Autobots Rock’n'Roll Out: Transformers Universe

By Alec Meer on February 7th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Off the back of news that Jagex’s Transformers MMO has bumblebeen re-imagined as a MOBAy thing comes a noisy old trailer full of big metal things hitting other big metal things. It also features several Notimus Primes and Megishtrons, suggesting that the game will be perfectly accommodating to anyone who prefers a simulacrum of their most beloved Cybertronians to playing with more bespoke bots.

Nyow nyow nyow nyow, widdly widdly wee, kerrang, etc. Full of robots, certainly, though it doesn’t give anything away in terms of the MOBA aspect.

Still, looks pretty enough – in some ways better than the oddly arid Transformers Prime CGI cartoon whose style it emulates – and has some neat transformations. I guess this will be the first MOBA I try to play in earnest, helpless Transformers fan (despite best attempts not to be) that I am.

A beta’s due this Summer, which you can throw your name in the hat for here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. misterT0AST says:

If I may, after spending 1700 hours between Dota and LoL (and Warcraft III, because it matters), give my opinion on the classification of the genre, (and make it sound less strange and hostile to those unfamiliar), I consider it a session based RPG. Much like a PvP WoW, but instead of going from level 1 to level 120, you go from level 1 to 25, and buy your items from scratch. It’s basically a pvp rpg, in a small map and with few players, resetting with every game.

This definition has the benefit to include in the genre those versions of these games that don’t have lanes to push, or don’t center around that (League of Legends Dominion, that Marvel thing, the new modes of Smite, Awesomenauts).

That “Lords management” thing sounded appropriate, it’s a bit weird to hear “Lord” used to indicate Heroes/Champions, because it’s a term I’ve never seen used, it makes sense, but it seems like a bit less descriptive than just saying they’re mini-mmorpgs divided in sessions with less items/space/players/time/levels.

I feel they’re much closer to the pvp part of Guild Wars, WoW and the like than people think. The difference is that you always start on par with your enemy, so the fight is always balanced.

• Geebs says:

“Lords management” sounds like a game where you make sure tea is on time and that the sunlight doesn’t get between the sight screens and distract the batsman. I would totally play that if only to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth at the overpriced scones.

• Low Life says:

Quite.

• HaroldJLawyer says:

my classmate’s step-mother makes $65 /hour on the computer . She has been fired from work for 8 months but last month her check was $17235 just working on the computer for a few hours. read this post here……….. http://www.KeptMoney.com

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Somebody make a Upstairs Downstairs SAUSAGES.

• ShamekaSKeener says:

my roomate’s sister-in-law makes $81 every hour on the laptop . She has been laid off for 9 months but last month her pay check was $16495 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go now …………….http://WWW.MAC30.COM

• Theimithad72 says:

my friend’s ex-wife makes $72 an hour on the laptop . She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $12731 just working on the laptop for a few hours. navigate to this website…

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.Jobs84.com

• bit_crusherrr says:

“Role Playing Game”

Outside of leveling up and buying gear I don’t see what DOTA/LOL have in common with an RPG.

• P.Funk says:

Its kind of how people’s definition of punk music has come to be defined as anything angsty adorned with a studded belt.

2. LionsPhil says:

Since most Transformers seem to disguise as road vehicles, does this mean that the lanes of this lane-pushing-game might actually be highways with regular cars for mobs, and the horrible objective is to riddle the opposing team’s city base with a complete traffic gridlock?

This summer, if the robots don’t punch the other robots, everyone might be Late. For. Work.

• AbigailBuccaneer says:

RPS comment section parodies of games almost always sound like fun and innovative gems that I’d love to play.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Its not really a pun, but:
      “Complete Traffic Grimlock” seemed an appropriate thing to say at this time

3. RedViv says:

No Touch No Sale

4. DeVadder says:

Wow, that music…
    I bet now you people who complained about wubwub in game trailers feel really stupid, right? Right?

• Geebs says:

“Jagex! Remember what I said last time. You let Kasabian out of the tumble dryer THIS MINUTE!”

5. DatonKallandor says:

Maybe the reason there’s no hint of MOBA in the trailer is BECAUSE YOU INVENTED THE WHOLE “THIS IS A MOBA” FACT.
    The original press paragraph doesn’t mention it being anything close to a MOBA.

6. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Well. Hm.

Not sure how to feel about this since I was not the biggest fan of TF: Prime or its art style. (Maybe I didn’t watch enough of it.)

Don’t get me wrong; it’s okay, and at least this seems to have more texture, but I just felt like it was trying too hard appeal to fans of every conceivable series rather than really finding its own way.

It is nice to see the Megatronesque guy is back to (maybe) having more red in his color scheme, (Doing him up in mostly silver and purple lately has been getting on my nerves personally) but he’s still dangerously close to not having a nose; arguably my least favorite TF: Prime design affectation.

Also, I see they’re still being awfully thin on female characters and mostly forcing them to be motorcycles. Meh.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, it’s not G1, that’s for sure. At any rate.. I can get over that if the gameplay is good. But then again.. do I need another Dota style game in my life? Not sure if I do.

7. SophiaButler says:

I’m not sure I’m up for giving JAGEX another chance considering the sexist armour in Runescape’s 3rd graphical update..

Runescape… of all places…

( Specifics; most of the armour given cleavage windows, a few important mage sets being completely stupid, such as Batwing armour ).

Batwing compared to the starter mage robes (the male set completely covers); https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwmv1mcq4fd9e29/runescapebatwing.png

8. MacTheGeek says:

All these trailers, and not one energon cube. What do they run on these days, puppies?

9. EmmaPJohnson says:

my classmate’s mom makes $87 every hour on the internet . She has been without a job for five months but last month her pay was $14723 just working on the internet for a few hours.
    visit site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.Fizzjob.com