Fact: Fru Is The Best Idea

By John Walker on January 31st, 2014 at 9:00 am.

So far I’ve taken about as much interest in Kinect as I have the sleeping patterns of Moldavian snails. Every now and then I’ve seen maybe an interesting proof of concept, but it really does seem to come down to other people pretending to dance while I sit in a corner wishing I were at home. But no more! Fru is a game, created by Mattia Traverso and chums, as part of last weekend’s Global Game Jam (theme: “We don’t see things as they are but as we are”), and I would very much like to play it. A twin-world platformer, where the portal to the other dimension… is you.

The concept is an increasingly familiar one, and yet one I’ve yet to grow tired of – two overlapping dimensions, between which you must switch to complete levels. It’s just A Good Idea, and when delivered well, can be enormously satisfying. When delivered in a way that involves my very own physical form providing the means by which the character changes worlds, I can only imagine I’d giggle like a fool from start to finish. (Although I’m not sure if my big tummy would be a help or a hindrance.) Take a look at healthy people playing:

If you don’t think that’s an amazing idea, then we’re not friends, and you’re no longer invited to my birthday party. This is just 48 hours work, and for that, much applause.

If this goes on to be a fully fledged project, it’d be ace to see them consider options for those not as physically able as others. It’d be a bummer to be at that party on wheels. But gosh, I do hope it goes on to become a fully fledged project. I might even buy a Kinect. And make some friends.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. qwertz8765 says:

Surely this has been done before?, it’s hard to believe that in all the time Kinect existed, nobody came up with that idea.

• Ich Will says:

Yeah, there was a sand pouring game on phones where it captures your silhouette with the camera and you funnel the sand. That was years ago.

2. yogibbear says:

Release soundtrack as OST for $5 please! Want to fill all elevators and escalators everywhere with those sick beats!

• ThTa says:

You could simply extract it from the sharedassets1.assets file (using a Unity assets extractor) in the download they’ve got.

3. Toeofdoom says:

Nice concept! We had some webcam experimentation in Melbourne too – our team made a game about building bridges and stairs out of paper for a game character. Then there was the eyebrow rhythm game. :D

4. alexheretic says:

Oh dear, I was looking forward to the birthday party.

5. Fenix says:

This is really cool. Also, Italian indie scene represent!!

6. oyog says:

A fantastic idea, but it’ll never make it over here in America, what with our Bubba Kegs and our breakfast corn dogs. The developers will be called politically incorrect and prejudiced and they’ll have to make a handicapped mode for the morbidly obese.

Comment on this story