The Serafinowiczer: Dark Souls II Adds Brit Actor

By Adam Smith on January 31st, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

There’s a video containing nine minutes of Dark Souls II action just below the break, but if you’re anything like me you’ll be waiting to play the blasted thing rather than watching every piece of footage that emerges. I skimmed through and can confidently state that ragged cloaks are this season’s must have accessory, whether you’re beast or barbarian. If you skip to the end of the video, or stick with it for the duration, you’ll be able to hear the thoughtful tones of Peter Serafinowicz, a surprise addition to the cast. Surprising to me, at least, since I’ll always think of him as plum-gobbed Duane Benzie, who you can also see below.

We shouldn’t have to wait too long to see this on PC, with the console dates set for March 14th and PC ominously following later. Let’s hope it’s a few minutes later, eh?

Now for Duane. Note that every possible Frost/Pegg/Wright/ film already happened in an episode of Spaced.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Billards says:

“Dom, hi…”

• Darkhorse says:

He did the voice of Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace
      go google it

• kris713 says:

what Patrick said I’m shocked that a mom able to get paid $5552 in four weeks on the internet. did you read this site link
        .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., bit.ly/1aNtBWj

• kris713 says:

my neighbor’s mom makes $66 an hour on the internet. She has been without work for 5 months but last month her income was $16989 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site ..,.,..,.,.,., jobs80
        (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• Buttephon says:

my friend’s step-mother makes $67 every hour on the laptop . She has been fired for 8 months but last month her check was $15271 just working on the laptop for a few hours. you can try here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

2. Turkey says:

Man, British comedy is so incestuous. That guy is in almost everything that spawned from Big Train.

Nothing he’s done beats Look Around You, though. That show is amazing.

3. MerseyMal says:

Still think that it was criminal of the BBC to not let him have another series of The Peter Serafinowicz Show.

4. oceanclub says:

His bit on Black Books is hysterical. “Fran….. *EEEK!* Fran….. *OOOH!*”

5. DrollRemark says:

“At last, I will emerge as the victor. At last, I will have… revenge.”

6. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’ve always found him supremely creepy, so a good fit, I guess!

7. dangermouse76 says:

Tim Bisley: You ready, Mike?
    Mike Watt: I was born ready, Timmy.
    Tim Bisley: Yeah, but are you ready now?
    Mike Watt: Uhh… yeah.

Fucking gold !

8. Ross Angus says:

Thanks, Serafinowicz.

Therafinowicz.

9. Henke says:

Graphicswise that’s kinda underwhelming. It doesn’t look much better than the first game, and it does seem a bit glitchy as well. Like at 5:27 when the character to the left glides forward a couple steps instead of walking, and at the end when Duane’s spear goes though his head. :/

• Pheeze says:

Looks like the console version. PC gameplay has shown the game to have much nicer graphics on the masterrace gaming platform!

• 65 says:

It was was developed for the last generation of consoles, so I’m not entirely sure why you were expecting any improvement at all.

• Henke says:

Dark Souls looked better than Demon’s Souls (imo), and they were both on the same generation of platform. It’s not uncommon that devs manage to squeeze a bit of extra juice out of their engines for new games. Dark Souls is one of my favourite games ever so my expectations for the sequel are high. Seeing stuff like the low res textures, and the spear going through the head at the end is kinda disappointing. Hopefully it’s not indicative of the effort put into the rest of the game.

• fish99 says:

Well, it’s the same console generation, and presumably the same engine, and the Souls games have never excelled in the engine department. There’s bits in both Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls where the frame rate gets under 5 fps (on console).

It’s not like Bethesda where they have all the monies and can make a new engine every ga….. oh wait.

• thebigJ_A says:

Even this version in the video (which is PS3 footage) does have better lighting and cloth physics. I see a definite improvement, and viseo I’ve seen that I believe was running on PC looked even better.

The seem to have sacrificed the ragdoll bodies to get what improvements they could, though. Oh corpses stuck to my feet, the fun we had together…

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I thought the animation in the fighting was amazing, very fluid, and yes the lighting has a kind of ‘presence’ to it. It oddly reminds me of 80′s kids horror TV shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Xcuu8LrU4)

The art style gives me the same sense of being imminently infected by some awful parasite or virus, and that satisfying SCHHLIMM when the enemies fall to your final swing … ahhh Dark Souls. Weclome back.

• fish99 says:

Just to be clear I wasn’t criticizing how the game looks, I haven’t even watched any of the trailers (I don’t want any of it spoiled). I was just explaining why I personally wouldn’t expect a big leap in graphics when it has to run on PS3/360. I’m glad to hear they have been able to improve some stuff though.

10. Azazel says:

Legend. Anyone who contributed to Spaced is a great human being. His love of Dark Souls confirms it.

11. thebigJ_A says:

From a rather long and informative interview on Giantbomb ( http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/it-s-a-dark-souls-ii-interview/1600-743/ ) it seems the wait will be longer than originally implied for the PC version.

He didn’t give any date (which is in itself a bad sign so close to the console release) and I got the impression we may be waiting longer than the two or three weeks that has been previously suggested. I do appreciate how he emphasizes the PC port will be a proper one, at least.

Am I going to have to dig out my 360? I want to go in fresh, and be part of the community of discovery, but i don’t want to play the lesser version nor buy it twice (which I will if I get the console one first). If it’s more than a month, I wont be able to wait.

The game looks so damn good!

12. Scumbag says:

So long as he keeps the acting awkward and slightly off. Part of the character of Dark Souls was how off everyone seemed IMO.

13. noodlecake says:

He’s an amazing impressionist and amazing at doing voices in general so I think this could be really good.

14. Suction Testicle Man says:

I hope they use him for his range, not just his standard hearty trailer-man voice.

15. trjp says:

I love Spaced because it confuses the hell out of people who didn’t live in the UK around that time.

It gets mentioned on things like Giant Bomb and you can tell they’re COMPLETELY lost on it – a bit like we are on that ‘game’ they play with a ball nowhere near their feet…

• callmeclean says:

How so? I live in Australia and was only a boy around the time of the production of Space, but I have watched it and loved it and get a lot of the references. I understand the fact that people in different countries like me will probably not get as many of the references as British people, but to say we are confused by it?

16. Brannigan says:

Not surprised at all, he’s a massive fan of dark souls

17. Innovacious says:

If you had followed him on twitter you would know he loves dark souls and went through a phase of retweeting tons of dark souls videos.

18. Bull0 says:

Oh, god. Peter Serafinowicz is the best. This is one of my favourites

19. Max.I.Candy says:

He’s got the perfect glib/indifferent voice for Dark Souls.

20. Coriform says:

Aw, no Butterfield

21. markside says:

Clever boys.

22. BreadBitten says:

Cut Rate James Mason?

23. Noburu says:

My name is Stanley with a C…

24. ukpanik says:

Immersion breaker.

25. Cosm says:

“Look who it is!”

“Fuck-a-doodle-do!”

26. Low Life says:

I had not realized that the guy voicing Darth Maul was the guy from Spaced and Shaun of the Dead.

27. Noxman says:

In the Dark Souls II video why does everything sound like it’s filled with water? Swing sploosh, swing sploosh, dodge sploosh. Climbs up ladder sploosh sploosh sploosh.

28. wilmermsteiner says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site…..

29. azrd79 says:

The dude playing in that vid kinda sucks at it.

30. Zekiel says:

But.. but.. that Spaced video missed the best bit – immediately after that video ends with Pegg going NOOOOOOOOO it cuts to Pegg and Frost walking home from the paintballing with one of them saying “well, that was fun”.

Anyway here’s my favourite Peter Serafinowicz sketch:

31. Theroux says:

YOU SHOT ME IN THE BOLLOCKS TIM.

In the years I’ve been reading RPS I think I’ve posted maybe 2 or 3 comments, but I never pass up a chance to quote Duane Benzie.

32. joe football says:

That guy really sounds like paul mcgann

33. radomaj says:

He loves Dark Souls. This video is from May 2012! http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/05/25/peter-serafinowicz-on-dark-souls In it, he says he tried to contact FROM Software to be “involved in directing the voiceovers in the new game”. I guess he succeeded. Good for him.

34. jeffreyesteelman says:

35. sharonakemp says:

my buddy’s mom makes $79 hourly on the internet . She has been without work for seven months but last month her pay was $20122 just working on the internet for a few hours. Look At This =========>>> http://www.jobs39.com

36. someguyxx says:

Yes, it’s a matter of public record that Mr. Serafinowicz loves video games in general, and Dark Souls in specific.

Not a surprise at all to see him in the game, I’m sure he’s very excited to be part of it and I’m sure his talents will only improve the game.

Comment on this story