Three Minutes Of BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 2

By Graham Smith on January 29th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

There's always a lighthouse. There's always a city. There's always a bit where you get knocked down and drop your weapons.

The first part of Burial At Sea, BioShock Infinite‘s Rapture-bound DLC, met a mixed reception. Alec loved its pre-fall beauty and felt frustrated by its inevitable, violent turn and quick end. Which I suppose means there’s plenty of reason to feel excited by the arrival of part two.

Irrational want to whet your appetite for wetness with a three-minute video, but be warned: it assumes you’ve played part one and will heavily imply spoilers if you haven’t.

Have you watched it? Alright, then I’m going to talk about what happened in it. Still don’t want the implied spoilers? Run home Johnny, and don’t ever scroll down.

That was a bit dull, wasn’t it?

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. f69 says:

“That was a bit dull, wasn’t it?”

2. Pich says:

MILK IT
    MILK IT DRY

3. BreadBitten says:

“That was a bit dull, wasn’t it?”

Not at all, in fact it’s managed to pique my curiosity towards Episode 1 which I wasn’t very bothered with despite currently being waist-deep in my third playthrough (1999 Mode) of Binfinite.

4. entireties says:

in case bioshock infinites attitude towards race wasnt abhorrent enough already lets drop some gratuitous ethnic slurs just to hammer the point home

we get it, ken levine, you only like white people in your video games. that or you really like killing off and dehumanising the characters that aren’t, i guess

basilisk says:

I’ve heard lots of criticisms of Binfinite, but calling it racist? That’s new.

RedViv says:

Not really, for folks who listened to what people other than most big’uns had to say on the game. Core complaint possibly being the degradation of what could be an interesting figure into a caricature of an angry brutal black lady wot kills kids and is, to paraphrase it, no better than the white supremacist religious villain, as stated in the words of the main character in a moment that is in all likelihood supposed to mean something really deep and serious about human nature, but really after thinking about it more than once is merely idiotic.

Moments like that add up and the best defence most people come up with is “but you shot really bad racist how can gaem be racist lol” as if only extremes would count and the casual, subversive, types of -isms were not a lingering problem we still have to tackle as a global community.

basilisk says:

You know, I do agree that the way the game handles racial issues is overtly simplistic, and that it mostly deals in caricatures (then again, so did BioShock). But I still don’t see how anyone playing Infinite could come to the conclusion that Ken Levine “only likes white people in his video games”. The game’s position towards racism is quite unambiguous, even if a bit banal.

Edit: Should have read the second paragraph more carefully before replying. There is merit to what you’re saying; there’s certainly something of an Uncle Tom effect in this. But calling the game racist for portraying the issues in a super-simple black and white fashion is silly. A parallel that springs to mind would be calling Schindler’s List a pro-Nazi flick.

• KawaiiDysphoriaWitch says:

I don’t think the problem is just that it’s simplistic, though. The problem is that the oppressed are depicted as dumb, violent, and irrational. While I’m sure this is just a failed attempt at moral ambiguity, it makes the game into a racist “this is what happens when you let black folks get uppity” story.

basilisk says:

Again I have to drag the original BioShock into this – the exact same sentence applies there, and the oppressed in that game are mostly white. Daisy Fitzroy is a clear parallel of Atlas, after all. So I really don’t think this interpretation is very valid in the broader context.

• altum videtur says:

THE PATRIOTS! THEY LEFT US THEIR MEMES! THEIR GREAT “-ISMS”!

Sorry. REVENGEANCE is just so… unforgettable.
          *hums the thing from the Watchmen movie where The Comedian got brained*

• ohminus says:

While I agree her conduct was extreme, I don’t think it can be used to justify your accusation, for two reasons:

a)The game DID provide plenty of justification for her becoming that way, thus making it clear that this was not an issue of her race but of how she was treated
          b)By the end of the game, if she does exist at all, she never became the way she was portrayed. With the elimination of Comstock from the timeline, all the events that led to her being a radical revolutionist never happened.

• Pich says:

people from the ’50 being racist? Stop the presses!

5. kael13 says:

Hmm! Either way I’ve already paid for this so I’ll be playing it! I quite enjoyed Episode 1, and I quite enjoyed the changes towards more stealthy combat. Even if it did all become all shooty shooty by the end.

6. altum videtur says:

I tried playing Infinite about 2 months ago. Got bored about halfway through, having already seen a let’s play of the game. The story I was meh on to begin with… and the gameplay definitely didn’t warrant more of my time to be spent with Bishfinite. Then I tried to replay the original. Stopped after meeting Crazypants McGee, noting that the “scream” in the piano scene’s background did in fact sound exactly like Songbird’s non-dying screams, and enjoying that wonderful song (Scherzo). Watched Spoiler Warning’s LP of it and duly noted that I greatly overappreciated the game when it came out. Didn’t even find the scene where you go golf clubbing particularly great.
    It might be just that my tastes have changed or something, but I think I don’t care about Bioshock in any way anymore. Weird. Shadow of Chernobyl came out at around the same time the first Bioshock did, and that one I’m replaying right now with great gusto, even though it has all the polish of the battered revenant of a T-34 littering some dark and forlorn forest of Kursk.
    (… I think that last sentence gave me a boner)

RedViv says:

The twistitwists of infinite were “???”, where the one in the middle of Burial at Sea (ending episode 1) was “Woah, would not have guessed. Dang.”, which I find far more enjoyable.
    So I am very much looking forward to the second act.

• Xocrates says:

While the one in Infinite was convoluted, I actually felt it was more sensical than burial at sea, which made the whole endevour feel kind of pointless and, quite frankly, was more than a bit mean.

Mind you, the more I think about the twists and gameplay in Infinite (and the original Bioshock, for that matter), the more I like Bioshock 2.

8. Syme says:

I think it’s fair to say some of the race issues are clumsily handled in Bioshock Infinite, but the word racist is getting thrown around a little too easily here.

I’m starting to think we need a word to differentiate intentional racism that’s based on actual hatred and prejudice. and what we get in Bioshock Infinite which is more just the lack of thought and understanding that comes from entitled white privilege.

To read from the game “this is what happens when black people get too uppity” is ludicrous. It’s making the point, that’s often been true throughout history that revolutionary leaders can be just as corrupt as the oppressors. it’s problematic because it’s making this point against a story of racial oppression, but it’s obviously never suggesting that the Vox Populi are wrong to be rebelling.

Singling out Levine gets just for making a game that stars white characters seems absurd when that’s an industry wide problem, and if ever a game has justified the need for the main protagonists to be white then it’s Bioshock Infinite.

9. thecommoncold says:

Header image: Scratched face. Ripped shirt. Perfect hair.

Yep, that’s a vidya game, alright