Strike Vector Lands On Steam, All DLC To Be Free (!)

By Nathan Grayson on January 29th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Aka, Motion Blur: The Blurrening

I was going to poke fun at the name Strike Vector to take some pressure off the colossal responsibility that is introducing a videogame news post, but then I decided to make sure I knew all meanings of the word “vector” and nope, I absolutely do not. A strike vector might be an actual thing, as my education in the field of vectorology is woefully lacking. I do, however, know one thing for sure: Strike Vector The Videogame is unarguably stunning, especially given that it’s a relatively small indie effort. Also, its unique brand of transforming, sky-city-deforming shootyblams is now on Steam. Hurrah!

If you needed proof that Strike Vector has ships and explosions, you now have it.

I’m hoping to have a go at the first/third-person shooter soon myself, as developer Ragequit cites influences ranging from Crimson Skies to Quake 3. Consider me on board. That might leave the mode selection feeling a bit unspectacular, however. Deathmatch, team domination, team deathmatch, and capture the flag aren’t exactly breaking new ground. Er, sky. But hey, the game’s Steam page also touts “many others,” so maybe there’s a gem or two that Ragequit is keeping under wraps. As a surprise! For your birthday! Or because they got bored of listing all their modes.

Oh, and then there’s this, which is especially promising:

“All new features will be FREE. Strike Vector will offer free DLC after the game release. We want to make sure that every person playing Strike Vector have access to the same content regardless of when they will get the game.”

Kudos to Ragequit letting us keep all our nickels and dimes. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go find one of those children’s firetruck ride things you sometimes find outside grocery stores. If I budget this correctly, I can probably thrill to one for, like, a whole hour.

, .

1. derbefrier says:

The game looks like its pretty fun. Might pick it up on payday if people seem to enjoy it.

• seles04 says:

my neighbor’s mom makes $66 an hour on the internet. She has been without work for 5 months but last month her income was $16989 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site …………… http://flx.im/22RT7

2. hideinlight says:

Was wondering what happened to this game, as I had completely forgotten the name. So thx!

3. Convolvulus says:

An indie multiplayer game can’t really have paid DLC that isn’t just cosmetic, unless the dev wants to splinter the player population and quickly go out of business. Anyway, I like how they renamed the 6DoF genre to “aerial FPS” and then claimed to have originated it.

• Lev Astov says:

Let me tell you, there’s nothing quite like this. I picked it up and played it last night when I saw it on the just released list on Steam. It’s a ton of fun, even if it’s full of bugs for me (I can’t actually select a server I want to join as it just connects to whichever it pleases when I try).

• Imek says:

This was a bug in the server browser – if you sort it, the links go out of wack. I think they actually just released a patch to fix it.

• Prolar Bear says:

But it’s “BRUTAL”.

• Zankmam says:

>An indie multiplayer game can’t really have paid DLC that isn’t just cosmetic, unless the dev wants to splinter the player population and quickly go out of business.

Meanwhile, in Awesomenauts…

4. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Is a union worker a strike vector?

• The Random One says:

Only during the night. None suspect that during the day he’s mild-mannered assembly line worker Viktor Stryke.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Who in the movie will be voiced by a man who sounds suspiciously like someone from Chicago with a mouth full of golf balls

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

Im an engineer and naturally assume that everyone else wants to hear what I have to say on the topic of engineering and so for this reason highly recommend you all look up vector mechanics on wikipedia to ground this article in firm physical and mathematical principles. I am sure this will be a fun afternoon for all involved and an education for all you lazy arses who took Media Studies with Journalism and had fun getting drunk whilst I had to study FUCKING VECTOR MECHANICS.

Aaaah sorry flashback

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Short answer: a vector is a row of numbers. It normally means a coordinate or a direction in 2D or 3D space (if you’re not an insane theoretical physicist). In this case, it’s the direction you’re attacking a target from. Now you can go get drunk.

• Nixitur says:

That’s correct for school-level vector analysis, but for basically anything beyond that, it’s an incredibly limited definition or just, well, plain wrong.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You remind me of my second year structural engineering lecturer. I feel a soothing kind of Stockholm Syndrome leaching back already

• Stickman says:

I don’t know what you’re smoking…

A vector is clearly an organism that transmits a disease agent from reservoir to host.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Only if that reservoir is in Liverpool

• Chorltonwheelie says:

That meaning is derived from a mathematical vector that can deliver a set of numbers, put simply, to another place in an equation or proof.

• Grygus says:

The page “Vector mechanics” does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.

This is followed by a bunch of page titles that make me want to get drunk, instead. So… mission accomplished, I guess?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

The process you describe is the very bedrock of the British Education system. Ah the pride

• Lone Gunman says:

A vector is a quantity that has a magnitude (size) and direction associated with it. Say you are traveling north at 5m/s, and then turn around to travel south at the same speed. If you are treating this speed as scalar it is always 5m/s but if you want to treat it as a vector, in which case it becomes a velocity, it will have a value of +5m/s when it is pointed northwards and -5m/s when pointing southward. It becomes more complicated when the angle between the directions of the vectors are not at 180 degrees in which case you have to use trigonometry.

Glad all this physics studying is coming in use.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Wheeeeeee

• sockeatsock says:

Ahhh, but a vector space need not have magnitude or direction. You, good sir, are talking about normed vector spaces!

• Wang Tang says:

A vector is an element of a vector space – a set V over a field K with two binary operations satisfying various axioms – which has generally n or infinite dimensions. Gosh, physics is so limited. Use real maths :P

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Mathematicians. Peh. Always so bloody calculating.

• Lone Gunman says:

I gave the simplest example so normal people could understand it :p

We physicist’s like our multiple dimensions but we have let nature dictate how many there are.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I am disappointed to see that my physics pun thread was not lepton by others

• MacTheGeek says:

Perhaps if you were to gluon a hint, more people would notice. The English language is fun, but it’s not without its quarks.

• Koozer says:

I quite enjoyed vectors. They’re like trigonometry, but even more exciting!

6. pupsikaso says:

Been looking forward to this game ever since I saw some footage of it last year. But at a price tag of $25 and with no demo I doubt I’ll be buying this.
    Why is there no demo?

• DatonKallandor says:

Hopefully, since it’s a multiplayer only game (already a HUGE risk both to make as an indie dev and to buy as a consumer) they’ll have a free weekend. That way people can see if it’s good and buy it after.

7. araczynski says:

too bad its multiplayer only, plus seems like strike suit zero in a small box.

8. Choca says:

Be aware that it’s full of bugs and that the community is extremely limited..

• dE says:

The limited community is already the reason I won’t pick it up. Indie Multiplayer Titles, minus the excentric ones, tend to die out really quick. Until there are bots, I’m looking at the prospect of a game I’ll play for a month at best, before there aren’t enough players to keep going. After that, it becomes dead weight.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

Same with Shattered Horizon, a zero-G fps. The community never really grew and died out, yet the game is still on sale. It’s just bots now.

9. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

that policy positively surprises me. might pick it up, if it’s really just pay once for maybe-better-than-Hawken multiplayer robo-fps.

10. Ephant says:

At first it looked nice, but the beta was a huge disappointed for me. Menu looks amateurish, UI looks amateurish, music is amateurish, the framerate was quite bad and the balance was also not that great (hopefuly it got fixed for the launch). Overall it felt like a early beta and I don’t think they fixed everything for the final release.

11. abrokenchinadoll says:

I got to beta test it for a while. It was quite a lot of fun. I was playing it for a bit and screaming my head off at the screen. A game like that deserves my attention. I totally love a game that makes me scream in frustration XD

12. Megakoresh says:

LOL did they rip the repair powerups from London Racer: World Challenge?
    Definitely looks like a good game though. And that Eye Rape… 8/10 would bloom.

• dE says:

If you don’t mind, could you please refrain from using the word “rape” that way? I’d appreciate that.

• Megakoresh says:

Ok sorry, I will be sure to use “Rape” only according to it’s dictionary definition…. LOL, you must be new to internet.

• Premium User Badge AngelTear says:

Considering I see dE pretty often here in the comment section, I don’t think s/he is “new to the internet” but rather that s/he asking to stop a rather bad, childish and offensive habit that many on the internet have.

The appropriate variation of that closing sentence of yours would be: you must be new to RPS and its comment section; or even, you must be new to the concept of respect for others.

• Megakoresh says:

I will decide what is an appropriate way to end my sentence, thank you very much. You subjective concept of respect for others is your subjective concept. Don’t paint across the whole world.

• Buzko says:

Megakoresh, welcome to another block list.

AngelTear and dE, please keep up the good work. Gaming already has enough problems with actual and perceived misogyny, and there are many many other words that get the point across without invoking sexual assault.

13. Lemming says:

It looks great fun, but I can’t help but wonder what it would’ve been like if you fully transformed into a robot to ‘stick’ to surfaces when not in flight, and had limited attack abilities when in that mode, and it was the only way to pick up power ups at all.

14. SuicideKing says:

No WiT, no sale.

• SillyWizard says:

Wow, that kind of puts a lot of pressure on RPS, huh…

15. hideinlight says:

They should really do a free weekend, all multi-player titles need to do one and close to release instead of far down the line when the game is practically dead.

16. waaaaaaaals says:

It was quite fun but it doesn’t really feel like it should have been released just yet.

The sensitivity for hover mode was all over the place, pad controls are rudimentary at best and can’t be rebound from inside the game, the options menu overall was quite lacking, server connection issues are quite prevalent.

Also unless they just changed it, stalker mines are invulnerable even when hit by a ton of missiles.

17. HumpX says:

Played the beta of this. The learning curve is BRUTAL.

If you’re expecting the leisurely pace of Descent/Forsaken……better brace yourself.

18. Jupiah says:

Wow that trailer looks really exciting. Never seen a shooter game before with such freedom of movement and such a sense of raw speed and maneuverability.

Sadly I’ll probably not buy it because it looks like one of the twitch shooters that requires insane reflexes and accuracy to be good at and I’m terribad at those.