New Rain World Trailer As Beautiful As Previous Trailers

By Graham Smith on February 5th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Slugcat in the snow, where do you go, to find something you could eat?

With every new trailer, Rain World moves a little further towards being the indie game I’m most looking forward to this year. It’s a challenging platformer set in a dripping alien world, in which you control Slugcat, a bounding white acrobat in an ecosystem of tasty, swarming bats and vicious lizards. Oh, the lizards – look at that one’s tongue!

It’s beautiful and physicsy and ecosystemy and there’s a new trailer below, showing more of its world than ever.

Rain World has been successfully funded via Kickstarter, earning almost twice its asking amount with eight days to go. Previous videos had shown off part of its world and the mannerisms of its different coloured enemies, but this latest video shows a whole lot more. From the Kickstarter update:

As the search for food and shelter takes you farther from the familiarity of your home nest, these rooms begin to span different environments and terrains; from your earthy burrows far underground, to ancient industrial jungle, chimney-pipe canopy, shattered cityscapes, machinery, bogs, blight and beyond!

Can all my posts have GIFs now? Here’s the Garbage Worm from the trailer:

It’s beautiful. I’ll see if I can get my hands on a build or a developer in order to do more coverage.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Felixader says:

Why is this video only in 400p? That is an afront to its beauty!

2. youhavemyaxe says:

The aesthetic is too good. I want to have this game but I know myself and I can just tell I probably would never really game this game and then this game will languish in my game library with dozens of other games that I’ve never really gamed.

Damn

• Nenjin says:

I concur. I absolutely love the styling of this game, and can almost see myself playing and getting immersed in being a cat-like creature exploring rain-soaked ruins.
      But straight platforming games have never held my attention for very long, and while I like giving money to developers who do cool things, actually playing their product is kind of a prerequisite to me buying it.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, it looks really pretty, but I don’t get that much out of minimalistic games.

3. kwyjibo says:

Yeah, some in depth coverage with the dev would be awesome.

4. Rizlar says:

AArgh my eyes! It’s too lovely!

5. Wedge says:

I’m considering 50k the real minimum here, since that’s what they’re listing as something to get it off the limitations (platform and otherwise) of Game Maker. Though really I’d like it to succeed that by a comfortable margin to make sure that’s something that really happens.

Not that I think there’s anything naturally wrong with Game Maker (Gunpoint and the not-covered-at-all-on-RPS Valdis Story are amazing), but the developer made it clear there were limitations in the game as a result of it (in terms of AI, screenspace, effects, etc.).

• vivlo says:

Ah. Well, i thought “there is a strong Knytt feeling in this one”, but then, gamemaker.

• fylth says:

Unfortunately the game isn’t using Game Maker, it’s using an old version of Macromedia Director (I think, or something along those lines) which was outdated when development began. The dev stated that this is because this was originally a small experimental project, so he didn’t have time to learn a new language to make it in, and now it’s too big for him to easily port by himself.

• Wedge says:

Yeah I actually read that and totally forgot. Which is really an even worse case than Game Maker, and why it desperately needs to be on something else.

6. neckro23 says:

This thing is pretty firmly in “shut up and take my money” territory, but I wonder what the deal is with the 15 fps framerate on all the trailers. If it’s a bad screen capture, they should really be more careful with how they present the game, since the animation is a good chunk of the selling point. If it’s deliberate, then WTF?

7. PopeRatzo says:

Will this trailer make the 2014 Advent Calendar?

I don’t see why a company should have to actually produce a game. I mean, they’ve got the idea, and the artwork and god knows the funding and they’ve produced this beautiful trailer so maybe we should just stop being so mean to indie developers and stop expecting them to release an actual game, too.

You want computer games to be art, so here it is… conceptual art.

I mean, with all the early-alpha access games, we’re practically at that point already.

8. azrd79 says:

Cat looks like it’s staring into the screen all the time while ignoring everything else…. kinda weird.

9. boundless08 says:

I just love this game. Its the first game I’ve ever backed on kickstarter and it just sucked me in with its fluidity.

It really reminds me of the original 2 oddworld games. The fluid movements, bleak surroundings, unknown world you must discover, and the moody sounds and music throughout.

Really hope they reach they’re 50k mark!

10. SillyWizard says:

I’ve now seen between 5-10 minutes of footage from this game, and have yet to witness any appreciable amount of rain.

Lies and calumny!

• LTK says:

I recall that it only rains on the surface of Rain World, and it rains so hard that it obliterates anything that might venture up there.

Comment on this story