Development And Support Continues At Funcom

By Adam Smith on January 31st, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Following the news of possible financial infringements a couple of days ago, we reached out to Funcom to find out if the situation would affect the company’s in-development Lego Minifigs title, as well as continued expansions and support for their ongoing MMOs, including The Secret World. Today, we received an update from the developer and I’ve included it in full below. Here’s a taste:

Good news then? It seems so.

Here’s that statement in full:

On Wednesday, the company received a visit from Řkokrim (the Norwegian National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime) who is conducting an investigation on the suspicion of infringement of the provisions of the Securities Trading Act with regards to financial information given to the market surrounding the launch of The Secret World. Funcom is of course fully cooperating with Řkokrim and the company is providing them with all necessary information to make sure the situation can be clarified and resolved as soon as possible.

Production on all Funcom games continues as normal, and the company remains fully committed to games in development as well as the continued operation and updating of existing live games. Yesterday’s events is not expected to have any impact on the company’s continued operation or the development on future releases. Funcom’s key priorities are the development of the upcoming LEGOŽ Minifigures Online, as well as supporting and expanding on the live games Age of Conan, The Secret World and Anarchy Online with new and exciting content. In terms of The Secret World, developers are currently in the process of finalizing its ninth content update, which will send players on a grand adventure through Tokyo, and Funcom will be releasing new information and screenshots from this update soon.

Please also note that trading in the company stock was only suspended temporarily yesterday, and trading was back to normal shortly thereafter. We were also happy to see that our communication to the market after the events and the way we handled the situation was well received, and the stock climbed throughout today.

It’s unclear whether the situation is fully resolved or not but stock prices do appear to have returned to levels comparable to those before the investigation. As the charges related to historical document-keeping and financial representation, it’s the area around the launch of The Secret World that may be the subject of further scrutiny. Eyebrows were raised at the time when Trond Arne Aas, CEO at the time, stepped into an advisory role on launch day.

Hopefully any irregularities aren’t dangerously scalene and business can continue as usual. I haven’t visited The Secret World in recent times but it’s a splendid place to holiday.

, , , .

1. DuneTiger says:

Sounds like a high-profile audit, but not much more than that, unless we can somehow get details on why the suspicion is there to begin with. Maybe that’s already been covered. I dunno.

I only recently started playing the Secret World cause no-subscription was attractive… but then I got in and it somehow still has subscription? I don’t get it. That, and the whole thing feels so clunky.

• Notelpats says:

Ehm, nope.. no subscription.

• malkav11 says:

Well, no, it does still have a subscription. It’s just that it’s purely optional and basically gets you some bonus promotional cosmetic stuff, veteran rewards over time, and periodic infusions of cash store currency. This works out beautifully for Grand Masters (i.e. lifetime subscribers. like me) and is maybe kinda eh as a value proposition on a monthly plan.

• kris713 says:

my neighbor’s mom makes $66 an hour on the internet. She has been without work for 5 months but last month her income was $16989 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site ..,.,..,.,.,., jobs80
          (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• kris713 says:

what Patrick said I’m shocked that a mom able to get paid $5552 in four weeks on the internet. did you read this site link
        .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., bit.ly/1aNtBWj

• Buttephon says:

my friend’s step-mother makes $67 every hour on the laptop . She has been fired for 8 months but last month her check was $15271 just working on the laptop for a few hours. you can try here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

2. SominiTheCommenter says:

LEGOŽ?
    The 90′s radical version of LEGO, complete with gratuitous ümläüt?

Rikard Peterson says:

Meant to be a ®, I guess, just as “Řkokrim” is “Økokrim”. One have to keep an eye on encodings when including non-ASCII characters. Unicode FTW!

Rikard Peterson says:

And RPS could use a proof-reader. (Not just RPS – all journalistic things. It makes me a bit sad that proof-readers seem to be getting extinct, even in printed press.)

Zunt says:

That’s no umlaut. That’s a space station caron.

4. Keyrock says:

I hope this blows over and it does indeed not impact their day to day operations. I have a love-hate relationship with The Secret World. I love the concept and setting (I’m a sucker for secret society, conspiracy theory type stuff. Add in Cthulhu mythos and I got a full on boner), but I hate the atrocious game mechanics.

5. The Random One says:

I hope that they didn’t abuse the confidence their reputation affords them so they could commit a crime. I’d hate to learn that Fun Com pulled a fan con.

€: Mwa ha ha, on the sidebar my post cuts off just before the horrible pun. It’s the perfect crime.

6. somnolentsurfer says:

So, is everyone at Red Thread in the clear?

7. wilmermsteiner says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site…..

8. MadTinkerer says:

If a bunch of folks in suits showed up at my door and announced that they were called “The Řkokrim” I sure would want to cooperate!

Is it just me or does everything sound more bad-ass in Norwegian? Even the name “Ragnar Tornquist” conjures up images in my mind of a muscle-bound Conan-like berserker, rather than the pleasant game developer chap.

9. jeffreyesteelman says:

10. sharonakemp says:

my buddy’s mom makes $79 hourly on the internet . She has been without work for seven months but last month her pay was $20122 just working on the internet for a few hours. Look At This =========>>> http://www.jobs39.com