Kingdom Come: Deliverance Is Doing Awfully Well

By John Walker on January 30th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Warhorse pitched an ambitious project. Kingdom Come: Deliverance wants to be Skyrim meets The Witcher, but without all the pretend stuff like dragons. NO DRAGONS?! you cry in fear and rage. No, but it’s okay, because there are just so many swords. This ultro-historical epic comes from a Czech team of super-developers, they behind things like Mafia and ARMA, and they say things like, “Combat is calculated entirely with inverse kinematics, so it’s not even animated.”

It’s working. So far Deliverance has made well over half a million pounds, and they only asked for £300,000. What are people doing?! They’ve gone mad! But give give give we all are, and there’s now a new video explaining more about the game’s world.

Oh my goodness, I’m not going to mess with Warhorse. This man could bite me in two, and he’s got a bloody pitbull with him to chew on my remains.

Footage of the game itself begins appearing around two and a half minutes in. And coo, pretty!

There are still 20 days to go, and I don’t doubt for a moment that they’ll meet their £1m top stretch goal. They’re going to ding their £600,000 goal very soon, which means they’re going to add in a new playable character, this time a woman, who it seems will be temporarily played in a series of quests that involve the rescue the main male character. Or perhaps rescues him, then goes off and does her own thing. It’s not yet clear.

If you want to find out more, and it does seem that you ought, you can read Nathan’s epic coverage of the game so far.

, , .

Klydefrog says:

I’m pretty sure that’s an English Bull Terrier

2. sneetch says:

Is their office on a ship? I was getting a bit seasick from the camera work there.

• oyog says:

It kinda seems like the camera man was just swiveling back and forth in a swivel chair. “I’m bored guys. C’mon guys, why do I have to hold the camera? I’m booooored…”

3. Snids says:

On earth as it is in heaven.
    forever and ever,
    Amen.

4. Becalel says:

I find myself torn apart here…

The game seems fantastic. It corresponds with a very eventful times in the Czech history, most likely around the Hussite Wars, which are very important for the Czech national identity and also, historically attractive as a story-background. After finishing the Witcher books, Andrzej Sapkowski wrote a trilogy taking place during that exact time. Which, in some places, is even better read then the Witcher books. This game is probably the closest to the Narrenturm books we’ll ever see.

But…

Well, looking at the Kickstarter campaign (unless I’m missing something) it seems, that the £15 pledge would give you 1/3 of the game, for 2/3 you’ll have to fork out £60 and the first tier offering Acts I, II & III is set at £600. Now, even if we don’t treat them as ‘chapters’ but three autonomous parts (say, like ME 1, 2 & 3), 600GBP is still an awful lot of money. So, am I the only one not fully understanding the strategy here? Because as it is now it really puts me off pledging anything. I’d rather wait and see what the prices will be when the game actually comes out. I doubt the cost for the 3 Acts will run up to £600…

• BobbyDylan says:

OOOOOoorrrr…

you could buy Act 2&3 for £15 when they come out.

• Becalel says:

I could. But then, are they not shooting themselves in the foot a bit, since it discourages me from pledging to the campaign?

Continuity says:

I think you are conflating backing a game with pre-ordering a game. There need be no logical link between donation size and reward value.

Llewyn says:

I thought this was strange too, but they describe their reasoning somewhere on there – basically, they’re raising funding for the first game and there’s no guarantee they’ll be able to make the second and third at all at this stage, so they’re not ‘selling’ those two. They include them in some higher tiers on a “you’ll get them if they happen” basis, but they’re not intended to be the main benefit of those tiers. It sort of makes sense to me now.

Personally, I think their big mistake was in referring to them as acts in the first place. If they’d raised money for KC: Deliverance and included reference to how their potential sequels KC: Subtitle and KC: Origins would tie into it then I think they’d have avoided a lot of confusion.

• Becalel says:

And if they did as you say in your second paragraph, I still wouldn’t have even registered on RPS and my name would have been among backers since day… 2 or 3 I think, when I looked at the campaign first…

• DrollRemark says:

KC: Origins

*doffs cap*

• Shooop says:

That’s really a foolish thing to do – if you’re not sure you’re going to be able to do a sequel you shouldn’t even be thinking about one before you finish what you’re working on.

They’re basically offering a vague “Well if we do, you’ll be the first to know about it!” promise, and in the entertainment industry that means very little. Doubly so since they’re not an established company who has the resources and body of work to back up any of their claims.

• Orija says:

You aren’t paying them here to buy the game, at least you shouldn’t be. If you like what they are pitching then go ahead and dole out some dough, but eschew the idea of this being an equivalent of a pre-order.

• Becalel says:

I know, I know, the whole ‘what the croudfunding is supposed to be about’ thing… It may work if you’re not on a tight budget, and I, sadly, am.

So yes, I’m looking for that sweet spot between how much I think I can spare and what will I get in return. It may not be a proper way of thinking about it, I know. But that’s more or less what I was referring to originally. Basically, am I the only one feeling this way, or could have there been more done to balance the tiers better?

• The Random One says:

If you are on a tight budget, it’s a lot more beneficial for you to wait until the game is out, especially if it’s already funded. You will not have to depend on their generosity to reimburse you if the project folds, and you might be able to get a discounted pre-order and pay a little less, or decide that since you’ve waited for so long you might as well wait for a discount.

€: I also have to say that thinking that crowdfunding shouldn’t be thought of as a preorder “doesn’t work if you’re in a tight budget” seems to me a tad disingenuous. That’s when thinking like that is even more important. If your money is tight you shouldn’t spend it on things that maybe will come out two years from now. Maybe by then you’ll have a lot more money and will be able to buy it full price at launch; maybe by then you’ll be dead. It only makes sense if you want a project to exist and it looks like it’ll fail.

Vandelay says:

Absolutely true. I have pledged quite a few times and often more then I spend on games in a store, but you should only ever give Kickstarter money if you are happy to see nothing from it. The things you get at each tier should be considered gifts for contribution and not purchases.

If you are on a tight budget, I would say avoid Kickstarter completely.

Jackablade says:

I don’t suppose these Narrenturm books have been translated?

• Becalel says:

Oh yes, they have.

Into German, Spanish, Russian, Czech, Slovak and Ukrainian.

• araczynski says:

i’m in the same boat, hate this kind of stuff, so won’t support this effort. will just pick up the game on some steam sale down the line when its complete, probably not their intended result of all this effort, but so be it.

5. Penguin_Factory says:

It’s cool that they’re getting so much money, but is it actually going to be enough? Looking at the graphical quality of this thing alone, that 300,000 must surely only a fraction of the total development cost. Unless they’re getting serious financial backing from other sources I worry this is going to be one of those games that makes a ton of money, then a year later we hear that development is in trouble because it wasn’t actually enough.

• Scurra says:

But they do stress that they have got “serious financial backing from other sources” – the interesting part was that it was contingent on proving they had a market for the game which is where KS came in. It’s not like some other projects that have subsequently used KS success to drum up further money; if anything they’ve done it the “right” way around and hopefully will lead to other projects following this model.

• derbefrier says:

Yeah for big AAA productions this will probably be a norm for kickstarter. Star Citizen originally was planning on using private investor too untill we all went mad and gave them all the money. Now they don’t need it but for the bigger more ambitious kickstart projects such as this, it seems like a good idea to have that saftey net.

Llewyn says:

They are. This is supposed to be 10% of their funding to demonstrate to their backer that there’s a demand for the game.

• TheTingler says:

Also as the footage shows they’ve done a lot of the game already.

• EvilSpaceOrc says:

300k for this? It makes the To The Death kickstarter even more laughable and only confirms for me how overpaid those devs are. Kingdom Come looks cool though, it HAS TO come with steam workshop support.

6. Phinor says:

There’s something oddly nice to see developers in actual real life locations. From what I gather, it will be tough to make the gameplay interesting and varied enough for a 20-30 hour experience with a modest budget but even if my pledge only gets me a 9 square kilometer medieval location, I’m satisfied. Any game on top of that is icing (on the cake?)

7. Arown says:

Now that Kingdom come has reached his goal it would be great to talk about Cradle that seams to be great !

• TheTingler says:

Something seems off about Cradle, not least the over-optimistic $30 minimum pledge to get the game. There’s a lot of talk and not a lot of game being shown off.

8. derbefrier says:

Hail yeah, this game looks extremely promising.

9. Opiniomania says:

This thing sure is getting a lot of traction around here, especially given that it might easily turn out to be little more than a mount ‘n blade spinoff in environments strangely reminiscent of the Witcher. I am happy that they reached the goal and wish them luck, but remain sceptical. Maybe a gameplay demo will manage to sway me, but until then…

10. trooperwally says:

Time Team the computer game, how come no one thought of this before?! I guess that means that beardy chap from the video is the Czech alter ego of Tony Robinson. I hope update two contains information about what geo-phys are up to (love those guys). Oh and I’d be interested to see the Czech rendering of Somerset’s finest: Phil The Dig.

As for the game I’m thinking I’m going to be most interested if this gets two important things:

1. More wilderness
    2. Good mods

They’ve said positive things about the mods so far but whether a community develops around this is harder to tell. I guess the Kickstarter success is encouraging. I’m just a little concerned about the shrinkage. Skyrim was lauded for it’s wilderness but it was still very odd to me how if you walk any bearing in a straight line for 30 seconds you’ll find a bandit hideout, wizard tower, giant camp, spooky dungeon, etc. Let the landscape be empty and rustic but brought to life by the stuff going on in it.

• Volcanu says:

Mmmm yes. I can picture it now…..

THRILL as you piece together the medieval diet from rubbish tip fragments.
      AMAZE as perfectly rendered potsherds dance before your disbelieving eyes.
      And in the exciting conclusion to the game – GASP as a series of iron age post holes are uncovered in a shocking twist that will stay with you for years to come.

• The Random One says:

You’re being sarcastic but I’d enjoy dancing potsherds a lot more than fifteen identical wolf attacks.

• Volcanu says:

Actually as a former student of early medieval & ancient history I DO find all of the above interesting (at least from an academic standpoint, probably less so in a computer game).

It was more about the rather mundane spectacle Time Team often ends up being (given the silly insistence on doing arcehology against the clock) with Tony Robinson desperately overcompensating and becoming increasingly manic.

Oh and I agree on the wolf attacks thing. The same goes for bears, giant rats and cliff racers (I’m looking at you Morrowind!).

11. exoslav says:

Hello, join my fanclub facebook page :)

12. Opiniomania says:

After an intake of about 5 liters of beer my opinion on the game has become as clear as spring water: it will quite probably remain an unfulfilled promise. When I wake up from the stupor I might clarify why…until then, might the god of vain hope be with you…

13. Snowblade says:

>”Or perhaps rescues him, then goes off and does her own thing. It’s not yet clear.”

Oh, it is very clear. The game will remain true to the historical setting, political correctness “muh equality” or not. The Female character will play minimal role in the story, the main hero is a Male. The fact that we are getting a Female character is already pretty lame.