Geeks And Groundhogs: Randal’s Monday

By Adam Smith on January 31st, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Randal’s Monday is a point and click adventure starring a man doomed to repeat the same dreadful Monday over and over again. John first spotted it in December 2012 and I theorise that development has been stuck in a loop similar to the fictional one in the game’s plot since then. Now, a press release informs me that Daedalic have picked the game up for distribution and it’ll be out in the third quarter of this year. Packed with game, TV and movie references, Randal’s Monday is a “homage to geek culture”. However, I reckon it grabbed the attention of the Deponia developers by including a main character who is described as “a kleptomaniac with sociopathic tendencies who above all is a terrible friend”. Rufus and Randal need some kind of support group.

Hopefully most of those pop culture references aren’t quite like the final line of that trailer, which appears to have been inserted with a mile long neon-bright shoehorn.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. JanusForbeare says:

There is a wookie… in a Trek uniform… someone help me, my mind isn’t prepared to deal with heresy of this magnitude.

2. Gravy100 says:

This looks so terribly unfunny and amaturish, geeky references instead of real jokes and a lazy ‘haha he’s a jerk!’ main character.

3. rustybroomhandle says:

“The golden age of point & click adventures is back”

Bugger off.

There have been point & click adventures coming out regularly for the past 20+ years. Some using present day tech of their time, some imitating styles of yore. The “golden age” was when exactly? I’ll tell you when… it was whenever it was… and now is now. But now there are folks pretending it is then, but then is still then, and now is a different time than then. But then there are those who wish now was then, but it’s not. If you pretend that now is then, then you are just pretending, okay?

EDIT: Yeah yeah, I know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o

4. The Random One says:

“a kleptomaniac with sociopathic tendencies who above all is a terrible friend”

Sounds like every RPG main character ever. But it’s a point-and-click! Wottatwist!

5. Felixader says:

Can anyone point out point and click adventures where you are actually caring about the character that you play and not wish he/she/it got hit by a car?

I know there are quite a few, but most of them are from a few years ago, so i ask because i want to know if i missed some.

Can someone tell me of the character of Deponia changes attitude later (oerhabs in the sequels?) because that kinda kept me from continuing the game.
    I am kinda tired of characters that are and even worse stay dicks and you are suppossed to care about them.

• MuricanMayonnaise says:

Yeah, this game looks pretty trite all around.

As for well-made characters in recent adventures, basically everything from Wadjet Eye Games in recent years especially has pretty solid characterization IMO – Gemini Rue, Primordia, Resonance, the Blackwell series. Come to think of it, I think they may be my favorite character-wise among modern indie adventure devs.

There were many other adventures with good characters last year – The Raven, The Cat Lady (not comedy), Cognition, The Journey Down, and Broken Sword 5 are mostly from 2013. (The Journey Down is from 2012). The protagonist of Face Noir is also pretty decent.

As for Deponia, I can’t speak to that protagonist improving over the series as I haven’t played it, but Daedalic definitely strikes me as a mixed bag when it comes to characterization – I wouldn’t expect much :-/.

• phlebas says:

Wadjet Eye games are generally good – The Blackwell games, The Shivah, Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia all have protagonists who are likeable (or at least relatable) and not complete assholes.
      The first chapter of The Raven features one of the most likeable and original game heroes in a long time – I gather the other parts are less impressive though.

• Philomelle says:

From what I heard, Rufus actually has the dubious honor of becoming an even worse human being as the game goes on.

That said, the protagonist of Journey Down is more adorkable than anything. Most Wadjet Eye protagonists are weary, but with a good center. Both protagonists in Broken Age are sweethearts, Vella more so than Shay (one of her most charming moments is that she keeps apologizing for doing the kind of troll-ish things most P&C protagonists would do without batting an eye). The Creature in Oknytt is also chronically helpful and pleasant.

I’m sure I’m missing someone, but it’s mostly Daedalic who practices the asshole protagonist direction these days. Unfortunately, they do it pretty badly.

• SRTie4k says:

Telltale’s Sam and Max are still lovable and funny. But they’re simply aloof rather than obnoxiously rude.

• Felixader says:

Thanks for the many answer people, That will keep me busy for a while. ^-^

6. emptee says:

yeah, this looks awful…

7. toxic avenger says:

Will it be as distastefully misogynistic as the Deponia games?

8. SillyWizard says:

Family Guy meets Point & Click.

Be still my beating heart….

9. Turkey says:

It’s kinda hard to go back to basic nerd-reference humor when The Venture Bros have been dishing you the deepest pop-culture cuts for like 5 seasons.

Comment on this story