Free Civ V Expansionette, + New SuperMegaComplete Pack

By Alec Meer on February 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

The release of Civilization V: The Complete Edition rather suggests we’ve reached end of the line for Firaxis’ latest history-spanning strategy game, and thus can start drawing up our mental wishlists for Civ VI. Though if I’ve learned anything in this business, it’s that there’s any number of final-sounding suffixes left in the game names cupboard. Be braced for Civ V: Ultimate, Civ V: Director’s Cut, Civ V: What They Couldn’t Show Gandhi Doing In Cinemas, and Civ V: In A Different Box.

Back to that shortly, however. The Cool Thing happening off the back of this new omnibus edition is a new and free Civ V scenario that’s being given to existing and future Brave New World owners for no-pennies. Said scenario is also a little bit Colonizationy (but only a little bit).

The Conquest of the New World Deluxe Scenario is, in fact, a revamp of a game mode that was previously only available as part of the ‘Spain & Inca Civilization and Scenario’ DLC, but as well being embiggened will be a freebie to anyone who bought or buys the (rather good) Brave New World expansion pack. If you don’t own BNW, it’s no freebies for you I’m afraid.

I wasn’t quite sure what it was, so I got 2K to tell me this:

“The year is 1492. To the courts of Europe come intrepid explorers, anxious to voyage across the Atlantic in search of a western route to China and the Indies. Will they find their new trade route and unlock those riches from the Orient, or do entirely new lands stand in their way? Who will prevail in the struggle for supremacy over this New World?”

As I say, a wee bit Colonizationy in theme, and it even shares a starting year, though it doesn’t play the same way.

It’s billed an ‘enhanced’ version of its former self, which entails the number of Civs increasing to 10 and turns to 150. It also “adds Religion, Trade Routes, Mercantile and Religious City States, new scenario-specific Buildings, Wonders and Resources” and has a fiddle with its Policy and Tech tress, as well as including a new Victory Point system.

Doing some research suggests that the original Conquest Of The New World scenario (and the DLC which housed it) was well-received and included a surprising amount of bespoke stuff (e.g. its own tech tree), but people did grumble about its length/value proposition – so this new version addresses that as well as putting it in the hands of a whole lot more people.

Meanwhile, The Complete Edition is a new box/download collection which includes every single morsel of Civ V released to date, including both full expansion packs, all 13 pieces of DLC and this new/revamped scenario too. It’s due out today, for £29.99, which isn’t a bad deal given buying everything from Steam individually clocks in at almost £80, though it may not sound quite so good to anyone who’s already bought some but not all of the extra stuff.

, , , , , .

1. ghling says:

You also can head over to the latest HumbeBundle and get Civ V with all Expansions (including Brave New World) for 15+ $.

• HadToLogin says:

But you won’t get all those additional Civilizations and maps, so unless you really need it now, just wait for Summer -75% sale.

• Montavious says:

I only have the base game and the first expansion. I would have gotten it if it had A brave New World included. So Ill wait for the big sale too.

• secuda says:

Goodluck to get it cheap enough on steam sale so it can compeate with original prices in store.
        i bet it will be more like 25% when it will be on summer sale, and thats not enough to compeat with fysiical mail orders (unless the game itself is around 20USD).

• ulix says:

The only civilizations you’re missing are Babylon, Polynesia, Denmark, Korea & the Incas (the Spanish are included in Gods & Kings).

I really don’t care about the map packs, so the Humble Bundle is an incredible deal.
        Sure, you’re missing 5 civs, but you’re already getting 38 other civs with the base game and the two addons If I’ve counted correctly).

• kunzenbuninfa says:

Today they added the Scrambled Nations and Scrambled Continents map packs for anyone that paid more than the average coin (and also Sid’s Pirates). so $15.01 gets you more goodness now…

• battles_atlas says:

On the topic of the HumbleBundle, can someone explain to me what the deal is with the Civ IV ‘complete’ edition in there?

I bought it, and now on Steam I have 4 different versions of Civ IV, the original and one for each of the expansions. Which is retarded surely? Isn’t there an actual ‘Complete’ version?

basilisk says:

Nope. Those entries are there in case you wanted to play without any of the expansions, because you can’t turn those off from inside the game. If you want the full Civ IV experience, launch Beyond the Sword which includes the base game and both the Warlords and BTS expansion, making it the “Complete” version. Colonization is actually a separate game.

It’s confusing and stupid, but it’s clear no one is going to bother trying to fix it.

• Deano2099 says:

Beyond The Sword is the complete edition if you just want to play regular Civ games. Loading the base game lets you play the tutorial (as they didn’t bother updating it for the BTS mechanics, though it sucks anyway) and listen to Baba Yetu on the title screen.

Warlords lets you play the 8 Warlords scenarios as they weren’t put in BTS either.

Colonization is a completely different game running on the same engine, but with major changes in mechanics and rules.

DragonOfTime says:

If I remember correctly, you can even change the title music to Baba Yetu in the settings in Beyond the Sword.

• 0positivo says:

Which, let’s be honest, everyone should do

• Strangerator says:

I guess I’ll install BTS now! I actually have just been playing vanilla as a get back into it, mostly because I wanted to hear Baba Yetu.

• battles_atlas says:

Thanks for info guys

• Moraven says:

Possible scenarios of buying Humble Bundle(Civ 5 + both expansions) + DLC vs Civ 5 Complete Edition (in USD):

Buy Bundle now, buy DLC Steam Sale later
      DLC -00% ($57.50) + $15 bundle = $72.50
      DLC -50% ($28.75) + $15 bundle = $43.75
      DLC -75% ($14.38) + $15 bundle = $29.39

Get Complete Edition now or on a Steam sale in the future
      (complete editions tend to be discounted less than older DLC)
      Complete Edition at -00% off – $50
      Complete Edition at -33% off – $33.5
      Complete Edition at -50% off – $25

Humble Bundle DOES NOT include:

Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization – Mediterranean
      Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization – Asia
      Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization – Americas
      Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization – Mesopotamia
      Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca
      Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack
      Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Scrambled Nations Map Pack
      Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)
      Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia
      Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark – The Vikings
      Civilization V: Explorer’s Map Pack
      Civilization V – Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack
      Civilization V – Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea

• ulix says:

As I’ve explained above:
        If you don’t care for the map packs (and honestly, in a game with procedural maps, who does?) you’re only missing out on 5 of the 43 civilizations. You’re still getting 38 of them, which is pretty great.

(Spain was included in Gods & Kings)

• Moraven says:

Even so, some might want everything and it is good to know that it is best to get the Complete Edition now or later when it is on sale.

• Theimithad72 says:

my friend’s ex-wife makes $72 an hour on the laptop . She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $12731 just working on the laptop for a few hours. navigate to this website…

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.Jobs84.com

amateurviking says:

Civ V has attained a new lease of life due to the dedicated touch-mode and my foray into Windows 8* tablet (Surface Pro 2) territory. It goes with me just about everywhere now. I’m hoping they do the same touch interface treatment for XCOM too.

*The OS makes a *lot* more sense as a primarily touch- or wacom-driven experience. Not tried it with a big monitor + keyboard and mouse yet though.

• Evil Pancakes says:

I have, and Windows 8 is absolute pants with a “normal” desktop or even laptop setup, thank jeebus I still had a Win7 disc lying around.
      Would like to try it on a tablet or phone though, I imagine it would work quite nicely.

• BTAxis says:

If you’re willing to do a minimal amount of tinkering Windows 8 is just as useable as Windows 7 on a desktop. It’s Metro that makes it pants, so the trick is getting rid of that.

• Kinch says:

I think a lot of it is bias and superstition. Windows 8 is just as usable as 7, but has occasional compatibility issues with older apps and games. I’ve had hardly any issues with W8, and I’m a power user. I think the only issue I had so far is that Dark Souls would not work no matter what.

Back to the topic though. I’ve put about 30 hours into Civ V so far (BNW and G&K included) but haven’t tried the scenarios yet. Are they any fun?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Dark Souls and other GFWL stuff can’t work in 8 and 8.1 because of a wrong client, you simply have to follow this guide http://www.alialsawaf.com/post/36741943821/how-to-fix-games-for-windows-live-on-windows-8-pro-x64

Go and reinstall, thank the interwebs!

I’m a happy user of 8.1 btw, but mostly because i got 8 offered with 30 bucks as an upgrade to a not-so-official ( ahem ) version of Windows 7 ultimate i had. BAM! Licensed pro edition! Yarr! Then came the free upgrade to 8.1 which i delayed a bit to let them sort of the kinks, always wise with Microsoft.

Would i run this OS now if it wasn’t for that deal? Probably not, but i can’t really complain, everything is going smooth for me and there’s even a little performance bump for games and various other stuff, especially if multithreaded, something which non believers can easily google. It’s just a good OS all in all, just takes some getting used to but it’s not even as tragic as the most stubborn and unadaptable of individuals would claim.

And yes, i’m aware people are worried not just by Metro but by the possible direction MS might take with their store, but the truth is that the latter is simply useless for us and nothing changed since it’s introduction. Let’s not sink into doom talking.

• Kinch says:

Cheers for the guide – I was aware there were ways to make DS working on Win8, but I took the easier path and finished in on 360 and got it running OK on my old PC.

Can’t install 8.1 on my SSD/HDD combo IdeaPad Y580. Not sure why but Lenovo doesn’t support it.

• programmdude says:

To be honest I think win8 has less compatibility issues then win7, due to the removal of aero. But I liked aero, and metro gets in the way for everything. So while you can tweak most of it, it does leave the question why bother in the first place? I personally don’t use any windows 8 features, they get in the way occasionally, and if you aren’t using metro then there really is no reason to use windows 8 at all.

• derbefrier says:

really? I have played tons of darksouls on Win8 and the only thing i had to do to get it to work was to log into xbox lives website and accept the ToS(after discovering this through trial and error since the error message it gives told me I had no internet connection) and it worked fine. Mine was a fresh install though and not an update perhaps that’s the difference?

• LawL4Ever says:

If anyone has major problems with GFWL, I’d just crack the game. I had to do it with DS, since GFWL wouldn’t let me log in no matter what I tried, even after installing all the fixes I could find.

• Baines says:

Running Win 8.1, I haven’t had any issue with GFWL.

I have had issues with some older games in general, but that is due to Steam or developers assuming stuff that shouldn’t necessarily be assumed. (Prime culprit being games like the Steam version of Jade Empire, which along with other issues, assumes that Steam is in “C:\Program Files\”, which isn’t true if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows.)

Though that fullscreen memory leak was annoying. (From Win 8.1′s release until at least December, and it may still be present, if you were using integrated graphics and ran a program fullscreen at a resolution or refresh rate different from your desktop resolution, then Windows had a memory leak that would continue until you alt-tabbed to the desktop, exited the program, or crashed. For months the cause went undiagnosed, I guess because people didn’t expect such an issue in the OS or Intel drivers.)

bills6693 says:

I’ve quite enjoyed the scenarios for a shorter play session. I don’t play skirmishes in anything less than large maps and am in that for the long haul, or multiplayer (weeks).

The scenarios change the rules up in interesting ways to open up different playstyles to what you’re used to. While there is often a military focus, not always – for example the Polynesia one is great, its all about culture (but you can use military power if you want of course).

• Kinch says:

Thanks! Culture sounds great because I generally dislike the combat in Civilization V.

• Borsook says:

How about Direct Draw acceleration was removed from Windows 8? There are hundreds of old games that work perfectly on Windows 7 but do not work on 8. Sure 8 is usable, but it doesn’t a single advantage on the desktop over 7 while having some serious drawbacks.

3. Unclepauly says:

Tried to get into this game at least 3 times, bounced off it each time. Never played a civ game before which could be why. The tutorial mode is weirdly non-tutorial-ish… or at least was. Maybe I’ll try one more time as it does look intredasting.

bills6693 says:

I never played one before either, but it has a lot to offer. I agree the tutorial isn’t a hand-holding ‘do this, do this’ but is advisors giving you advice and info about things as you first discover it. Its actually pretty cool, and you can get them to tell you more about things which is nice.

• DodgyG33za says:

I have played every one since the first one kept me up all night until the birds tweeted but I played one game of Civ 5 and gave it away. It made me sad. Somehow they fixed the things that weren’t broke, left the broken things broken and broke some more for good measure.

From memory it was unit stacking and the fact that you had no time to use techs before others got them, making a mockery of science.

Civ 3 was the pinnacle for me. I sank many 100′s of hours into it.

bills6693 says:

Unit stacking? You can have one civilian and one miliatary unit on a tile at a time but you can’t have multiple military or civilian units there.

Tech tree I disagree, you choose your routes through the tree and you can really get ahead of the other civs, but you might be lacking in other areas. You can really generate some scientific domination if you focus on increasing your research capabilities.

I come from the perspective of not having played the older games so maybe I missed out, but the game is fantastic to me. It is far, far, far better with BNW added on, it adds many new things. Apparently it brings it to being ‘as good or better than Civ IV’ but as I said, I haven’t played that so I can’t personally say.

• dontnormally says:

Civ V vanilla was seriously lacking. I enjoyed it, but if you didn’t, it’s worth trying again now with the expansions.

4. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to offer a flexible upgrade method on Steam, that adds more discount towards the ultimate edition the more stuff you already have.

It’ll probably happen though, they did that with Deus Ex Director’s cut.

• Asurmen says:

There sort of is already, but to the Gold edition which isn’t much less than Complete, so I’d expect that upgrade to, er, upgrade.

Arvind says:

It is spelled Gandhi. Dunno why but this misspell really bothers me for some reason. (Sorry for being pedantic)

6. Kollega says:

It’s really too bad that Brave New World didn’t include any alternate history scenarios, a-la Empires of the Smoky Skies. What about alternate WW2, or maybe something like science-fantasy, or a scenario about alien invasion?

Shockeh says:

I’m still hoping we eventually get a patch/update that resolves the way the AI behaves in Multiplayer games.

(I’m also hoping that the Mac version will get into step versionwise with the PC so Mac players can MP properly with the Master Race, but let’s not go crazy here.)

For context: In order to speed up the play in MP, the AI interaction code is disabled, meaning it’ll never contact you to say it’s unhappy, or wants to trade, or doesn’t like where you’re building, etc. The consequence of this is the AI appears to never declare war or sue for peace unless a player provokes it into doing so through a bribe, etc.

The result is the AI turns a little dumb if you start to abuse this (accidentally in the first instance, and hard to not ‘game’ it once you know) and makes it very difficult to have enjoyable cooperative multiplayer games with bot influences.

There’s been a mod that supposedly resolves it, but I believe all the players need to be running it.

8. Rollin says:

Civ 5 scenarios had a good premise but only lasted 2-3 hours because of the stupid turn limits that you can’t turn off. You can play past the limit I think, but the game then becomes meaningless because the winner is already declared.

bills6693 says:

You 100% definatly can turn it off and I have never played a game with the limits turned on.

When you set up a game just go to ‘advanced’ and I always untick the ‘Time’ victory and disable the turn limit.

Maybe this will give the game a new lease of life for you? A good match should last several days of play time :)

• Moraven says:

Scenarios are supposed to be set pieces balanced around the end turn limit. It wants to see how far you can get in that amount of time.

But I agree there should be the option and let people play how they want.

9. 2late2die says:

Yeah I pretty much buying anything Civ as soon as it comes out so I’ve got all that stuff already. Now, if they come out with a nice new fancy collector’s ultimate platinum edition then they’ll get at least one customer for it. :D

10. Stupoider says:

Was most of the DLC included in the Civ 5 GOTY Edition?

I remember having to buy some straggler bits of content (the other Civs for instance) but it was pretty comprehensive.

I’m still keeping my eye out for a <£10 Brave New World online, I'm expecting it come summer.

• garythehobo says:

in the humble bundle BNW works out at just over £9, plus you get all the other Sid Meiers stuff which is quite good

GiantPotato says:

> Civ V: In A Different Box.

Well done there. I usually wait until the IADB version is available so I can scoop up all the DLC.

Although these days, “Civ V: Return to the Steam Promo Page” might be more appropriate.