Transformers: Universe MMO Transforms Into “MOTA”

By John Walker on February 6th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

We need a summit, where all game developers of the world gather together and decide on an agreed genre title for DOTA-clones. There’s MOBA, there’s ARTS, “hero-brawler”… We all have to agree on just one. In the meantime, Jagex, they behind the monolithic Runescape, have declared that their mysteriously silent Transformers Universe has chi-cha-cha-cho-chood from an MMO to one of whatever they’re called. In their case, a “Massively Online Tactical Action game”.

I’ll let Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard explain,

“Transformers Universe offers fast-paced, battle centric, tactical action with a selection of game modes for core gamers, casual gamers and Transformers enthusiasts alike. As the Commander of a new squad, you will recruit, maintain and battle others with a unique collection of Transformers warriors created in collaboration with our friends at Hasbro.”

So this explains why things went so quiet about the game in 2013. However, the game is due to go into beta in the Summer. (A time delineation, it occurs to me, must be very annoying for people in the Southern hemisphere. Sorry folks.) So all the new news about the game should be coming soon, with trailers and proper details. In the meantime, if a Transformes-themed DOTAMOBAbrawler is what you’ve always wanted, then you may high-five yourself now.

Cheers VG247.

, , , .

1. Skeletor68 says:

Can we not just agree on ‘Lords Management’ as an alternative to MOBA? It s played on the Lord’s pitch. Let’s Lock and Lord etc. (Thank you Sean Vanaman)

• SnoozeFest says:

‘Lords Management’ really has to be the one true name for the genre, I’ve even used it, so it must be true.

• Lemming says:

I think it should be the ‘weed whacker’ genre. It’s a lot like gardening sped-up.

• InnerPartisan says:

Yes. Lords Management is the only true name for the genre. Anybody who disagrees is just a silly, silly fool.

• RaveTurned says:

The only objection I have here is that “as an alternative to” could imply that MOBA is equally acceptable. NOPE. :P

• Faillie says:

my best friend’s sister makes $74 /hr on the laptop . She has been out of work for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $16444 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit this web-site….

2. MaximusG says:

How about “shit”? Describes DotA and its clones quite nicely I feel.

• John Walker says:

What’s your favourite genre of games, MaximusG?

• Kitsunin says:

I must apologize for MaximusG, I forgot to teach him proper colloquial use of the word “the”.

• Zankmam says:

The only “shit” thing is such an attitude.

• Mokinokaro says:

Yeah come on.

I don’t understand the appeal of the genre myself and find the community surrounding it downright toxic a lot of the time but just jumping in to shit up the comment section is rather pathetic.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

A little blunt, maybe, but I can understand a certain degree of weariness regarding the forced proliferation of MOBAs. Lord of the freaking Rings? REALLY? The genre’s filled to bursting in no time at all, the only game that tried to do anything remotely different with the formula was Smite, and besides, all the edgy kids are flooding the market with early access survival crafting zombie games now instead. Perhaps they should do that. Teletran Z. You play as Rumble.

• malkav11 says:

I was never a fan of the way everyone leapt to make an MMO like they stood any chance of bringing home Blizzard bucks, but god, the new bandwagon trend towards lords management games is even more benightedly ill-conceived. Both of these spaces have a maybe not strictly finite, but certainly a fairly constrained set of potential customers. I’d argue that the LOMA space is significantly smaller (being a subset of the already subset-y group of competitive gamers) and much more likely to settle primarily on a couple of core games and essentially ignore all the others.

For starters, multiplayer games live and die on community, so that’s already a problem for MMOs but absolutely critical for competitive multiplayer games. If population density is low on most MMOs, you can still solo or run in small groups with friends. If it’s low with a competitive game, you may just not be able to play. This means that certain games tend to develop a critical mass and everything else rapidly dwindles and coasts along with a few hardcore fans that will be way too good for any new people to get into the game, at best, or the community evaporates entirely, at worst.

Secondly, with an MMO, you may or may not have a lot of gameplay innovation to bring to the table, but you can at least pitch a novel setting, story, and worldbuilding or a popular license and people will check you out just to play in your world. With a competitive game, a novel premise may get some people interested with some genres, but LOMA games have little wiggle room to generate those and I pretty much guarantee no one is playing for the worldbuilding or license. You also will have issues differentiating yourself from the crowd because League of Legends and DOTA 2 for sure and probably most of the others release new characters on a regular basis and each one of those characters will represent at least some level of playstyle that’s now been done.

I’m sure there’s still room for people to come up with something new and cool in the genre (the Sins of a Solar Empire guys sounded like they had neat ideas for theirs) but it just seems like a really bad fit for me-too endeavours.

• Shooop says:

They’re probably a lot more fun if you have a dedicated group to play with.

But everyone and their grandmother jumping on the bandwagon to make them without pushing any new ground in them is getting tiring.

3. Philopoemen says:

they’ve got three weeks left of summer here in Oz, so they better get cracking, Also, could there be a worse picture of Optimus on the interwebs?

• Zekiel says:

It is oddly dreadful isn’t it? What is going on with his mouth? He looks like a cross between Optimus and C-3PO.

• Spacewalk says:

I think that it’s cute.

• Stardreamer says:

Drawn by somebody who hates Transformers.

…Michael. Is that you?

• Neurotic says:

It’s a still from the recent ‘Resuce Bots’ series or something. It’s specifiably designed for very young viewers.

4. DatonKallandor says:

It sounds like each player will control more than one unit at a time. Frankly it sounds more like a small scale online only RTT than a Moba, so them not using the term is justified.

5. prian says:

Everyone I know and their dog all use the term MOBA.

I wasn’t aware that this was still in flux?

• Mokinokaro says:

DOTA fanboys hate the term just because Riot came up with it. They want to use “lords management” because it was used by IceFrog or someone else connected to their game.

It’s just fanboys being dumb. No surprise there.

As for this particular game they’re just going from one over saturated genre to another by the looks of it. Though the fact you control more than one unit might be enough of a spin on the formula to let it stand out.

• SnoozeFest says:

The term ‘Lords Management’ was coined by Idle Thumbs, not by anyone who has any connection with any of the games (other than having played one).
        Just look at that name, ‘Lords Management’, its a lighthearted piss take, which makes it the best ‘neutral’ name anyone has come up with. Its funny for both people who play and don’t play the genre. (I play LoL in case you were wondering)

Other than that, Mokinokaro is correct. The reason everyone is coming up with new names is because they don’t want to be associated with the Riot LoL MOBA branding.

• Mokinokaro says:

Lords Management makes as much sense as MOBA. It sounds more like what I’d classify Crusader Kings.

• aldrenean says:

No, people hate “MOBA” because it’s horrendously redundant and not in any way descriptive. “Multiplayer online” is obviously stupid, and “battle arena” is barely better. The acronym could be used to accurately describe 90% of competitive online games ever made. My distaste for it is completely separate from my distaste for Riot’s policies.

ARTS is only better by the slightest of margins, and that’s only because it’s parallel structure to “ARPG”. LOMA is the only acronym that I’ve seen that both rolls off the tongue and uniquely describes the genre.

Calling people fanboys is not a constructive argument, and anyway I think most DotA fanboys would prefer they just be called “DotA clones”.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Naming the genre after the first game in the genre is more stupid than any of the other options tbh. Lets rename FPS to Doom-like, RTS to Dune-like etc. Such a stupid idea desired only by the idiot Dota fanboys out there.

• aldrenean says:

… That’s literally exactly what I said. “DotA fanboys would prefer they just be called “DotA clones”.” I completely agree that it’s stupid and unwieldy. But so is “MOBA”.

Anyway if you want to get technical DotA wasn’t the first one, Aeon of Strife was.

• MaXimillion says:

Blizzard uses Hero Brawler
      Valve uses Action RTS
      Hipsters use AoS
      Marketers use MOBA
      Sensible people use Lane Pushing Game (LPG)

• DatonKallandor says:

LPG doesn’t work because Bloodline Champions (among other things) is in the same genre. They have neither lanes, nor pushing.

Or had. Fuck you Funcom.

• _Nocturnal says:

LPG is the only option! Saw it here first a long time ago, not sure how it hasn’t caught up yet.

DatonKallandor: Surely a game without lanes and pushing is *not* in the same genre as DOTA, LOL etc. but simply a team based deathmatch sort of thing? One has to draw the line somewhere and for me, lane-pushing is the defining characteristic of those games, not the top-down perspective, the RPG-lite progression or the renamed/reskinned Warcraft III skills.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

LPG sucks, the proper moniker is SAUSAGES of ASSFAGGOTS.
        There is no other option.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I just use Dota. Or Dota-alikes. Dota-style games. Something like that.

6. Rao Dao Zao says:

Strategic Area Under Siege: Attack Groups of Enemy Soldiers.

Yay, I remembered it this time.

7. RaveTurned says:

MOTA? I’ll bet those Autobots had something to do with this.

8. AshleyDSolis says:

my friend’s mother makes $70 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for 5 months but last month her pay was $18472 just working on the computer for a few hours. Find Out More,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.Fizzjob.com

9. JeCa says:

I always though LPG (Lane Pushing Game) was a very fitting description for DoTa-likes, with the added (debatable) benefit of allowing a second subgenre for hero-centric isometric action games with strategical and character building elements which do not focus specifically on pushing lanes (bloodline champions, wizard wars, forced etc).

10. RedViv says:

I bet it won’t even feature The Touch, which will make it purely mathematically 1872 times less grand than The Movie.

11. Turin Turambar says:

Smite with Transformers

12. Capt. Raven says:

No matter what you call ‘em, I still regard this genre as fundamentally flawed and can’t for the life of me understand, why anyone would want to play them or why devs keep making new ones…other than “It’s a cashcow” and “All my friends are playing it, so I guess I am playing it”.

13. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Wonder if they’ll include any female bots in this one. I love the franchise (with certain exceptions) but it’s long running tendency of being a bit of a dude-fest can be a little boring at times.

14. Mudlab says:

I wonder if they’re aware of what mota means in slang terms…

15. Mokinokaro says:

Lords Management has already been claimed by Crusader Kings, sorry

16. SillyWizard says:

Massively Online? That’s a stupid thing to say. It’s either online, its not online, or it’s both. All, none, or some of each.

None of those gets “massively” as an adjective.

• The Random One says:

Massively online means a lot of people (a massive amount, if you will) are connected to a single “instance” of the game and therefore playing the same match to some degree.

This game does not appear to do that, so maybe it’s just online. OTA.

€: Never mind, you’re right. On expressions like MMO massive is always a modifier to multiplayer, not online. A massively multiplayer online game is online, and massively multiplayer because there are a lot of games.

They must have mixed up their M’s.

• SillyWizard says:

Either that or their grasp of language is unmatched by their desire to sound “cool.”

17. orangetruck says:

chi-cha-cha-cho-chood?

I think not.

Kee-Koo-Ka-Ker-Cher is surely what you meant to say.

18. ColleenMKing says:

my friend’s half-sister makes $82 /hr on the internet . She has been fired for five months but last month her paycheck was $18859 just working on the internet for a few hours.
    why not look here ,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

19. Neurotic says:

Well I have no love of anything like DOTA – it’s far too fast and frantic for my nerves and my patience. But I do love me some Transformers. (G1 ftw). So, count me IN.

20. Werthead says:

Reminds me of the guy in Veep who is obssessed with turning everything into acronyms (“F-DOTUS” for “First Dog of the United States”).

“You can’t just invent new acronyms!”
    “Well, someone HAS to!”