10000000+1: You Must Build A Boat

By Alec Meer on February 4th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Hey kids, remember April 2008? Remember You Have To Burn The Rope? Remember how we laughed? Well, You Must Build A Boat has absolutely nothing to do with that. A new game with an imperative in its title just sent me all nostalgic. Look at the stuff we were banging on about back then. Blueberry Garden! Demigod! Jetpack Brontosaurus! Possible Deus Ex 3 concept art!

Man. Man. No, no, I’m fine, I’m just… sniff. I SAID I’M FINE. It’s just been raining on my face.

You Must Build A Boat is the sequel to wonderful RPG/match-3/endless runner mash-up 10000000. It’ll also be free to existing 10000000 owners.

YMBAB began life as an expansion to 10000000, but dev Luca Redwood found it eventually deviated so far from its parent game that it made sense to spin it into its own thing.

As far as I can tell, there’s now much more focus on having an adventure of your own, rather than simply striving to beat the thing. For instance, you get to capture monsters to, er, perform special services on your quests, recruit crew members to bolster you base and make snap decisions such as whether to try and translate ancient runes or smash open the thing they’re inscribed onto.

This is all I know. I got it all from looking at this webpage. I’m sorry. I’ll find out more soon. Oh, wait, he told us this too:

“It still has the same frantic-fast paced running and matching from 10000000, but each run is preceded by a period of exploration where you come across lots of choose-your-own-adventure style choices. You’ll be going on missions to get more crew for the boat you must build, find artefacts and the like, so what is a good choice for one mission, might be a bad choice for another, and there are always cool risk analysis based tradeoffs or choices to increase the rewards in exchange for making things more difficult.”

I’m also going to go out on a limb here and predict that at some point in the game, you must build a boat.

I loved 10000000, so the idea of a more fleshed-out, varied, player-personal take on it is enormously appealing.

Also, the plan is for anyone who bought 10000000 on PC to receive a free copy of You Must Build A Boat, given that was the original promise back when it was only planned as an expansion. Which is jolly nice, isn’t it?

There’s a little more detail on the whys and wherefore of YMBAB’s genesis here. It also has a link to buy 10000000 if you like, as it’s currently discounted to $1.50.

IMPORTANT DECLARATION OF INTEREST: YMBAB dev Luca Redwood lent me his Oculus Rift a while back, after Twitter-seeing me agonising over whether to buy one. While I have never actually met the fellow (he posted the Rift to me), it is my opinion that he is A Good Egg and therefore it’s theoretically possible that anything I might say about his games is monstrously distorted by gratitude. YOU DECIDE.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Curratum says:

In related news, 10,000,000 is currently a week-long deal on Steam and costs EUR 0.99, so yeah.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Yep. Saw that yesterday after work and bought it, started playing and suddenly it was midnight. A really nice little game, although somewhat ruined by my defective mouse.

• bill says:

It’s also on sale on the google play store.

I’d never heard of it, but I was considering getting it when it popped up there as it looked interesting. So this post on RPS is both surprising and timely. Off to read old review…

PS/ Did everyone already know that Dungeon Keeper was on android???

2. Phinor says:

Ooh, I didn’t even hear about that (free) 10000000 expansion plan. I bought 10000000 day 1 on PC and really enjoyed it for what it was so to get a free game with similar style? Yes please. I wouldn’t mind paying for it either but this works too.

10000000 is fun to type. You could also cheat by copy/pasting but that really takes the fun out of counting zeroes. 10000000.

3. DThor says:

I only played this on android, I had no idea it existed on PC. I am shame. It seems to me, however, that it would be less fun on a desktop vs a tablet because, well, because. It feels great under the fingers and I can’t imagine needing to go through a mouse for that 5-combo. Just because.

Anyway, hope he ports it to Android, I’d be more than happy to pay for it since the original cost me a lot of “are you coming out of there EVER and my parents are waiting for us and when are you taking out the garbage?’s.

• Noumenon says:

I agree, I’m surprised it was ever even out for PC because it felt so touch native. And I want to give the guy some money some time, I don’t want it to be free!

4. Ergates_Antius says:

More games should involve building boats.

5. Tei says:

I am playing 10M again on the phone. Its weird when you get both the ugraded “No wood or stone” and “20% of your wood and stone become gold” at the same time, but it works :D

10M is addicting, but not as much a DungeonRaid, I am scared to play DR even 1 minute.

6. roryok says:

I’m not crying
    It’s just been raining
    on my face
    And if you think you see some tear tracks down my cheeks
    Please. Pleasee, don’t tell my mates
    I’m not crying
    No, I’m not crying
    And if I am crying
    It’s not because of you
    It’s because I’m thinking about a friend of mine who you don’t know who is dying
    That’s right, dying
    These aren’t tears of sadness because you’re leaving me
    I’ve just been cutting onions
    I’m making a lasagna
    For one

• identiti_crisis says:

For your information, there’s an inflammation in my tear gland.

• identiti_crisis says:

Apparently I missed when editing posts stopped working again… (browser dependent?)

I meant to include this:

• identiti_crisis says:

Not sure if RPS’ post invigilator is eating all the URLs again. It’ll get indigestion and be all grumpy and such, and I won’t even mention the mess…

My, don’t I look silly? I certainly feel it.

• Shadowcat says:

Post editing is only available if you enable javascript for the site.

• identiti_crisis says:

Thanks, no idea how / why it came to be disabled, but it was!

7. karthink says:

April 2008 was a fantastic month for RPS–In addition to the stuff Alec mentions, it hosted Quinn’s Pathologic diaries, a Planescape: Torment speed run and design diary, and a link to some hilariously poor predictions by Cracked.

8. golem09 says:

I only got it on android, because, touch, obviously? Any plans for that?

9. Dances to Podcasts says:

The game’s imperative is funny, because my town is currently flooding. (Which is why I live halfway up a hill muhahaha)

Comment on this story