LoL Gets 27 Million Players A Day And Other BIG NUMBERS

By Nathan Grayson on January 28th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Time for more numbers from the LUDICROUSPHERE, aka League of Legends. The MOBA with mo’ mo(nies) than any other ba is now at 27 million players per day. 27 million different people. Every day. And per month? 67 million unique human beings, each snowflakes in their own rights, all crashing blizzard-like into Riot’s behemoth. Those are impressive numbers, certainly. RPS, however, would like to announce some even more impressive numbers.

SPACE (Jan. 28, 2014) - Rock, Paper, Shotgun Ltd, the same thing as Rock, Paper, Shotgun©, Rock Paper Shotgun, RPS, and Battlefield21.com, is proud to announce that there are 7.139 billion people on Earth. “This level of success is totally unprecedented,” said RPS co-founder and co-director Jim Rossignol. “By all accounts, humans should’ve extinguished themselves from the planet’s surface countless times by now. And yet, here they remain. I’d like to think RPS can take most, if not all the credit for that.”

Moreover, we’re ecstatic to bring you news that there are 170 million insects on the planet for every single one of those people. That puts insects’ overall GPOEABKG (Gross Product Of Existing And Being Kinda Gross) at 10 quintillion. RPS, a subsidy of planet Earth, considers the entire insect population a very close business partner. We’re honored to be continuing that relationship somehow in the coming months.

“There are big things on the way,” said editor and co-director John Walker. ”Or should I say, ‘bug things,’” he cheekily added before being harshly reprimanded by an ant queen for conflating the terms “bugs” and “insects.”

But we’ve saved our biggest announcement for last. While changing his child’s thoroughly soiled diaper, editor Alec Meer had the sudden realization that it’d be impractical and perhaps even impossible to count the total number of rocks, papers, and shotguns on Earth. “It’s utterly mad,” he gasped, eyes still wide from the revelation. “I mean, let’s just start with rocks. A single gravel pit could contain upwards of a trillion rock fragments. Throw in other gravel pits, playgrounds, random rocks scattered in jungles – the total number is positively astronomical. And papers and shotguns on top of that? With new ones being made every day? The number approaches infinity.”

We have thus decided to declare our website’s name a direct relative of Horace, the infinite bear deity we all serve with every word and deed.

For the next fiscal year, we predict even more outrageous numbers. We are not able to provide details yet, but suffice it to say, Project Googolplex should yield incredible results. “A Googolplex is a really big number, you guys,” said lead project engineer and token American Nathan Grayson. “Like, really fucking big. It’s just like… man. I don’t even know what to do about it.”

Newly christened managing editor Graham Smith cannot count, despite being a robot from the future. He is this world’s greatest paradox. Adam Smith is unknowingly Graham from the past, and yet he can count. Something terrible is almost certain to happen in the intervening years.

More Exciting RPS Numbers

Searching the word “cats” on Google turns up roughly 121 million results.

The Internet contains approximately 2.14 billion pages. And it’s growing by leaps and bounds. Every day.

There are approximately one quadrillion ants on Earth. Given that there’s almost certainly a roving empire of giant evil ants in space, there’s probably far more ants than that in the universe.

There are approximately 100 trillion atoms in a single human cell. The number of atoms in a human body is nearly incalculable.

I don’t even want to think about the concept of infinity right now. Every time I do, it makes my head hurt and I have to go to bed.

, , , , , .

1. Joshua says:

I was actually kind off expecting to see impressive numbers about the LoL playerbase itself, but what the heck.

How many readers do we have?

• Llewyn says:

Seven.

• SuddenSight says:

But those seven were hand picked to be the best – Aw, c’mon Chris, don’t leave now! We already counted you.

• bstard says:

Where’s my fiver for making stupid remarks here to make it look lively?

• Llewyn says:

Oh, there are thousands of commenters. Only seven readers though.

• Shodex says:

One of which is John, the other 6 are the High Council members of the Intergalactic Ant Empire.

• Pyrobellum says:

There are two readers. You, me, and a seemingly endless parade of sock puppet accounts I have created.

2. Gunrun says:

Just a reminder that the last time Riot put out numbers like these they were found to be highly suspicious.

• UrQuan says:

The article, at least from where I’m reading, seemed to be slightly satirical of the numbers.

I’m skeptical about them, myself, because Riot does have quite a shady past with publicity stunts, and inflating numbers wouldn’t be nearly above them.

• Thurgret says:

I think it’s passed beyond the realm of Slightly Satirical and ventured on into Outright Mocking.

• AngoraFish says:

27 million players per day, and 67 million per month, is an average of each player visiting nearly 3 times a week, every week.

That, to me, sounds highly suspicious, implying either that most LOL players play little else, or otherwise have little in the way of homework/significant others/children/employment demanding their attention.

For what it’s worth, a number of my mates play LOL casually, but most would be lucky to log in more than a couple of times a month, and they can’t be the only ones.

• Steven Hutton says:

2-3 times a week. Just for log ins. That seems reasonable to me.

• Harmless Sponge says:

I actually play this daily myself, but I don’t do any of the “ranked” stuff, so you could say I’m a more casual LoL player. I play other stuff as well, I just won’t watch tv or something instead. So I’d say that isn’t as suspicious as you might think.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Little else? Well, if one plays one game a day (possibly for the ‘play once a day’ bonus), that’s 30 minutes to.. say 45 minutes every day. I’m sure that leaves a lot of time for other things.

• Devan says:

It seems everyone’s sarcasm meters are miscalibrated after that article.

• LordMidas says:

I’ve never played, or even logged into, LoL. What do they have to say about that then, eh? Stats schmats

• dorn says:

A lot of people just leave the lobby running for messages.

3. Cinek says:

Hm… so there’s more active LoL players than Steam users?
    That’s quite impressive considering that people choose to play LoL and are forced to install Steam.

BTW: This also makes you realize how small console market is in comparison with PCs.

• Trithne says:

You appear to be confusing LoL with DotA 2, as LoL does not require Steam in any way shape or form.

Edit: Never mind me, I mis-parsed you.

• Wang Tang says:

You’re confusing LoL with Dota2. LoL is not on Steam; Dota2, being made by Valve, is.

• Cinek says:

That’s exactly what I mean – LoL does not require steam, thankfully, while many games DO require steam, yet it (Steam) got less active users than LoL does. (And let’s not involve DOTA2 in that topic, please. There’s no need to have DOTA2 mentioned in every discoussion about LoL)

Just think of the Internet – Does not require Steam yet 2.14 billion pages are there! Obviously everything that doesn’t force you into Steam is better. ;)

• DragonOfTime says:

I think it may be because LoL has a bigger popularity in Asia? (I’m just pulling this out of my ass, I have no data to support it, but I think it’s very possible)

• Kaira- says:

IIRC LoL is easily the largest MOBA in China for the time being, and is pretty popular in Korea(?) too. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if Asian market contributes to these numbers. And smurfs.

• Hman says:

WOW, you wanna compare a free game that runs on probably every office computer compared to the dedicated game machines (console) that costs at least $200? Makes you realise how few people wanna pay for PC games and how much people do want to pay for consoles games. But ofcourse console gamers are stupid and PC gamers are superiour :S

• Asurmen says:

Cinek’s point still stands. There’s a larger market than with consoles.

• Stevostin says:

… or there isn’t. I am finding those number suspicous, especially considering that according to a recent study dota2 is more played in the US (and in all likeliness, in Europe). That fits with how many dota2 player I know off vs how many LoL players. But yes, Asia has enough people to change the tip of that. Steam is big in Russia but it seems to be pretty weak east from there.

• Cinek says:

Well, all of the people I know advanced from LoL to DOTA2, so by that measure – LoL should be dead ;)
        Pity that we have next to nothing that would allow us validating these wild statements.

• Alceste007 says:

All of the tracking services that have any presence in Asia show 10 to 1 in favor of LoL over DOTA2. LoL also made the top 10 f2p (ala cash shops) at number 2 (see superdata’s report). DOTA2 was not even on the list. Safe to say, LoL playerbase dwarfs DOTA2.

• darkChozo says:

Out of curiosity, are you talking about that Xfire study from a while back? That one seemed rather suspect, though I don’t think there was really much followup beyond Riot objecting to their results.

4. Keymonk says:

Where do you have these numbers from, Nathan? I’d like to see the source out of curiousity.

5. Kinch says:

Despite all the big numbers, I can’t force myself to give a *single* fuck about LoL.

Thanks for the article, was very fun to read. /lols

6. Sir_Pete says:

Would be nice to see number of players per region. I assume the major part of 27M is from Asian countries.

Anyhow, is there any source of this numbers? (Is it directly from Riot?)

• darkChozo says:

IIRC the source is a WSJ article from a couple days ago. The numbers come straight from Riot.

7. Nick says:

Yes yes, and a million flies can’t be wrong, etc.

8. amateurviking says:

Would love to see how those 67 million people are distributed globally.

9. philbot says:

Make something pretty decent, fun, and runs on loads of hardware, and people will come in droves.

10. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

And to think I almost deprived myself of this wealth of useful knowledge by skipping this article. Close call.

11. Wulfram says:

It’s amazing how this is so popular, yet these sorts of articles on RPS are virtually the only clues I recieve that it exists.

• RedViv says:

Except for the times when one of the hivemind dares make a post about it and That Lot of the commenters storm out of the woodworks, flailing sticks with their own poo on top, DEMANDING this nonsensical news that NOBODY CARES ABOUT be removed and should not even be here what were they thinking?

12. Steven Hutton says:

Imagine how many people would play if they got rid of their bullshit level system.

And also runes.

• Asurmen says:

Not that many more really. I can’t imagine the amount put off by those systems is all that large.

• Steven Hutton says:

I can’t get any of my friends to start playing because the level difference makes playing together a super painful experience.

Even if removing those features would actually turn people away they should still remove the level system. Because it’s stupid.

• Apologised says:

There’s always DOTA. Last time I looked, all the levels do there is hand out free cosmetic items, and some of the side modes.

• Asurmen says:

While I understand and sympathise, point still stands. My gut says very few people are put off. I’d say more people would be driven away if they’re just starting out and they’d end up against experienced players from the get go without a level system.

• Steven Hutton says:

You can do match making without needing a level system that effects the actual gameplay.

• Brian_black says:

As a player of HoN initially, who was being enticed by my friends committed to LoL, I was heavily turned off by the level system, which gives tangible benefits to players who have done nothing but played the game longer.

The other frustrating aspect was needing to purchase heroes in LoL, which in a game like this absolutely devastates the aspect of strategically picking your team.

• Asurmen says:

The level system and runes barely make an impact on the game. An experienced level 1 will beat a noob level 30.

• Moraven says:

Level system is not as bad and gradually gets someone new into it slightly stronger. Now the cost of runes and different Tiers is rather annoying. I wish they would just have one tier and lower the rune price.

• Brian_black says:

Except that it makes it very difficult to convince friends to join you to play. My level 25 or whatever friends wanted me to play with them, but even if the benefits were unnoticed, it still felt like there were tangible benefits that these other players had that I didn’t, which HoN at the time didn’t have (don’t really follow it now) and Dota 2 doesn’t have either. It was a direct driver for me being disengaged with the game.

13. Surlywombat says:

Is there a reason why people would have multiple accounts for this game?

• Steven Hutton says:

No, infact the F2P system they’ve got in place should be a HUGE disincentive, but many do have multiple accounts for, some, reason.

• aardvarked says:

Yes. Lots of players have smurfs, especially those at higher levels.

14. Skyhigh says:

Hahahaha…LOL.

15. 0positivo says:

Battlefield21.com
    Oh god. I had almost forgotten that one
    Well played

16. Fenix says:

Man, I hope I’m still alive and kicking the day Battlefield21.com actually becomes a relevant website

17. Amun says:

The number of atoms in a human body is not incalculable!

Hooray for technology!

• Ich Will says:

Isn’t that an estimation rather than a calculation… I believe by attempting to weigh someone to the resolution necessary to calculate the number of atoms in their body, you will change their mass, thus rendering it incalculable. Also you would kill them.

• Amun says:

A) An estimation is a calculation.
        B) If you’re just counting atoms, their individual mass doesn’t matter.
        C) Killing the person is irrelevant.

18. NarrowTom says:

I applaud the stalwart RPS readers for turning this thoroughly hilarious article into serious discussion.