Telos Re-thinks The Competitive FPS, Adds Spidermechs

By Graham Smith on January 31st, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

I will kill things here.

I love the purity of the fast-paced deathmatch shooter, and I’ll drunkenly slam my fists down on any pub table in the country while shouting about the beauty of Quake 3: Arena. I’m a little sad though that so few games are trying to move that style of game in new directions.

I’m consequently excited by Telos, an in-development fast-paced first-person shooter about two-storey tall spidermechs with grappling hooks fighting in partially zero-g levels built out of abstract, purple shapes. Video below.

Developers! Make developer diaries! Whether it’s reading Kickstarter updates, following Overgrowth-style video diaries, or browsing old .plan updates for Cliff Bleszinski’s opinion of Buffy episodes, there’s little better than reading or listening to a designer talk through their thought process.

Telos is being made by Overpowered Games, aka Justin Pierce, who has previously only released mobile games. Over on the Telos devblog, he explains that those were meant “to fund what I really wanted to make, but I didn’t find the kind of success I needed for that to happen.” Telos is what he really wants to make. It’s also what I really want him to make, so this is working out well already.

Follow the Telos blog for updates as they happen.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

ErraticGamer says:

That looks ridiculously fun to run around in. Following this one for sure.

• kris713 says:

what Patrick said I’m shocked that a mom able to get paid $5552 in four weeks on the internet. did you read this site link
      .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., bit.ly/1aNtBWj

2. LionsPhil says:

Posssssibly wants to make the character models a little less Tachikoma-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off.

Go on. Be bold. Actually give the spiderbots eight legs. (It’d probably a first for gaming.)

• KDR_11k says:

Also I don’t get why they have human-like hands, those are always the silliest part of a shooty mech combat game. Like how Armored Core lets you mount gigantic cannons on your mech but the only link to the chassis is a tiny robot hand despite the weapon requiring the mech to anchor its legs to the ground (or be mounted on a tank chassis that’s like twice the size of the rest of the mech) to fire.

More legs on spiderbots definitely make a lot of sense too, means they can keep walking if a few legs get shot off.

Gap Gen says:

Spiderbot, Spiderbot, does whatever a spider cannot.

• Phasma Felis says:

I think (in Armored Core) the big guns that require bracing are all shoulder-mounted. They may have changed that in the recent games, though.

Anyway. I’m fine with the humanoid hands (instant weapon swaps! useful!) but I’m not sure why it has legs it doesn’t actually use at all.

• Gargenville says:

I don’t know I think it makes a certain kind of sense to design your murderbots to be able to quickly and autonomously swap weapons instead of having to dock somewhere to have weapons bolted on. Humanoid hands are harder to justify but they’d be easier for the pilots to wrap their heads around assuming some kind of mind-link control setup and also nice and versatile whenever you aren’t actively shooting stuff, maybe? I draw the line at robot-sized rifles with giant mechanical triggers though, that’s just silly.

3. firefek says:

Someone seems to like Ghost in The Shell a lot. Not complaining. The spider tanks were both indescribably cool and adorable.

4. DrMcCoy says:

For a moment there I thought you’re talking about Telos IV :P

5. nullward says:

Tachikomas… in SPACE!!

Looks awesome.

6. xaphoo says:

Remember Plain Sight? This is like that.

• Ogun says:

Plain Sight was a fantastic game – if this can be anything like that but with people actually playing it, I will be happy.

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, this is the problem with the indie arena shooter – once it drops below critical mass on the servers, it dies.

7. KirbyEvan says:

Interested, but I hope the netcode is good.

Too many a game with fast movement and grapple hooks has been reduced to whom is the least laggiest.

I’m also not really a fan of the gliding; if you have procedurally generated spider legs, why wouldn’t you add a procedurally generated walking animation?

It seems like such a waste, but it might be hard to implement so I can’t blame them.

• Nixitur says:

I am not entirely sure, but it looks like he wants the player characters to retain their momentum when landing, sort of like skiing in Tribes: Ascend which wouldn’t make sense if you had them run around instead of gliding.

9of9 says:

Finally!

The sooner the world of mech games comes to accept that 2 legs = bad and 4+ legs = good then the sooner we will have world peace.

• Phasma Felis says:

That’s not entirely fair. 2 legs = good. It’s just that 4 legs = better.

9. Nixitur says:

This looks extremely interesting. I’ve always been a fan of grappling hooks in gaming, but I haven’t really seen any 3D games that do it well. And no, Zelda-style hookshots don’t count because there is no swinging involved, just getting from place A to place B via a straight line.
    However, this game seems to get it right. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this.

10. subedii says:

Welp, may as well post this for those that don’t get the Tachikoma references:

11. Fixious says:

Recently interviewed the developer and asked him a few questions about the game, for anyone interested in learning more about it.

12. Wedge says:

That looks like some lovely movement… but why is it being wasted on making a competitive FPS that will have no player base?

13. Shadowcat says:

That looks neat. Justin Pierce and Energy Hook‘s Jamie Fristrom should probably work together some time :)

14. wilmermsteiner says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site…..

15. jankenbattle says:

I know no-one would seriously suggest there aren’t any Quake III successors out there without having played the almost total-but-much-much-faster-and-more-fun-Quake-III clone WARSOW, which I discovered via RPS and am eternally grateful!

We’ve had many an expletive-laden LAN playing this game, perfect for a Q3 veteran to pick up and instantly play. Beers are thrown, friendships destroyed. I’m sure Graham has played it and simply thought it too obvious to mention!

• Theon says:

Personally, I feel Warsow is a lot closer to UT than Q3A, and also, that Cube 2: Sauerbraten (which is EVEN faster, and has a lot better netcode) is much more enjoyable – and more closer to Quake.
      That said, both Warsow and Sauerbraten are just that: Close. They’re basically clones, and as such, not really “successors”. Telos is the most innovative thing I’ve seen done with the Arena FPS-genre since the first Quake, and for that it really does deserve som recognition. This thing could really work.

16. jeffreyesteelman says:

17. sharonakemp says:

my buddy’s mom makes $79 hourly on the internet . She has been without work for seven months but last month her pay was $20122 just working on the internet for a few hours. Look At This =========>>> http://www.jobs39.com

18. oldfart says:

Really interesting. I got a Descent vibe from the video. IMHO you should be able to crawl walls and hang from the ceiling for some cool ambush potential.