Superiority Complex: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

By Adam Smith on January 30th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

when you gotta go, you gotta go

Has a Spider-Man villain ever built a giant version of those suction devices that capture arachnid infiltrators so that they can be safely disposed of? I like to think that it’s happened several times over the decades, so that whenever the quip-slinger hears a vacuum cleaner, he soils his spandex. Judging by the reveal trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – the game of the sequel to the reboot of the adaptation of the comic book – Peter is more likely to be slinging gloom and doom than quips. He doesn’t even speak, preferring to let villainous mentor-chum (?) Kraven the Hunter do the talking.

It’s an open world city crime-fighting extravaganza, with a heroics-tracking system that rewards Spidey for bashing criminals and sees the Big Apple become increasingly rotten if he fails to apprehend the baddies dotted about the place. Let too many carjackers get away with their vehicular targets, or too many murderers to get away with murder, and eventually the city will resemble a soggy raisin.

Could this be the game that does for Spider-Man what Arkham Asylum did for Batman, or will Mr Parker remain trapped in the vicious circle of mediocre movie tie-ins? We’ll find out when the game swings into action this Spring.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. NicholasTimothyJones says:

I may be wrong but is that Steve Blum playing Steve Blum?

• lurkalisk says:

Sounds like it. Then, it could be some amalgam of Blum and Nolan North’s voices made into one voice acting singularity to end all voice acting.

2. sassy says:

The Spider Man games have been pretty good, especially Spider Man 2 on the Gamecube/PS2 (possibly xbox as well but can’t be bothered checking). Unfortunately they’ve never rose above simply pretty good, they have the potential to be classics but due to a lack of variety and some bad design in areas have never reached that height.

Hopefully this time they can finally get above simply being worth an hour or two of messing around.

• aludlam says:

Seconded. Spiderman2 was a high point relative to the timeframe. The same formula with graphical and gameplay upgrades to match the current state of affairs would make this a must-have franchise (maybe an every-other-year thing). I haven’t been able to get into any subsequent iteration of the wall crawler, though.

3. james.hancox says:

Well that looks boring as all hell. It’s a comic book game, I want it to be fun!

4. Shade399 says:

Wait… Is this a sequel to the old PS2 game? If so, then colour me excited.

5. Mrice says:

I think i saw the webs actually sticking to the walls! I might actually be interested in this one!

I dont really get why they dont do that in most of the games. The only one i can name that did (im probably forgetting others) was spiderman 2 and that was the best game in the series.

I want to play the game to pretend to be spiderman. Dont streamline out all the details that make spiderman spiderman!

• Bugamn says:

I think The Amazing Spiderman did that too.

• floher says:

No it didn’t. Only reason I didn’t buy it.

All the open world ones before did, though. So the PS2 games (Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man) and that one on PS3.
        Web of Shadows or something? Were there more? Spider-Man 3? Or was that Web of Shadows?!?

My brain hurts.

• Freeman720 says:

Spider-Man 3 webs connected to the buildings. In Web of Shadows, it depended on where you were. If you were a little too high, or above Central park, webs connected to the air just to stay lenient.

• Bugamn says:

My bad, I was actually thinking about Ultimate Spiderman (the only one I have played). I have just checked and the web really connects to buildings. You can’t even use it if there aren’t any buildings higher than you.

6. Bugamn says:

This sounds annoying. In a way this make optional objectives obligatory.

• Urthman says:

Nothing could make a Spider-Man game truer to the comic books than if it made you constantly feel guilty for not doing enough. Peter Parker is fun to watch or read about, but I’d never want to be him.

7. Blackcompany says:

“What you do defines who you are. Lets see if a hero or a menace crawls out of the darkness.”

That’s just way, way too close to the writing/dialogue from recent Batman movies. Way too close. I really hope they change that.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind dark. Even grim dark, when it suits. I’m the only person I know who actually sort of likes Mark Lawrence novels. In a way.

But this just…doesn’t suit Spiderman. Not that level of grim-dark. Where’s the snark? Parker would probably even come back with something like, “No one’s ever said THAT to a guy in a costume before.” I really hope they manage to capture Spiderman’s own sense of humor; the first trio of movies utterly failed to even try, and it made them far worse than they already were. Which admittedly took some doing.

• Freeman720 says:

Spider-Man has gotten extremely dark at times. Besides, you can have a fairly serious plot, and still have Spider-Man himself be light-hearted. I would recommend not judging a game based on a trailer lasting less than 2 minutes. Wait to see some actual gameplay and story elements.

• Stardreamer says:

Amazing SM1 touched on Spidey’s humour once when Pete was threatened by that guy with the knife. “Tiny Knives: my…one…weakness….”. Been so long since I’ve seen it I can’t remember if they did any more quips during the fight with Lizard Bloke, but you’re absolutely right: that zany, non-stop Parker humour is what any Spider-Man film needs to replicate to BE a true Spider-Man film. It pains me that they take so much care over his looks but fail to recognise the importance of this vital character trait.

8. GameCat says:

Remember, with great IP comes great responsibility.

9. Eery Petrol says:

Here’s a friendly neighborhood reminder that Energy Hook is still a thing. A Kickstarted indie focussing on the Spiderman 2 webslinging gameplay. It’s being developed by Jamie Fristrom, creator of the Spiderman 2 game.

NOTE that the funding goal they landed on means Oculus Rift support.

You can find an article about it on RPS.

10. Snids says:

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
    Does whatever he has the will, desire, or inclination to do.

11. Snids says:

Also, if only you could talk to the spidermens.

12. Pemptus says:

Does it have the ultra-awesome webslinging mechanics from Spiderman 2? If not, I don’t care in the slightest.

• Stardreamer says:

Since nobody bought Web of Shadows I think that style of presentation has been hurled off a bridge by the Green Goblin. A desperate shame – those two games are probably my very favourite superhero games ever.

Wikipedia tells me the game has been de-listed and removed from all digital stores now as well. Not just thrown off a bridge but the corpse dismembered and burned. Tragic.

• crazyd says:

What? Web of Shadows didn’t have Spiderman 2 web swinging. It had the same, compromised double-jumpy hold-a-trigger-and-press-forward shit as Ultimate Spiderman through Amazing Spiderman 1.

• Demolitionist says:

If they were like me, they didn’t buy Web of Shadows because the swinging mechanics were inconsistent. Sometimes they attached to buildings, sometimes they attached to air. Even when they attached to buildings, they didn’t really have the correct physics.

13. Stardreamer says:

Ah, a timely reminder to get hold of the first game. I seem to recall that one going over reasonably well in RPS circles.

I hope he wall-crawls in these. Never mind that Pete couldn’t operate computers, I couldn’t believe Lego Marvel Super Heroes didn’t even allow for Spidey’s most basic ability!

14. dethtoll says:

A version of Spiderman where he doesn’t talk is a good version of Spiderman.

15. jimangi says:

‘Mediocre’?
    I’d say that Spiderman games tend to be some of the best movie video-game adaptations, granted they often don’t have a lot of competition in that area but I think a lot of them stand up well.

• The Random One says:

I’d say that some of the best licenced superhero games have been Spiderman games, but most Spiderman games have been forgettable by-the-number mediocrity.

• tormos says:

being “the best movie tie in videogame” is basically saying that they tend to be playable and not actively painful to finish.

16. Iskariot says:

I would love an open world spiderman that finally featured a rich and believable simulated world on a level at least comparable to GTA IV. So far it has always been a disappointing experience.

17. deependdriver says:

C’mon guys, this jammer already has it covered, webs to the wall or die!

18. PopeRatzo says:

So what are we talking here, Q4 of 2016?

19. Jupiah says:

One of these days I’d like to play an open world Marvel game set in New York that actually features all of the superheroes who live there as playable characters. Spiderman, the X-men, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, the Punisher, etc. I always find it weird how most of those Spiderman games seem to exist in their own bubble universes where other heroes don’t exist and never interfere with each other. Except for the Ultimate Spiderman one on PS2, that one had tons of cameos from other heroes.

Comment on this story