For A Song: MirrorMoon EP Expands, On Sale

By Adam Smith on February 4th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

null

To coincide with a week-long Steam sale, the enigmatic MirrorMoon EP has expanded its repertoire of planetary structures, adding objects that pay homage to various games, including Kentucky Route Zero and Gone Home. It’s entirely possible that I made a huge mistake when I allowed this one to slip off the frighteningly extensive list of games that I intend to play. I did noodle around with the prototype, which introduced the puzzling concept hinted at in the game’s title, but have only visited the full release a couple of times. It reminds me somewhat of Starseed Pilgrim, in that it lacks guidance or instruction but is constructed around concepts of puzzle and play rather than being a ‘go for a walk’ experience. The game is currently £4.19 through Steam, a 40% discount that firmly plants it in actual EP territory.

How does it all work? I don’t really know but it starts like this – the player is upon a planet with a single moon hanging in the space above like a malevolent and mysterious disco ball. Strange objects and structures are strewn about the surface of planet and moon alike and the discoveries on either one are mirrored on the other. Initially obtuse, the full release punched me in the neural tissue, but as exploration through the galaxy continues, the journey is a bit like sorting through the spilled remnants of a thousand alien toyboxes.

We just pushed to Steam our latest update for MirrorMoon EP, hopefully fixing some of the issues you might have encountered and adding some extra secrets especially for those of you who have been exploring extensively in the last few months.

Join us in Season 32 to discover new, extremely rare, artifacts! Thank you for playing!

I’m determined to learn more of its secrets but am slightly intimidated by the fact that I’ve already missed out on 31 ‘seasons’. They’re all available to play with and, if I understand correctly, a new season is opened as soon as certain planets on the current galaxy are discovered and named by players. There’s no continual narrative to catch up on but the community currently scouring the planets and their moons have probably evolved into star children – do they really need me to join them, scratching my head by the side of my Commander Keenesque craft?

For more on MirrorMoon, read the fine words of Duncan Harris. That article also mentions Captain Blood, which automatically makes it one of the best articles.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. dontnormally says:

I understand that perhaps the ephemeral nature of this is quite the point, but I wish I had any idea what was going on after all I’ve read and the youtube videos I’ve watched.

• Darth Grabass says:

I got burnt out on it pretty quick. Steam says I’ve played for 3 hours, but I would have guessed much, much more than that. It felt like once I understood the central mechanic, it was all over for me.

So yeah, in that sense, I guess the whole point of the game is to experience it yourself. That said, the reason I played it was because someone here described it as Proteus in space, which it is not…at all. If anyone is still wondering what MirrorMoon is exactly, it’s a puzzle game.

emotionengine says:

At the risk of sounding terribly, terribly clichéd, you really have to experience the game for yourself to be able appreciate its enigmatic charm. Textual descriptions or videos of someone else having their go at it just won’t do it justice. Having said that, I’m hardly far into the game myself after only a few hours of play, but what I’ve witnessed so far was very compelling in a way few games even attempt to pull off. There is a genuine sense of wonder and discovery here, and the minimalist art and music all work in concert to convey to us mere mortals on earth this strange, intricate, fabulous… thing that I’m pretty certain must have dropped from outer space.

2. Skabooga says:

I’ve been playing off and on for the past few months, and while I think I’ve seen most everything there is to see, I can’t help but feel that there is this larger, ominous secret that I’m just gliding over the surface of and have yet to scratch. I like that feeling, and because I don’t want to be disabused of it, I haven’t checked to see if I’m right or wrong in my feeling.

3. Nikita "Hot Stuff" Khrushchev says:

I immediately fell in love with MirrorMoon EP even though I spent around the first 2 hours without a clue as to what I was doing. The main puzzle, to me, is just figuring out what the hell you’re doing and what’s going on. Take the cockpit for instance, which is full of unlabeled knobs and levers that all do something, but the only way to figure out what they do is through extensive trial and error. The game doesn’t really tell you when you’ve solved a puzzle or level, instead it’s more of a “doing this makes this happen….which is good…I guess” kind of thing. I’m sure a lot of people would be frustrated and turned off by this, but I found it rather enjoyable. I found it to be a very meditative experience as there is no real sense of urgency or need to solve one of the obtuse “puzzles” quickly.

After you grasp the main mechanics of the game, there does seem to been a main goal to it all, which is to find the “anomaly”. Doing so beats the game and gets you an achievement. Here lies the true challenge of the game. Finding the anomaly is done by randomly stumbling upon by blind luck or by attempting to navigate through the player-named constellations. I found that having this goal of finding the anomaly made the game much deeper.

4. Convolvulus says:

The discount is duplicated on the Humble Store and the game’s official site.