Mechs For A Good Time: Matador Trailer

By Graham Smith on February 4th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Violence at night: the coolest time for violence.

Sometimes a game comes along that looks like a dark future robot rag to the Rock, Paper, Shotgun bull. Today that’s Matador: an isometric shooter in which you pick a mech, a driver, your weapons and defences, and then rumble around a city with the intention of killing everything that lives there.

Almost for the art style alone, it reminds me of Syndicate. Trailer below.

Nice fonts.

By the sounds of it, you’re not going to be spending a great deal of time driving around in cars or taking cover in Matador. It’s purely on the ultraviolence-in-an-isometric-city-at-night side of Syndicate. I’m OK with that. The website describes the challenges as being “semi-randomized”, which I’d guess means pre-built levels but you’re never quite sure how many trucks you’ll need to stomp on in the next district. The site also notes that, “There is no xp. There are no saves. When you die, start over and try, try again.” Which in the current climate of game journalism, means that it’s definitely a roguelike, and exactly like Rogue in every possible way. Cool.

, , .

1. Danny252 says:

>The game’s creators are blogging and streaming regularly about the game’s development over here.

Tweeting and streaming, maybe, but the number of blog posts since June is a mind-blowing six.

• Jams O'Donnell says:

That’s still a lot more frequent than some! *cough*Xenonauts*cough*

• HughSJ says:

That’s a mea culpa on my end. We’ve done a better job of keeping our TIGForums devlog up to date, and I’m in the process now of transcribing much of that info back onto our primary site. The trouble is treading the line between interesting vs informative content. Now that the game is announced though we’ll be more active in maintaining the blog.

& thanks for posting Graham. We just launched our Greenlight as well, would you mind embedding that in the post itself? Thanks!

2. ColCol says:

“it’s definitely a roguelike, and exactly like Rogue in every possible way. Cool.”

Be Careful Smith, you’re grabbing the bull by the horns!

• Kollega says:

No, it’s you who has to be careful. For Graham, criticism is like seeing red.

• mouton says:

Check the tags under the article (:

• Baines says:

No no no. With the current climate of games journalism and internet posting, it is definitely a rougelike. Which probably means it is exactly like, uhm, Rouge?

Philopoemen says:

this makes we want to go reinstall MechCommander (then work out how to get it to run in Win8…)

4. MasterBoo says:

Reminds me of the 90′s Jungle/Desert Strike games.

• PonchoD says:

Or the oft forgotten Future Cop: LAPD, the spiritual successor to the Strike series…but with a mech/hover car.

• Blue_Lemming says:

It just wasn’t as fun to play as a mech compared to a chopper, I’ll reserve judgement on this one,

• apocraphyn says:

Pah, lies! I liked the Strike games a hell of a lot, but Future Cop LAPD was brilliantly fun – especially the competitive multiplayer mode. I guess that mode was sort of a proto-MOBA, essentially? (I may be talking out of my backside here, I’m not an expert when it comes to MOBAs.)

Anyway, to me, this game looks very enticing. I’ll mech sure to keep an eye on it.

• Kollega says:

“Future Cop LAPD” was my first thought when I saw the trailer. And my second thought, to be honest, was “meh… not my kind of game, don’t like the art style.”

• Gargenville says:

Fun Fact: Pandemic’s (fantastic) Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction was originally intended to be a Strike reboot but got shot down because EA wouldn’t know a match made in heaven if they owned Criterion and Road Rash.

• bigblack says:

Oh Mercenaries, what a lovely game that was.
          And holy hell I loved Jungle/Desert Strike!

• J Arcane says:

They actually did a Mechwarrior game with a similar engine for SNES at the time. It was fairly good.

• Jekhar says:

That one was also on the Mega Drive. I thought it was ok at the time, almost seemed like a total conversion of the Strike games. The one thing i remember most about it is the Mad Cats animation (walk cycle). I was really impressed by it back then for some reason.

• Sacarathe says:

I was too young back then, but I would totally buy those on gog.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Desert Strike is still pretty fun 22 years later (GOG plx!). Awesome title music and the “story” of a lone Apache helicopter taking out Dr Evil-Saddam-Gaddafi’s entire armed forces is probably better today than in ’92.
      (And the third one, Urban Strike never existed. On-foot missions, what were they thinking!?).

• Gargenville says:

I still remember the code BQQQAEZ gave you ten lives (it was a hard game and I was like 11 okay)

• 0positivo says:

Thanks for shattering my childhood. The Sega Mega Drive and Urban strike (along with the Addam Family and F-22 Interceptor) were my first foray into gaming, and I always held them up there as some of the best I ever played

• BadCatWillum says:

DMA Design’s Walker crossed with Desert Strike, in Syndicate.
      There, have we established its definitive ancestry?

Or can I fit Tornado Low Level in too?

Hanban says:

I initiatlly followed the development because I was under the incorrect impression that it was gonna be a TBS mech game.

After I realized that it wasn’t I still followed the development because MECHS that’s why.

6. aldo_14 says:

I said it somewhere else, but makes me think Syndicator + Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken.

7. BattleXer says:

Sorry to be the spelling-nazi, but it’s “capital” city…

• fearian says:

hey, *pssst* – They know. They did it on purpose. It fits in with the language of the trailer.

8. grimdanfango says:

Mmmm… tasty. Mech Commander set in Syndicate. That’s beautiful :-)

Really makes me realise just how much I want a decent damned Syndicate sequel though.

Now, if they had it so that your cyborg squad could walk around on foot, and also climb into mechs as well as other vehicles… that could actually transcend Syndicate. As has already been noted in a comment above: everything’s better with Mechs.

9. Pow pow LAZERS! says:

Looks cool, but what’s the message?

10. Pheeze says:

Reminds me of the old mech-shooter Bedlam. Looks promising.

11. buzzmong says:

That colour pallette reminds me of Syndicate.

12. alms says: