgency.

Go adventure games!

Stellar Duck says:

Probably not. At least not right now. After The Wolf Among Us I’m done with buying episodic games before they’re out. Aside from that, the art style doesn’t really work for me.

Aside from that, it’s not like I’ve been lacking in adventure games. It frustrates me a little that people sometimes claim that Schaefer rebooted the adventure genre. That’s doing a huge disservice to Dave Gilbert and the games he’s been putting out, not just himself, but also publishing via Wadjet Eye.

Resonance still has a special place in my heart and Vince Twelve has my eternal gratitude for that game. Gemini Rue was excellent as well.

Yachmenev says:

As good as Wadjet Eye’s games are, they have not made big splash in terms of getting attention for the genre, which Double Fine and Telltale have.

Stellar Duck says:

No, they haven’t. But they certainly kept the genre ticking while Schaefer was busy making Brütal Legend and what not.

And while TellTale have made a big splash and indeed make enjoyable games, calling them adventure games is becoming more and more of a stretch. And let’s be frank: back when TTG released the first season of Sam & Max nobody, save for die hards like myself, gave a toss. This was true basically all the way up to Walking Dead.

Edit: and that’s me forgetting Amanita Design, King Art and Daedalus (though the latter are a bit of a mixed bag).

• skutbag says:

I agree that ‘big splash’ games like Walking Dead are – for the majority – what makes a big impact. I think WD deserved all the praise it got, it was great. Sometimes success doesn’t find the worthy but there we are.

Stellar Duck says:

I enjoyed TWD immensely. One of my best gaming related experiences in whatever year it came out.

I’m just frustrated when people talk about how Shaefer revived the adventure genre while there has been great adventure games coming out for a long while.

• The First Door says:

This isn’t supposed to be an attack, but I really don’t understand why people don’t like the art style of this game! It’s just beautiful to me to both look at and play and it fits the style of the narrative. As much as I like games like Gemini Rue, it’s so nice to play an adventure game with a different art style to the pixelated retro style. See Broken Sword too.

17. InternetBatman says:

I backed it and absolutely loved it. The art is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, the VO is spot on, the puzzles are sometimes challenging without being obtuse.

Jeez this article was just plain snide. Of course the kickstarter tier should be cheaper than the game at release. The kickstarter backers took a risk and the price should be adjusted accordingly. This site and this author don’t offer the same kind of petty belly-aching about games with alpha funding payment schemes (which incorporate the same risk), like Prison Tycoon, Minecraft, or Castle Doctrine.

18. SaintShion says:

I just want to throw up my support for this one. I’m currently playing the first Act, having Kickstarted the project before. The animation is lovely, the gameplay is simple and easy to play, and the voice acting is really good. I’m really enjoying the game so far. It’s really quite lovely.

19. derbefrier says:

I will buy it as soon as its finished. Adventure games are about story,if the story isn’t finished I see no reason to but it now. It does look pretty good though.

• mechabuddha says:

Same here. I’m entirely willing to shell out the cash for this, but I want the whole story.

• Krouv says:

Me too. The game looks gorgeous and the setting has instantly grabbed my attention, so I’d rather not ruin the experience by having to wait months to see the ending.

20. rustybroomhandle says:

John – any chance of RPS watching and reviewing the documentary series? I ask because it is/was a large part of what was pitched in the original Kickstarter. In fact, it was the only thing they committed themselves to actually delivering, so it’s only fair that it gets some attention/scrutiny.

I expect perhaps two or three more episodes though before it becomes available en masse.

• Ocki says:

Are you sure, they will release the documentary for everyone? I thought it was only for the backers?

Gap Gen says:

I can’t imagine them not releasing it at a markup at a later date.

• John Walker says:

Were they to release it publicly, we’ll likely write about it. As it is, it wouldn’t be any use to readers who’ll have watched it, or won’t be able to watch it.

21. Pazguato says:

John, try to watch the documentaries (without spoilers now), I’m sure you’ll gain a lot of perspective on the game and its reasons and whys. It’s a revealing and a very interesting thing to watch and I’m sure it will change your mind in a few things.

As an old (or should I say veteran?) adventure gamer, I can’t understand your fixation with the look ability. It’s gone (like pixel hunting), if you want to look at something: it’s on the screen, painted. :) Now serious: I don’t miss the ability and I think this game doesn’t ask for it.

• dolgion1 says:

The look ability has two functions:
      1. of course, it’s used to expose to the player what a thing actually is, in old adventure games with low-fi graphics, this was pretty crucial
      2. it gives the game an opportunity to show its character. Lots of the humor in the LucasArts adventures was in the comments the protagonist would give when asked to describe something in the environment.

There were so many funny lines just enabled by that one ability. That’s the real loss here. But I’m finding myself not mourning it all that much. There’s plenty of personality and humor in the game already. I wouldn’t mind them adding it retrospectively with a patch though.

22. coldvvvave says:

23. YogSo says:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist – I found the “Space Seed” episode of Star Trek TOS in YouTube this past weekend and immediately proceeded to watch that and The Wraith of Khan back to back :P)

• Waltorious says:

THE WRAITH OF KHAN

HE HAUNTS OUR DREAMS

• YogSo says:

Oh, hahahah, I missed that typo :P

Wait a moment… “From Hell’s heart I stab at thee”… IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW :D

• InternetBatman says:

From what I could tell, the community is fine. It just seems like John is bellyaching because the kickstarter business model doesn’t rely on press nearly as much.

fupjack says:

for all the quantitative measurements of the game – length of time played, cost, etc., there’s this: I have played it with my nearing-teenage children for several hours already. They’ve loved it. It’s worth the money, for that.

I know, I know – subjective experience, I have kids and you may not, etc… I am not describing this as a prescriptive way to play the game that requires finding a mate and producing children 13 years before game release. It’s an example of the quality of the game, and maybe part of what makes it different from many other games, kickstartered or not.

25. Notelpats says:

My girlfriend and I both loved Stacking and Costume Quest, so naturally Broken Age sure looks interesting.

However, will probably wait until it’s 100% done.

• danielfath says:

I finished it and it’s a rather lovely game, but the game ends mid sente

26. Text_Fish says:

John Walker, I’ve never really understood your criticism’s of DF’s “privacy” when it comes to the documentary and now they’re even less clear to me. The documentary was never intended to be a publicity vehicle, so much as an interesting reward for the backers. I’m sure all those KS projects that dish out branded t-shirts would also benefit from great publicity if they gave the t-shirts out freely, but that would somewhat defeat their purpose of being a backer reward.

27. aepervius says:

I have watched a few let’s play, and frankly, while I love adventure game, this game did not hook me up. If you do not get hooked up after 20-40 minutes for a circa 4h game, then you can forget it.

• Text_Fish says:

Personally I don’t think a “Let’s Play” could really do justice to any point & click adventure, simply because it won’t engage your brain in the same way that actually playing the game should.

• Pazguato says:

Indeed. It’s like watching someone thinking for you: not fun.

• Emeraude says:

The same could be said for mostly any “Let’s play” for any game really.

That’s really on modern development I can’t really fathom. Kinda depresses me in a way. The idea that people would prefer to at someone play instead of playing themselves to make their opinion does seem to hint at a change in demographics I guess.

Stellar Duck says:

But is there a demo I could try? If not, then how do you propose people can get an idea about the game before actually paying for it, if not for a Let’s Play?

• Text_Fish says:

I guess they can’t.

Stellar Duck says:

Indeed. So why would I throw 23€ at it?

• Text_Fish says:

Because of things and stuff, y’know. And the gubbins.

Seriously, that’s the most suitable answer I can give to that question. On a less rhetorical (I hope?) note, have you never bought anything without trying a demo or watching a “Let’s Play”? If so, you’re missing out.

Stellar Duck says:

I have. But mostly things that were either very cheap or that I highly wanted. Broken Age is rather expensive and I’m not convinced I’ll like it.

And for the record, I don’t generally watch Let’s Plays of new games aside from the occasional Total Biscuit when I’m feeling up to listening to him. The ones I generally watch are Baldur’s Gate runs and flight sims like IL2 Sturmovik and a few Silent Hunter 3 ones.

• Pazguato says:

Read.

Stellar Duck says:

So… reading about someones experiences with a game is fine while watching someone talk about a game while playing is “having someone think for you”? Alright.

• derbefrier says:

yes there is quite a bit a difference between watching a lets play and reading a review\preview. surely thats obvious.

Stellar Duck says:

Of course there is. But I don’t see why one is valid and the other isn’t. Well, previews are always garbage but that’s a given.

If there isn’t a demo I think a LP is a completely valid way of finding out if the game is to your liking.

All that said, I don’t actually watch Let’s Plays aside from some Baldur’s Gate ones as they’re generally not very interesting. But I certainly don’t see any problem in people watching one.

• Text_Fish says:

I’d say “Let’s Plays” are okay for more skill orientated or sandboxy games, but I just can’t see any point in watching someone else try and figure out a point & click adventure. Using it as a basis on which to judge the game seems doubly weird.

28. shadow9d9 says:

Nope, they made a cake walkthrough adventure game that lasts 3 hours. Ridiculous and an insult to those who wanted an old school adventure.

• rustybroomhandle says:

How do you know it lasts 3 hours… They’ve only released half of it thus far. You must be one of them touched by the devil folks what can see the footcha.

29. Shazbut says:

I’ll consider when it’s done

30. Lemming says:

I really want to buy it, but I want the whole game, not a bit of it. So not yet, no.

31. airtekh says:

Nope.

Going to wait until the rest of the game is released to make my mind up.

32. DrManhatten says:

• DrManhatten says:

And forgot to add I rather buy the next installment in Blackwell series which comes out later this year (hopefully)

• pkt-zer0 says:

Here’s an idea: buy both. Broken Age is really quite good, and markedly different from the Blackwell games in tone. Epiphany was supposed to come out in January, btw, current estimate is still February/March. It might well come out before the second part of Broken Age even so.

• DrManhatten says:

Sorry no can-do too expansive and most Double Fine games have disappointed me so far don’t know why they are hyped that much.

33. PopeRatzo says:

Point-and-click adventure? Not a chance.

I’m holding out for Lego Kagemusha.

34. Entitled says:

I didn’t plan to buy it when it was sold as an old-school Schafer comedy, but I’m a sucker for artsy whimsical coming-of-age stories, so here I come.

Keymonk says:

It’s a super, super pretty game, but I don’t think so. Not until there’s a sale.

36. Monkeh says:

Going to hold out till the full story has been released, but definitely getting it then. Still got plenty of point&click games I should finish in the meantime though.

caff says:

I bought it. I liked it. It’s got a warm personality.

But… after a week or so the afterglow has worn off and I’ve looked at it critically. There’s not a lot of game, and the puzzles and interface are pretty basic (at least in the first chapter).

So – I’d wait for a sale and pay around £10 for the whole experience.

skalpadda says:

Everything I’ve seen of it so far makes it look like something I’d enjoy so yes I’ll buy it, though I’m not in a rush as I’m working away on other games at the moment. The €23 price tag seems reasonable given that the game ended up much bigger than initially planned and involves none of the risks of being an early backer.

39. JanusForbeare says:

I haven’t followed it too closely, but I’ve always been confused about the who the intended audience is supposed to be for this game. It has all the trappings of a kid’s game, and yet the folks at Double Fine turned to the arguably adult demographic of “people who back things on KS” (successfully, I must admit). Where is the appeal for an adult demographic? Is it about nostalgically reliving ye goode olde Sierra days, when adventure games were all the rage? I just don’t get it.

To answer the question posed in the article – no, I won’t be buying it. Linear, episode-based games just aren’t my cup of tea. Interesting concept, though, and I have to admit that the art is lovely.

welverin says:

What trappings of a kids game?

• JanusForbeare says:

I don’t know, the way everything is anthropomorphized, the bright, primary-colour theme, protagonists that are kids/teens, the mobile sitting in the ship’s cockpit in the second picture, take your pick. Superficially, it looks like a kids’ game to me. As I said before, I haven’t really been following its development and know very little about it, so I can only go by the (very) few articles I’ve read and the screencaps I’ve seen.

• GepardenK says:

This is very much an adult game. Much more so than most P&C adventure games

40. Frank says:

No. I won’t buy it. Like most other people commenting on RPS (I suspect), I backed it already!

Jackablade says:

One of the things that came through strongly on today’s documentary episode is that if Broken Age is successful – successful in this case meaning selling at least 500,000 copies, it’ll set Double Fine to a point where they can go fully independent. They’ve been limping along for years with dribs and drabs of money coming in from small games and by the sounds of things, barely getting by.

Simply put, if you’re a fan of what they do it might be worth considering paying full price for Broken Age to support the studio. I dare say it’ll be worth it if it means getting more, larger Double Fine games in future and seeing the studio continuing to exist.

• Viceroy Choy says:

They actually are fully independent (not being forced to take every deal from publishers, but being able to choose) as of now, according to the Rev3Games interview with Tim :D

42. Viceroy Choy says:

“Clearly they have a head start on most projects, in that money already spent didn’t come from their own accounts.”

That is clearly not true and you know it John.

I advise to anyone that is waiting for the whole thing: PLAY IT NOW. It’s really quite good (also, if you watch the documentary, any episodes going forward assume you have played Part 1).

43. rpsdan says:

Do I want to buy a fully-realised, complete (I can’t stand ‘episodic’ games – sorry) Tim Schafer adventure game? You betcha.

Am I going to buy it? Maybe.

If I do or not depends on three criteria being fulfilled: the first is that it is released as a full, complete game, requiring neither updates nor patches; something that I am able to get the full experience and enjoyment out of as it stands. I want the story to be complete and self-contained, delivered with a single purchase and single install.

The second criterion is that it must be _completely_ DRM free. By that I mean that I won’t need any connection to the Internet at _any_ point – ever.

The third criterion is that the game must be available as a DVD, purchasable preferably through a local retailer (Australia). Online is fine, but I want a physical copy of the game delivered to me; I will not download a 2GB+ file (ep1 is ~1GB).

Now, that may all sound a little bit restrictive but those are my terms for buying _any_ video game. Which, I suppose, is why the vast majority of my gaming purchases are for my consoles.

So, if you’re reading this Mr. Schafer, there’s a person right here who would love to buy this game and would support future offerings from Double Fine, but I will not change my terms even for the most promising game. If you want to make your games available to me under terms that I find acceptable then I will buy them. If you don’t then, well, I won’t.

• sd4f says:

I would normally agree with what you said, but the by the looks of things, you missed the boat. The kickstarter ended almost two years ago. Fortunately I went for a boxed edition of the game. It will be DRM free, and the documentary comes on Bluray. However, I’m not too sure what the likelihood of the game getting released now with a physical edition of the game is. Their die hard fans quite literally have bought it already. But anything can happen, they are making boxed copies after all.

When the game is done, it will have a digital DRM free version of it. That’s probably your best option. It’s on steam at the moment, and I guess they didn’t want too much leaking of the game from the ~90,000 backers. I can live with that, but yep, my boxed copy better not have any DRM on it.

• rpsdan says:

And that’s one disappointing thing about it – I did miss the Kickstarter drive as I only heard about it months after it had finished. I’m kind of busy, generally, so sometimes I go months at a time without doing more than skimming games news.

That was, like I said, disappointing – to be told that I couldn’t join Tim Schafer’s exclusive “I’m so hip and on twitter and into crowdsourcing and backing the latest thing” club, just because I found out about it after he’d already shut the doors and declared: “we’re full; go away”.

I don’t trawl through Kickstarter looking for things to support on the off chance one appeals to me and I generally only visit gaming sites every once in a while to check upcoming releases or a specific game I have seen on the shelves at my local store. So, I was shut out of Tim’s little club and told I couldn’t be part of it because my lack of online interaction and attentiveness is clearly a sign that I am not really deserving of whatever special treatment he cooked up for his most devoted fans.

Not like I bought Psychonauts and, later, Brutal Legend purely on the strength of the Schafer brand (having, like many, loved the Monkey Island series, DOTT and Grim Fandango).

Bitter? Yes, now that you ask.

• lhl says:

They had their slacker backer page open until a few weeks ago, which is now closed… If you’re really a mega-fan I bet that if you bugged someone at DF and threw money at them they would sell you a boxed copy since they’re going to be doing production/manufacturing anyway – just keep in mind that the limited-run boxed copies were at the $100+ up level so I doubt you could get one for less than that.

I’m not a big DRM fan in general, but I’ll take Steam over the old copy protection wheel anytime. :)

basilisk says:

So radical.

• Widthwood says:

If you buy it on steam or wherever else I can mail you a DVD with DRM free version when that becomes available.

No, seriously. Mailing a CD even from another continent is basically free and for once you would be actually using the DRM-free game’s advantages.
      It might take some time to arrive, but maybe fellow Australians would want to help you out?

44. Moraven says:

” lots of journalists haven’t played an adventure game since the late 90s, ”

Which i feel is part of the problem and this is getting over hyped as the great adventure game. While fewer there are been great adventure games the past decade. Lots just did not bother looking and had other new games to try and play.

Bury The Hammer says:

I find this strange, as well, because some of them have been hugely popular. Did nobody play Machinarium?

• Widthwood says:

There were also lots of German ones. But production-values-wise they basically copy Fable (not the Molinuex one, the mid-nineties adventure game), which is ok for niche game – farming simulators also don’t rival crysis in graphics department, but not good enough to try to return adventure genre back to being mainstream.

Broken Age on the other hand is prettier. And has proper music, and proper voices, and actual dialogue, etc. Judging from the point of being “close to current AAA standards” BA is really the first adventure game in a long long time..

That being said, giving 9.5 to a pre-release code of clearly a unfinished game is ridiculous.

45. Thoma says:

I’m in the crowd that will likely purchase it once the second part comes out as well. Until then I will keep away from it as much as I can to stay as spoiler free as possible.

46. Screamer says:

I backed it, and played the first Act and it’s lovely! The hipster/cheapskate non-backer crowd who only play glitchy openworld zombi games are missing out.

47. Bull0 says:

Backed the KS, very much enjoyed Act I, looking forward to Act II. Sorry, don’t have anything controversial to add. Have played some other adventures since the 90s, so it isn’t the nostalgia that did it for me – it was mostly the game’s charm.

Colthor says:

No, I like games with systems and mechanics in them. Not things where the puzzles are arbitrary riddles, and every riddle is “what joke did the developer just think of?”, and if you can’t guess it’s time to brute-force use everything on everything because there are no underlying rules for you to work from.

Don Reba says:

It took me about five hours to pass DFA. Because, you know, with those actors, you have to find every line of dialogue in the game. That it was somehow made for tablets is patently untrue — if it were, it would not have required the player to mouse over things to find out what can be clicked — and besides, the only significant UI change that was made was to allow using inventory items without drag-and-drop.

Anyway, I backed the game, so I am not buying it. But if I had money, I would have gifted it to all my friends. It’s good. Congratulations go to Double Fine.

50. bantamsam says:

While I am not on the side of cynics and nay-sayers, I do think John does make a valid point about the documentary series. As a backer, I felt like I already got my money’s worth from the documentary alone, which was well put together, thoughtful, and all around fantastic. Myself and other backers, at this point, feel a massive amount of loyalty and empathy towards Tim and his team, and I do wonder how releasing that into the public would change things. For example, when the new release schedule was announced, backers were largely sad, but understanding, because we saw what led to that decision, while the general public and press were less than forgiving. I get having it as a backer only item for lets say the first two weeks to a month, but after that, I think it would behoove them to release to everyone else.

While I am a backer, my girlfriend is not, but she watches the episodes of the documentary with me and bought Broken Age yesterday because of how much she loves the team, and loved what she had seen of the game thus far (she also convinced a friend of hers to buy it too). Having played it, l loved the first chapter, and cannot wait for the second. I can’t blame anyone for waiting for a sale, but I do think it is worth your while, and if you want to support Double Fine as well as getting a fantastic adventure game that is beautiful, brimming with personality, and has some top notch voice acting, then I would say absolutely go for it.

• bantamsam says:

TL; DR: Releasing the documentary to the general public would be a good idea, but even if they don’t Broken Age is great and well worth buying.