Sparkling Sequel: Waves – Arena Tactics Hits Kickstarter

By Adam Smith on February 5th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Gorgeous, punishing and rare, Waves was a top-down twin-stick shooter that did more with a single screen and five minute bursts of action than some first-person shooters do with world-spanning multi-million dollar campaigns. I first played it at the Eurogamer Expo and, upon remembering that I’m cack-handed when it comes to speedy action, I shrank away from the controller to save face. And then I went home and bought it to practice in the safety of my own home. The sequel has just arrived on Kickstarter, after two years of development, and £30,000 is needed to complete the design. It looks fantastic, adding procedurally generated arenas, online multiplayer, new weapons and much more. Video below.

Here’s a list of what the sequel already contains:

Procedural Arena Generation
Inventory and Equipment System
Modular Weapons, Buffs and Debuffs system
All new AI interface
Online Multiplayer Integrated with Steamworks
Ten Unique Weapons
Five Super Weapons
Eight Support Items
Ten Single Player Arenas
Eight Enemies

And here’s what the Kickstarter money will pay for:

Soundtrack by Robert Stjärnström of Machinae Supremacy
Five Singleplayer Game Modes
Five Competitive multiplayer Game Modes
Two Co-Operative mulitplayer Game Modes
Seven New Enemies
Dozens of Upgrades
New GUI
New Arena and Enemy Art
Multiplayer Arenas
Testing and Balancing and Testing and Balancing

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. barelyhomosapien says:

I was just playing a few rounds of waves the other day! A truly great little game, still my favourite dual stick/arena shooter. Still can’t top 138,000,000. Think I’ll be heading to kick starter now!

2. The First Door says:

I’m really sad I could never get into the original Waves, as I adore twin stick shooters. I tried so hard and just kept bouncing off of it. There was just something I couldn’t parse quickly enough about the enemy design, I think.

Still, it’s always nice to see people making this type of game, so good luck to them/him!

3. Stirbelwurm says:

Well, it really looks nice, but also kinda … slow-paced. I mean, what you see is a ball that is slowly rolling away from enemies that follow him and which seem to take pretty long to destroy.
    This is nothing like the frantic fighting in Waves, where you are destroying stuff every second of the game and clear the screen repeatedly with the wave-mechanic, which I haven’t really seen in the video. Is this video just a bad example or does it really play this way?

Also, what is the use of a minimap that shows you exactly what you already see on screen?

To be honest, I don’t really want to sound to negative here, I really liked the first game. It just looks like I won’t like the second one, as it seems to be really different.

• SquidInABox says:

The game is in pre-alpha right now so what you are seeing isn’t final gameplay. The point of the game wasn’t to replace the original but to create a new game with similar aesthetics but that offers a different experience of twin-stick shooters.

• Stirbelwurm says:

Yeah, I thought as much, fair enough I guess. I just think that some might be disappointed, that see this game as the successor to the original Waves and expect a game similiar to it.

Anyway, I’ll keep watching this game, maybe I’ll change my mind ;)

• SquidInABox says:

The great thing about how I’ve built the sequel is that there is a combination of items that will allow you to play the game similarly to the original if you wanted. This is not a combination that will work well in the multiplayer modes though.

Comment on this story