Within Striking: Distance Alpha Trailer Cuts To The Chase

By Graham Smith on February 5th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

My most tortured headline ever?

It seems a very long time ago – back in 2012 – that scifi racer Distance hit its Kickstarter target. The game promises to expand on the concept laid forth in the original student project – still free, still worth playing – in which you could race cars, fly cars, drive cars up walls, and otherwise try to stay alive amidst a world of giant, neon buzzsaws.

A new trailer from the game’s (private) alpha shows the game’s progress so far towards its (public to those who buy it) beta.

Distance is described as a “survival racing game”, which means it blends arcade-style controls and physics with lots of things that are trying to kill you. It’s a little like Sonic All-Stars Racing meets OutRun meets TRON which, geez, is a pretty exciting combination of things to be.

In case you were wondering, the best bit in the trailer is when your car gets sliced in half but you can just keep driving until the missing chunk re-materializes.

The game comfortably cleared its Kickstarter project, earning $160,000 on a requested $125,000, but you can still pitch in (and, you know, own the eventual game) by buying it via their site. The “when it’s ready” beta costs $15.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MeatMan says:

I really liked the wonderfully free Nitronic Rush, which is why I backed the Distance KS. The game conitinues to look good, so I’m very much looking forward to playing it. It’s one of my most anticipated games of 2014.

2. Turkey says:

Oh, I was hoping I would have to build a shelter for my car in order to survive the night.

3. Mr. Mister says:

That’s the best release date announcement trailer I’ve seen this side of the universe.

4. The First Door says:

Oh my, I am so looking forward to this being released to the beta backers. I’ve been craving a good new arcade racing game for such a long time and Nitronic Rush was so fun! Graham’s right, of course, the fact that the lasers and saws can cut bits off your car is definitely the best bit. Followed closely by the fact you are driving a flying car!

One minor note of concern: I hope they let you have 3-player splitscreen with equal sized splits… or else there will definitely be accusations of someone winning only as they had the bigger screen.

5. melnificent says:

August 2013 can’t come soon enough for the beta release (according to the kickstarter).

• youhavemyaxe says:

Don’t remind me. I wish to game this game so badly.

• PopeRatzo says:

August 2013 can’t come soon enough for the beta release

Kickstarter. It’s a beautiful thing. God, I’m glad the idea wasn’t around back in the early days of the Industrial Revolution or we’d still be tilling the earth by hand and crapping in outhouses.

• grom.5 says:

That said, productions which are not kickstarted are not immune to delay.

*cough* Duke Nukem Forever *cough*

• melnificent says:

Difference between unusual and routine though. DNF was/is unusual in that it was a AAA project that spent over a decade in development. Most AAA games are released within their target window.

Kickstarted games projects are delivered on time about roughly 1/3 the time. They are so routinely late that we expect it now. High profile kickstarters such as Broken Age were over budget and very late. (october 2012 turned into January 2014), and that is only a partial delivery as it was changed from the proposal into a 2 part game. The actually delivery date is still unknown.

• The First Door says:

Erm… I’m relatively sure it’s pretty much routine for AAA games to be delayed these days too, especially the PC ports!

• grom.5 says:

Duke Nukem was the worst, but delay are not rare.

Also, one other difference. Kickstarter project seek found to make something at first. Because it’s on the beginning of the project, it’s quite hard to get a real deadline, and they can’t said “when it’s done” because Kickstarter rewards need a date.

When you have a release date for a AAA game, you can be sure that they worked on it since one/two years and they already have to reported it many times (and even with this, it’s common to have another delay after official announcement)

6. lordfrikk says:

Rollcage III! Yes!

7. PopeRatzo says:

A trailer for the alpha.

We’re close to The End now…

8. Caiman says:

Are they steering that car by… by… keyboard? I admire that.

Comment on this story